Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Hip Resurfacing

Hey sifu, sorry to hear that. Hope you recover quickly.
    Everyone's favorite wooden dummy

"All over people thinking martial arts is for making sexy body. That one is a wrong. Martial art is for making sexy mind and sexy spirit"- Master Po
    http://www.greencloud.net

Don't be a victim. Be the dominant turkey.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Cloud
    My recovery time seems to be taking longer than I expected, I had the surgery on thursday and I am still in a whole lot of pain and that's with pain killers.

I'm not alarmed at the pain since Dr. Su warned be about it. Long term pain for long term gain. I'm not being a baby about the pain just honest.

The worst part are the pain meds, they just weaken the mind and spirit. I had them take me off the the demoral that was being injeted with a cathetor. I couldn't feel a thing, the problem was I couldn't move my legs.

They do it this way right out of surgery so you don't go into shock from the pain. Anyway I wanted off the hard core pain killers. This meant more pain for a longer period of time.
    Yeah, the lady that I know that had that thought she'd be back at work the next week.

But she was back within a week and a half, but I don't know if she was on meds or not.

So if her experience is the same as yours, you'll probably be back on your feet without a walker or anything in about another week. Not bad, eh?

I started using my crutches last night witch felt pretty good. I've been doing Chi gung in liew of overdosing on pain killers. Deep breathing seems to work when I experience sharp pain.

I do as much as I can but I get tired after a hour or so, so I take frequent naps. Napping will eventualy be replaced with meditation.

I've also been using my bow flex and doing upper body stuff only and I make sure I never strain my hips. This type of exercise releases just enough endorphins in my body to keep me from getting depresed.

Sega play station is a must when stuck at home unfortunatly it's hard to play when loopy

Thanks, I started taking metrix about twice a day. there are other products out there that are beter if youre training for the UFC, but Metrix is awesome for rehabing after a surgery.

My recipee is vanila metrix mix with OJ and goes down like a smoothie em em good.

As far as meals I keep lite but eat more frequently, I basicaly eat beef broths, noodle soup, and ox tendon

It's day 2 since I'm home the pain is starting to lessesn wich means less pain killers. I am still in pain when trying to move my right leg but as long I use the crutches it's ok.

The key thing during recovery is not to damage the ball joint while the bone is growing into the chrome ball joint. This will take aprox. 8 weeks so I can't afford to bear any weight on it till the bone calcifies.

This is crucial since this is about the time when accidents can accur and a break in the hip can happen this can be dissasterous.

Sitting seems to be a project since most of the stiches are on my backside. The other chalenge or should I say precaution is that for the next 8 weeks I have to make sure my hips are always higher than my knee. I need to make sure that I never have a 90% angle this can hurt me and cause a malfuction in the ball joint.

I've set up some bungees and devises so I can comfortably work out my upper body while in a chair. Of course the crutches offer a great upper body work out.

8:51 am and I'm bored out of my mind so I decided to start playing with my crutches. I remembered sifu chan showing us something with crutches so since I have nothing better to do I begin peacing the movements together.

If it sounds like of lost my mind keep in mind I'm still hopped up on drugs. If anyone else has any better suggestions I'm all ears

Red face Good Luck

Good Luck hun I hope you have a speedy recovery..

Hey CJPT waass up hing dai, I had a bad day yesterday after overdoing it my knee swelled so I had to take it easy for the rest of the day. I am Feeling better today except I fell a bit nautious.

I can't wait to see ya unfortunatly I live about a hour east of Huntington, if you came out we would have to make the day out of it.

Hey what happen to Dave's training for a fight thread??? I blinked and then it was gone.

lol sounds like you are a perfect candidate for Halo II, and in 8 months Damo Cane...

one thing that helped my brother out immeasurably in the aftermath of his major surgery was keeping up his metabolism and keeping the blood flowing. SYM said this was all important and to eat eat eat. He also always kept on him to move and be as active as possible within reason. By the time my brother was ready for rehab he was already way beyond their regimen and they were amazed.

Makes sense since bloodflow is the mechanism that brings all the nutrients and takes away all the discard.

So if I understand this right, you have a metal socket now and the bone must grow some layers to secure a fit?- how do they get the bone- femur right? to stimulate new growth to fit the socket?

Hey Rich how are you, as far as the procedure goes they just hammer it in on top of the ball joint after they shave the ball joint down to fit.

If you go to this link they show a picture of it. hipresurfacingcenter.com

wow- heavy duty.

security screeners are going to love you, lol...

LOL yea I get a cool ID to go with my bionocs so I can get through security at air ports.

Detox

It's saturday and the worst is over. I was having bad reactions to my meds so I decided to get off them.

Sounds easy but it's not, getting off the meds meant severe withdrawl symptoms. Feeling a lot better today and I'm off all the meds now I can start getting my focus back

It,s six weeks since my surgery and I am recovering much faster than I thought.

I am now walking with a cane and have started working on my stances and Dr su who is my amazing surgeon has taken me off all restrictions.

The only thing I'm not allowed to do is high impact jumping. I started my PT and am working on developing my leg strength. Unfortunatly when undergoing this type of surgery the muscles atrophy fast and need some time to regain muscular control again.

I find that working on Chi Gung stretching, stance training for endurace, and ofcource the mundane task of working out with weights to develop muscle strength in my legs.

As far as my range of motion is concerned I have a better range of motion and it's only going to get better.

As far as kicking I'm like a beginer again in fact worse, but my doctor sais that's only temporary and should take about 3 to 6 months to regain my abilities.

Thank god for Kung Fu and it's wide variety of training tech. If I were a mixed MA guy Or a tae kwon do guy I'd be stuck to just weight training.

Since my style has a vast amount of fighting tech. I am actualy able to not only work out but also teach classes. I am simply working on basics stances with my students and working on long arm and short arm tech. Chi sao and trapping is my saving grace.

Iron palm training is something that doesn't require any impact on the legs and I am now incorporating it into my daily regiment.

Weapons training is something that doesn't require any high impact either, working on staff training helps work my upper body while helping me balace.

I don't mean to ramble but in the past I have had many debates with MMA guys about why kung fu is a very effective fighting style. Point being if I were a Jiu Jitsu guy I'd be stuck to PT due to the fact that rolling around would not be an option.

If I were to get attacked in the street my cane becomes a very effective weapon since it is part of ny system.

I'm not taking anything away from other styles but just pointing out the practical aspects of Kung Fu and why it's an all around effective style of MA, especialy when it come to injuries and age.

greencloud.net

greencloud.com
    Last edited by Green Cloud; 07-26-2006 at 07:52 AM.

Its six weeks since my surgery and I am recovering much faster than I thought.

I am now walking with a cane and have started working on my stances and Dr su who is my amazing surgeon has taken me off all restrictions.

The only thing I'm not allowed to do is high impact jumping. I started my PT and am working on developing my leg strength. Unfortunatly when undergoing this type of surgery the muscles atrophy fast and need some time to regain muscular control again.

I find that working on Chi Gung stretching, stance training for endurace, and of cource the mundane task of working out with weights to develop muscle strength in my legs.

As far as my range of motion is concerned I have a better range of motion and it's only going to get better.

As far as kicking I'm like a beginer again infact worse, but my doctor sais that's only temporary and should take about 3 to 6 months to regain my abilities.

Thank god for Kung Fu and it's wide variety of training tech. If I were a mixed MA guy Or a tae kwon do guy or some thing I'd be stuck to just weight training.

Since my style has a vast amount of fighting tech. I am actualy able to not only work out but also teach classes. I am simply working on basics stances with my students and working on long arm and short arm tech. Chi sao and trapping is my saving grace.

Iron palm training is something that doesn't require any impact on the legs and I am now incorporating it into my daily regiment.

Weapons training is something that doesn't require any high impact either, working on staff training helps work my upper body while helping me balace.

I don't mean to ramble but in the past I have had many debates with MMA guys about why kung fu is a very effective fighting style. Point being if I were a Jiu Jitsu guy I'd be stuck to PT due to the fact that rolling around would not be an option.

If I were to get attacked in the street my cane becomes a very effective weapon since it is part of ny system.

I'm not taking anything away from other styles but just pointing out the practical aspects of Kung Fu and why it's an all around effective style of MA, especialy when it come to injuries and age.