Page 61 of 102 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371 ... LastLast

Thread: Chan Tai San stories

Lama Videos

A few of the old video's from 1995 are still available. The original videos, they have been transferred to DVD. Slight loss in quality of the video, but nothing to worry about. Let me know if you want any, they are $45 each.

Cross Pattern Form (Sahp Jih Kyuhn)
    7-Star Form (Chaat Sing Kyuhn)
    5 Animal Form (Ng Ying Kyuhn)

Bench Form
    Tiger Fork Form
    Spear Form

Basics I & II

Let me know.

could chan san tai do light skills?

More Stories

resurection

was gone for a few months, enjoyed this thread b4. thought i would bring it back.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

i know there are a lot of pages to sift through, though i believe it has been mentioned that he plans on writing one.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

Wing Chun

first i'd like to say thanks for creating the thread to your Sifu...
    I found it 2 days ago as i entered a search on yahoo for his name and it brought me here... I didnt expect to read all 65 pages but I just couldnt stop! I had to join just be able to ask for your guidance...Once again thanx in advance...

Ok, the reason i was searching for his name is the following...

I have a son, he is 7 yrs old and I have been wanting to find him a good MA to start him with... unfortunately I currently live in OKlahoma City, where there is so little to choose from... personally i'm not a fan of the americanized sport directed MA and i would rather have something more "real" if you know what i mean, something that he doesnt do but instead something that becomes a part of him...
    by pure accident i stumbled across a small place while visiting a tax place during tax season... it was for Wing Chun... Now from reading your thread WC was discussed a few times, and you said that he didnt like the WC practiced here in america...
    well here is where i seek your assistance...
    this place claims the following:

Sifu Chan is a former student of Wing Chun Master Koo Sang who was a direct disciple of Yip Man, the Grandmaster of modern day Wing Chun Kung Fu. The late Grandmaster Yip Man was also Bruce Lee's teacher in Hong Kong. Sifu Chan has practiced Wing Chun Kung Fu and taught select students for over 25 years.
    Our lineage is "From Yip Man to Koo Sang to Sifu Chan".
    The picture to the right is Master Koo Sang.
    and here is the link to that page with a pic of Sifu Chan

http://www.wingchunokc.com/mypagesi.htm

so I dont want to take my son there if this place is basically a fraud off the bat!
    I met someone who goes there and they love it though... he says they are not all into the whole MA facade alot of places seem to have... they dont even have uniforms... which is basically what i've been looking for...

peace and blessings...

Fesone: the Sifu Chan at that Wing Chun school is a different Sifu Chan than the one this thread is dedicated too. However, Wing Chun is a good style and I'm sure your son will enjoy it. I would go there with your son and check out the school. Ask if he can do a free intro lesson to see how he likes it.

Oh, and more Chan Tai San stories please!
    Last edited by chud; 07-13-2006 at 12:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chud
    Fesone: the Sifu Chan at that Wing Chun school is a different Sifu Chan than the one this thread is dedicated too. However, Wing Chun is a good style and I'm sure your son will enjoy it. I would go there with your son and check out the school. Ask if he can do a free intro lesson to see how he likes it.

Oh, and more Chan Tai San stories please!
    AHhhhh...

wOw do i feel foolish now LOL...

well ... at least that mistake brought me to this forum...and gave me chance to read this thread, so it was a good mistake...

I would say your son at 7 years is too young to start wing chun

Take him to Brazilian Jiu Jitsu or Judo - he can grapple and roll around, get fit and not get hurt

Wing chun requires a lot of patience to learn and is more conceptual in nature

14 is about the youngest one should start wing chun I think.
    'In the woods there is always a sound...In the city aways a reflection.'

'What about the desert?'

'You dont want to go into the desert'

- Spartan

Great advice.

If I had a nephew or something I'd tell him to take BJJ. Let him learn to "feel" by rolling on the ground, it's competitive but relatively safe.

Then when he got a little older 8 to 12 depending on size and need (fights at school or laid back hood) beging introducing basic striking and covering skills. Let him get bad ass at that for a while. When he gets to be 17 or 18, then I'd start his internal training.

That would be ideal..... let someone else whip him into shape and mold him and then come in with the refinement later.

thanks for the advice everyone...

the only thing is Oklahoma City is very limited...

and i would prefer to stick with Kung Fu...

plus i think that it depends on the purpose of it all, i'm not looking for a sport that my son can practice... i'm looking more at it as if I was in China back in the days where they would just send their sons the monks... i dont know maybe i'm crazy lol...

but thanks everyone... I do take what your saying into consideration...

Sifu Ross...

I to await more stories of your Sifu...

oNe...

LaVato's BJJ is world-class. His son competes at a very high level, and I personally witnessed his 6 year old grand-daughter demolish boys twice her size. You would not be wasting your money sending your child there.

A traditional CMA program will not teach your son anymore about discipline, honor, or courage than hours of rolling on the mat with professional athletes can.

http://www.lovatojiujitsu.com/

There a few CMA options in the OKC area.

What side of town are you on? How far are you willing to drive?
    Last edited by MasterKiller; 07-14-2006 at 12:21 PM.

I find it incredibly funny how people on a kung fu forum recommend grappling over kung fu.

Quote Originally Posted by Hieronim
    I find it incredibly funny how people on a kung fu forum recommend grappling over kung fu.
    I find it funny that people on a kung fu forum constanly post racist and mysoginistic material unrelated to martial arts. I guess we are even.

Hey..........what are you guys doing, hijacking this thread?