Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wushu Tai Chi

sushi is to fish

what wushi is to me

i am the un cooked practitioner
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

Quote Originally Posted by PangQuan
    sushi is to fish

what wushi is to me

i am the un cooked practitioner
    never mind.

I was going to say the rolls go well with Kirin beer or Tsin Dao beer.

hahha

speak for yourself. i have no rolls

im thin.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"

seriously, that chick is very creative. good skill there! wushu or not, that's the mark of hard work right there.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

my 2 cents:

what it seems to me is that person has learned taiji, as well as wushu.

the two were combined

both were being performed for an audience at the time, the combination i believe is to make a more interesting taiji demo by adding in the wushu.

you can seperate the two from each other when you watch.

there is a very visible distinction when the changes occur in the set.

the taiji is taiji and the wushu is wushu. just put into the same set

very inovative when speaking from the aspect of a spectator sport.
    ~Sima Qian

~PangQuan

Quote Originally Posted by EarthDragon
    Ray
    I have been fortunate, and privlidged enough to have been trained by 2 chinese masters,and fighting for many years in the ring, bars and as a bouncer in NY i too love the martial side of the arts, however In my 30 plus years upon meeting many masters never when I was shown thier power and expereince did they hit me in the face and show me how good they were at fighting, they did a kuen (form). this was all you needed to see to judge thier power, grace, years of expereince and knowledge. i hope you understand the point i am trying to convey.

Would it be humiliating for one to say at that point yeah but can you fight?

I understand what you and TaijiBob are saying, and I said it too, looks like she has good connectedness.... but that punch at the end is against taiji principles and power. It is Shaolin in nature. External. Pushed out and tense.

As far as teachers, my teacher invites me to clinch him full power and demonstrates how to get out. My master requests that I punch him with full power when he's demonstrating how to jam an attack. Asks me to kick him full power when demonstrating how to wedge a kick..... my master is over 65 and collecting social security.

If you're good, you're insulted that your student feels they have to hold back.

Here's a post that a Thai Boxing Champion made after visiting my master's school about two years ago. He just showed up, with his hands still wrapped after his fight. He didn't know it, but my master was wearing slippers at the time because he had a broken toe: http://bullshido.net/forums/showthre...ster+Bond+Chan

Some of what he says is actually the misinterpretation of what he felt, such as the kick does not slide up the arm ... that would lead to the head. And actually, every kick should move you, but my master had a broken toe.

Anyway, my point: There is only one way to know if someone's stuff is legit. I would never invest my time learning from someone who couldn't demonstrate their skill to me. For this, I'm lucky my master is only 60-something and not 70-something. Now I can believe him at 100-something. I hope to learn weapons from him someday. At that stage, he won't have to get off the chair because I know he's the real deal. Walking the circle with good form says what? Everyone's doing it .... and it shouldn't be a circle to begin with

Quote Originally Posted by PangQuan
    my 2 cents:

what it seems to me is that person has learned taiji, as well as wushu.

the two were combined

both were being performed for an audience at the time, the combination i believe is to make a more interesting taiji demo by adding in the wushu.

I think you're right. I just think she ruined it, contradicted herself, her form's statement, by dropping into horse stance and throwing a bad reverse punch. If I was judging her I would have given her a 9.65 up until that point. That one mistake, drops her down to a 7. She might have the outer, but if you study taiji and still throw strikes like that you're missing the biggest lesson, that all that connectedness is the source of power, each section adds power.

So I went to a sushi bar.

I used chopsticks to pick up the sushi rolls and used a straw to drink.

They all looked at me weird. I was supposed to use the hand to pick up the rolls and drink from the cup.

--

The competition has its technical merits and demerits.

A performer is merely following the "rules".

--

I like the side kick, stamping foot and twirling elbow.

I like the slowly and evenly moving all the body parts to complete each posture.

--

The punch in the end may be overdone with the waist movement as pointed out.

--

Ray pina, Gottcha..... you made your point more clearer to me in your last post. i guess i tend to get defensive when people judge books by thier cover, and young ones are blinded by MMA and sport competition and dont take the time to learn the true essence of martial arts, they think to fight proves something, but clearly you did not and i now understand this. be well...
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Greetings..

Ray:
    I think you're right. I just think she ruined it, contradicted herself, her form's statement, by dropping into horse stance and throwing a bad reverse punch. If I was judging her I would have given her a 9.65 up until that point. That one mistake, drops her down to a 7. She might have the outer, but if you study taiji and still throw strikes like that you're missing the biggest lesson, that all that connectedness is the source of power, each section adds power.
    I don't know about dropping it to a "7".. The lady demonstrated good FaJing, she artfully and competently displayed elements of at least 4 styles and, perhaps as a spoof, ended with a classic reverse punch.. as a judge, i would consider the whole performance and take off 1/10 of a point for the inconsistency of the reverse punch.. she had some wobbles, but she was pushing some difficult transitions and landings.. all in all, a nice performance.. a solid 9.5..

I once forgot a segment of my Chen 3 minute routine, improvised for about 10 seconds and got back on track.. Victor Kim, a judge, and i looked at each other as i improvised and he smiled.. later he said he took off 2/10 for forgetting and added 1/10 for a good recovery.. I've been knocked down and returned to win (i've been knocked out, too ).. Perfection is a high standard, for anyone...

Be well....
    TaiChiBob.. "the teacher that is not also a student is neither"

Quote Originally Posted by EarthDragon
    Ray pina, Gottcha..... you made your point more clearer to me in your last post. i guess i tend to get defensive when people judge books by thier cover, and young ones are blinded by MMA and sport competition and dont take the time to learn the true essence of martial arts, they think to fight proves something, but clearly you did not and i now understand this. be well...
    One of the reasons I strive to do well in MMA is because I'm learning a new style, and no one respects a new style, especially an internal "kung fu" style. That's why I have to go out.

But I have seen enough to respect men, and women, who are trained well and skilled. Lots of them I can just sense it and know. Ironically, these are the ones least likely to be talking or trying to prove something. You almost have to beg them to see something.

The impression I got from that young woman is that she is very dedicated. She has been trained well and has great mechanics, structure and control. She's missing something though. Fight spirit perhaps. I don't know, maybe I'm being too hard.

SPJ, great annology, I like that, with the chop sticks and straw. And I agree with you. But I think your point in someways makes my point too. Forget what "should be" ... and that means forget the form all together. Who cares what move you do, it's how you do it. Her full mechanics impressed me. When she tried to show power, she lost it all. Powerful taiji doesn't look power like a good tennis swing doesn't look powerful. It just is. It just goes.

Again, maybe I'm being harsh. But it's out there for us to discuss and learn and grow from. I'll see if I can figure out how to post a video later this week of some form. I have to travel tomorrow.

Peace
    Ray

Hi, just to add some info, I'm pretty sure she's the wife of my friend Zhang Ji Dong (can never remember her name ... never actually met her as she was always travelling).

Several times chinese champ in a whole lot of specialties not just taiji, last year retired from competition as far as I know, still studying and now also teaching.

Started around age 8 and is now 28 ... 20 years x 6+ hours daily training ... she pretty much can do most bare hands and weapons styles you can think of, external and internal.

Her husband Zhang Ji Dong is the current spear world champ and several times China champ in spear, sword, tanglang, various other empty hands ... basically a full on wushu couple. He has also retired from competition, after winning the worlds last year.

They now focus on exibitions and hope to open eventually a school together for foreigners. Really nice people and amazing skills trad and modern (Ji Dong is from Shandong and did years of trad tanglang with top masters during his teens, as well as the modern wushu competition stuff).

Wall
    > it is your mind, that creates this world >

That makes sense, she's obviously very well trained. And glad to hear she has a healthy and happy life.

Just one thing, and it ties to this discussion of wushu vs reality. When you say sword champion, what does that mean? Has he gone to Japan to compete in the full contact kendo tournament? Has he been open to accept full contact bokken challenges? Same goes for the spear (pole)?

I bring this up, not to make light of their discipline and skill, but to let those who may be new to martial arts and this forum that there is a difference between winning a local tournament or even regional tournament and being a world champion. This goes for full-fighting like San Da. Often you see things like "World Championship" but it's closed off to pros, or there's certainly more people who don't even know it happened than those that show up. How much more so when you consider the title "sword champion" or "Bare Hand Champion" without distinguishing that it was for a perFORMance, and held in China, or Eastern Europe, or Southern California, or New York City.

This is the slippery side of martial arts. And it has nothing to do with this talented young lady, and takes nothing away from her skill and ability. Just we have to be specific and honest. Otherwise things become cloudy. Otherwise someone who doesn't know walks into a taiji school and sees medals on the wall and believes they are getting something they are not.

Now, I know there are a lot of folks happy to learn martial arts without ever fighting, ever. But they should know if they are truly learning a figthing art or a Chinese form of gymnastics floor routine.

I'm sorry for being such a stickler about this, but I believe it is important if we are to ever see CMA regain some integrity. Because right now I believe it has very little. And worse so, I believe many are content to keep it the way it is because they can make money and have status and not have to work so hard or get sweaty.

dude ray

i understnad what your saying, but modern wushu is meant for sports, not fighting. leave it alone man. this discussion and arguement has been beat to death. im not saying all modern wushu cant fight, cause thats not true. but modern wushu is made for sport where as traditional wushu was made for self defense but traditional folk wushu was for performance mostly. so not all traditional is fight fight fight. but yes kung fu is for "fighting"
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Pina
    Just one thing, and it ties to this discussion of wushu vs reality. When you say sword champion, what does that mean? Has he gone to Japan to compete in the full contact kendo tournament? Has he been open to accept full contact bokken challenges? Same goes for the spear (pole)?
    Hi ... I'm not sure what you trying to get at ... we are talking about wushu taolu champions ... so when I say sword (or spear, or anything else) champion I mean winner of the chinese / world wushu championships (CWF / IWuF) in that specialty. I don't see what Japanese arts have to do with it, I imagine they have their championships ...?

And on the note of wushu vs. reality ... let me tell you that noone in China that competes in top level taolu will ever tell you that it's for fighting; they will tell you that it's an artistic sport representation of chinese wushu (martial arts). Period.
    However they are also rather modest, given that most of them have also done PLENTY of trad stuff on the side, as well as often playing around after training with their sanda team mates, and are pretty impressive all-around martial artists.

However the wushu taolu (forms) specialties are just an artistic sport representation of chinese wushu (martial arts) ... everybody knows it and noone says different ... get with the times

Wall
    > it is your mind, that creates this world >