Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Find the Feng Shui Faux Pas

Find the Feng Shui Faux Pas

The first four forum members that can find the feng shui faux pax in my latest e-zine article, Iron Crotch Opens the Door will win a Feng Shui Miniature Weapon Rack!

Here's how to play:
    1. Read the article.
    2. Spot the Feng Shui Faux Pas.
    3. Email your findings to me at gene@kungfumagazine.com. Include your postal mailing address. This offer is only good for the members in the continental United States of America.

The first four correct answers will be awarded the prizes. I'll announce them here.

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

ok, im not gonna email you with the hopes of winning anything...because I'm a canadian.

But I thought that the naked blade on the wall above it's scabbard was a feng shui no no.

I mean an exposed blade? could bring you cuts! lol

also, is it possible that that blade should be hanging in the active position in stead of a passive one because it is above a tiger.

there's a lot of little rules to feng shui that I have not a clue about, but the unsheathed blade just didn't look right.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

HEY! Didn't I say Canadians can't play?!

But your warm, very warm. The nekkid blade is a presentation sword we did for our 10 Year Anniversary. It's engraved with our logo. With presentation blades, there are some exceptions, especially with a 'house of war' like us.

Anyway, KL just about gave it away. In fact, I'd even accept his answer almost, but he's Canadian. I checked my email about an hour ago and no one has yet been able to claim the prize. Each of the four miniature weapon racks have nine cast pole arms about 10 " long and the rack itself is about 13.5" wide.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

pick me pick me!!!

I think I should have one of those weapons racks just on principle... did you know it was my Birthday yesterday?

besides, I was the first one to find that faux pas . . .

Hell, I took the picture of it!!!

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Three things-
    1-the door being in a corner neeeds a fountain, or coi tank, and trees in front of the entrance would also help
    2- two tigers on the wall-
    3-perhaps something to interfere with the direct access to the entrance? a lobby with a door not directly opposing the main entrance, and possibly a mirror on the wall as well
    just my two cents

Ha!

the fools on you! You gave me that set of minature weapons long ago.
    I think it was either included with the Kwan Dao I bought from you guys or maybe it was the butterfly knives...or it...nevermind, what's important is, is that you already gave me a set of what you're giving for prizes here.

as for elements in the room. you do want to have water in the room somewhere, also fire(a candle), wood, earth and metal can be represented by objets d/art and plants. Placement has to be harmonious of course and some geomancers would have it that each element lives in a particular cardinal direction associated with a position in a room.

In fact, there can be so many variations that when I think about it, it all boils down to creating a space that you are trult comfortable in and that has harmony in context to the surroundings it is in. Kind of an ancient version of home design.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Greetings,

1- It looks like you have four different articles in that one article. I don't do acid but I have an idea of what it is like NOW.

2- Iron crotch feng shui? Unless he did the entire ceremony with his joint. If Master Tu can light incense that way and make clapping sounds that way, I am going to order his tapes!

3- I don't think you need a lion for this ceremony; if you do, wouldn't you need two?

mickey

I can't give it away on 7th Avenue. This town's been wearing tatters.

DS: You want one? Really? Why didn't you ask earlier?

TT: I replied to your email.

DJ: You already got one? And you're giving me greif about no hope of winning? Sheesh. Canadians....

NK: 1. It's not the acid - it's the moxa. 2. What *is* the sound of one hand clapping? Now you know where the other hand is... 3. A lion would have been appropo for a door opening for sure, but not required. Two would be better, but one would have sufficed. We could have busted out dozens, but only Andy and I have any experience with them. We talked about bringing in a school, but then it was decided that this should be just about us and our door, so we forewent the lion entirely.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

My 'GOT QI'©®™ t-shirt is getting a bit ragged.

why not make that a prize and ask another question.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Weapon's Rack . . .

Well, If I won one of those weapon racks I'd need a bunch of action figures to weild them. Don't get me wrong... that would be great fun. Until my dogs walk into the room and found me playing with their new chew toys . . .

I'm just glad I got to do some illustrating on my B-day yesterday. ahhh Moxa inspired art... what oculd beat that?

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Gene, as far as the lobby with the door not directly in line with the entrance, this would break up any pernicious influence that entered. To accomplish this, you would have the doors slightly out of alignment with each other, so when yo walk in, there is an obstruction, say a wall, with a mirror, or altar, etc, and the entrance slightly to one side, so there is not a direct path.
    I am not an expert by any means. I guess I need to take one of those adult education courses and then have my cards printed up as a "Feng Shway" Master.
    hmmmm, while I;m at it, I will definately have to sign up for those Reiki Master courses, and perhaps a crystal healing seminar, perhaps I should learn to channel as well.
    ok, sorry. This is what happens when you grow up on Long Island.

Is this too hard?

So far, only TT has even ventured a formal guess (formal as in emailing me like he's supposed to according to the rules). He wasn't quite right*, but if I don't give it to him, I'm stuck with more weapons racks.

*The doors don't align at all so there's no problem there. Really, DJ has got it, although I'm not *exactly sure* what he means by 'active position' vs. 'passive' and the tiger doesn't really enter into it. Actually, there's a problem with the tiger too that's related.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

waitaminute!

I grew up on Strongisland!!! What are you saying?

Quote Originally Posted by Design Sifu
    Well, If I won one of those weapon racks I'd need a bunch of action figures to weild them. Don't get me wrong... that would be great fun. Until my dogs walk into the room and found me playing with their new chew toys . . .

I'm just glad I got to do some illustrating on my B-day yesterday. ahhh Moxa inspired art... what oculd beat that?
    dude! that's hilaroius! Now all my star wars guys got one!

heh heh Boba fett with a Kwan dao rulzors! XD
    Kung Fu is good for you.

reading g~'s small print

active vs passive in regards to how a sword is hung.

active is an adversarial position and generally swords should only be hung in an active state when they are in rooms taht are either Kungfu training halls, millitary training rooms, trophy rooms or armouries.

The active state is denoted by the swords facing with the pommel to the right or to the left. To the right, it is ready to be drawn even from where it is on a wall and is therefor considered active. This is not a desirable state to hang a sword in a house or a place of business or social areas.

The passive state is where it is hung with the pommel facing left and therefor not ready to be drawn. Also, in a passive state the sword is tilted so the blade is down and the pommel is up, further showing that the sword is not to be drawn and is instead to be viewed.

Crossed swords are also undesirable in a living space but acceptable in a martial venue. Wing chun butterfly knives are an example of this. In your house, they shouldn't be crossed but should hand straight down, handles up and blades facing in. In the training hall they can be crossed, but blades face down.

When a sword is hung over a depeiction of a spirit, it should be in harmony with that spirit (intention)

tiger is an active spirit form, so the sword should be sheathed and with the pommel facing right. To make the sword passive, turn it around and take it away from the tiger and put it somewhere else. (not over a door).

so there you have a short summary of my limited understanding of feng shui in relation to hanging swords.

Oh yeah, never hang one over your bed, actively or passively. It's just bad luck in any culture.
    Kung Fu is good for you.