Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why I will never try to choke or submit someone on the street.

Quote Originally Posted by Merryprankster
    negative,

I am sorry. This sounds like it was totally ****ed up. Congrats on coming out alive!

On a totally non-******* note, it does, in fact, sound like you may have applied it "wrong."

The Rear-naked choke is a blood choke in pure form. They can continue breathing more or less unimpeded, and the restriction on the jugular veins causes blood pressure inside the head to rise. This cuts oxygen off to the brain VERY quickly, as the heart can't pump oxygenated blood through the carotids because of back pressure. The fact that his neck collapsed like that suggests to me that you were probably applying a windpipe choke. Not wrong (hence my use of the quotations above), but much slower acting. I have put people out with both (they wouldn't tap), and there is definitely a difference in time.

This does NOT mean that I'm saying "Hey you *******, you should have done it better," or second guessing your judgment - or your empirical take away from this in any way. I am also not saying that he wouldn't have had time to stab you if you'd done it differently - for all I know - you did apply it correctly, and this guy was just tough to take out. You acted, which is more than most people can say.

By way of fallout, you may wish to consult/find a lawyer. I don't know what this fellow's background is like or anything, but there is a possibility that his defense lawyer may try to play up the idea that you had placed him in a "lethal choke hold," and therefore our 250 lbs friend was in a "fight for his life," and used a "non-lethal technique," (ie, stabbing your arm) to get out. While this will probably have few criminal implications for you, if the defense is successful, he may have stronger grounds for a civil suit. This won't absolve him of the original assault, but he might get off on using the knife on you, and if that happens, he might try and take you to court for civil damages.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not in support of this guy, I'm just thinking about "what might happen." Sometimes, wierd things go on in the legal system, if one party is unprepared for the fallout.
    ]

I've got a workmans comp lawyer.

I testified in this guys probable cause hearing, his lawyer was shouting by the end of it about it being self defense. The entire time he was cross examining me, I saw the DA chuckling at his questions, that lead up to his defense. My dad saw the judge doing the same. Afterwards, I talked to the DA. Basicly, my boss is my size. I'm a small dude, 5' 9 ? or so, 141 lbs when they weighed me at the doctors. According the DA this guy has an "extensive" history in violent assaults. Also, he walked in his full biker regalia, big ass black boots, biker jacket, thick ass wallet chain and everything. I told them I knew I was choking him. Basicly, it doesn't look good for him. Like the DA said to the judge right before he set the next court date and turned down his self defense plea. "You don't bring a knife to a frying pan fight"

Awesome dude, I'm glad to hear that!

People shouldn't get screwed for doing the right thing.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

There are many good points I am thinking that were raised. One thing that occurs to me is that understanding context . . . or cinrcumstance . . . of when to use what technique is important. As Mr Parlati mentioned rear choke on stair way is not good idea . . . then too we often do not have choice . . . it may be best option available to us. Some technique seem more dangerous than they are . . . like choke or finger jab to eyes . . . and may look worse to authorities if they become involved . . . and they may will escalate fight too. I am thinking that fighting is like ethics in that it is more often situational . . . tactics and technique must adapt to these situations rather than thinking one solution or tactic is best for any situation . . . so choking on street may be good in certain circumstances . . . bad in others . . . this comes from judgement . . . which comes from experience. At least these are my randon thoughts at the moment.

Thanks,

Ghost

Quote Originally Posted by negativecr33p
    You always hear while jiu jitsu isn't good in the street. And this is why.
    One reason you hear that BJJ "isn't good in the street" is because untrained noobs like you try to apply it without ever doing any training in it.

This was actually the perfect time to apply BJJ. You had only a single guy who wasn't even paying attention to you, but was focused on your boss. If you had a year or so of BJJ, you could have easily taken the guy down and controlled him so he would never have had a chance to draw his blade.

Dude I'm a TKD practioner, and I can say this about TKD. It don't do ****, when your in the back seat of a small car going up against a guy twice your size.

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter
    One reason you hear that BJJ "isn't good in the street" is because untrained noobs like you try to apply it without ever doing any training in it.

This was actually the perfect time to apply BJJ. You had only a single guy who wasn't even paying attention to you, but was focused on your boss. If you had a year or so of BJJ, you could have easily taken the guy down and controlled him so he would never have had a chance to draw his blade.

I don't know any wrestling or grappling styles, but from what I've seen in the UFC, if I had a knife anywhere on me, even if I was in some kind of hold, I would still be able to pull it out and stab the person somewhere. It's no doubt the best style for a one on one unarmed fight, but it's got to be one of the riskiest when going up against multiple fighters or somebody with a sharp weapon.

I'm glad you brought this up. Having a friend who has trained in bjj for several years and who is a ripped MO FO, 6' 205lbs, we did a little demo with a training folder. So you have two guys, one a regular bjj practitioner, and the other a knife nut with no real training other than his own. They squared off, the bjj guy lunged in and took the knife guy straight to the floor (very impressive), however, the knife guy had his folder deployed rather quickly once he hit the floor. While the bjj guy could have clearly wooped him in an empty hand match, the knife guy made a nice slash across the bjj guys neck once on the floor. This would seriously change things. This was just a senario/practice routine we tried out. I tried a go with the knife guy as well using Wing Chun, but would have been slashed up bad. It's too hard to keep track of that little blade once it's deployed. NOTHING like in the movies. I understand that this is just one senario, but it's really naive to assume you can prevent the knife from popping up on you. It's better not to try, UNLESS you have to. This is just my personal experience. I thought it would be more realistic to try it with a buddy who is a knife carrier, but with no formal training. He practices deployment speed, gripping and such, but has not been trained in Sayoc Kali or any others. I'm sure our opinions and experiences will vary, but IMO it's really not safe to say you can control someone from deploying a blade. People will always surprise you. Just my opinion.

Screw that. There's always a chance he could draw a blade.
    Plus negativecreep didn't know he was armed. I assume it was concealed. Being hit with a frying pan doesn't help either.

"Originally Posted by Knifefighter
    This was actually the perfect time to apply BJJ. You had only a single guy who wasn't even paying attention to you, but was focused on your boss. If you had a year or so of BJJ, you could have easily taken the guy down and controlled him so he would never have had a chance to draw his blade."

Quote Originally Posted by Edmund
    Plus negativecreep didn't know he was armed. I assume it was concealed. Being hit with a frying pan doesn't help either.

***ABSOLUTELY RIGHT, Edmund....How about 10 years of BJJ (instead of one)....would you really think that even then the chances are any better than 50/50 if the guy has a knife in his pocket that he pulls out with his two free arms while you go for a rear naked choke or a takedown? (And he's a biker dude twice the size as negative).

I seriously doubt it.
    Last edited by Ultimatewingchun; 02-28-2006 at 12:46 AM.

I don't know any wrestling or grappling styles, but from what I've seen in the UFC, if I had a knife anywhere on me, even if I was in some kind of hold, I would still be able to pull it out and stab the person somewhere.
    Plus negativecreep didn't know he was armed. I assume it was concealed.
    How about 10 years of BJJ (instead of one)....would you really think that even then the chances are any better than 50/50 if the guy has a knife in his pocket that he pulls out with his two free arms while you go for a rear naked choke or a takedown?
    Oh right...
    how silly of me to think that a bunch of guys with no BJJ training and whose only bladed weapon training is dancing around twirling a couple of butterfly swords would understand how you can take someone down who is not paying any attention to you and keep him from deploying his blade
    .... nevermind

Oh right...
    how silly of me to think that a bunch of guys with no BJJ training and whose only bladed weapon training is dancing around twirling a couple of butterfly swords would understand how you can take someone down who is not paying any attention to you and keep him from deploying his blade
    .... nevermind

wow, i never thought you would make such a theoretical fantasy world remark. you really have lost touch with reality.

I expected better of you...

Really strange argument. "I do TKD and I could've pulled out a knife in that situation."

So, I do kung fu and I could pull a knife out against TKD or any style what is the point?

Properly applied a RNC will knock someone out quick. Key thing is proper.

Oh yeah, um the RNC existed way before Jiu-jitsu was this popular. Why not blame Kung-Fu, or the style you practice?

anybody facing someone with a knife is lucky to make it out alive. don't care how much you train or what the circumstances are.

kf, ever fight someone with a knife...on the street?

[QUOTE=godzillakungfu]

Properly applied a RNC will knock someone out quick. Key thing is proper.

QUOTE]

Key thing is resistance. Add a bit of testosterone. A bit of mental illness. A thick neck. A thick collar.

Your lucky if you pull off anything "proper" in a real fight. Anything done "proper" works, right?

Quote Originally Posted by gabe

Key thing is resistance. Add a bit of testosterone. A bit of mental illness. A thick neck. A thick collar.

Your lucky if you pull off anything "proper" in a real fight. Anything done "proper" works, right?
    That is why the word proper is there, if you are strugling and do it wrong it won't work. Especially, if you are a TSD/WC trained fighter using a JJ technique (going by N.C. training profile) you have never practiced.

I know every fight consists of a testosterone filled, mentally ill, fighter.