Quote Originally Posted by Hatsuyuki
Does anyone have a reasonable amount of knowledge of the subject? (Geisha, Miko, Orin? [sp?]) My girlfriend has a more then slight obsession with Japanese culture (All be it on a diffrent side of the spectrum then my own) and was very insulted when she read this book. Just wondering if anyone can confirm it's accuracy (if any) in regards to the diffrent types of females commonly mistaken for "Geisha" by foreigners, and their portrayal.

Thanks

the author concedes that people familiar with the culture will see straight through his story for what it is, a story and a romanticized and highly western view of the thing.

after all, despite the research and all, I doubt a white middle aged american male would have a lot of insight into geisha society lol.

It's like chinese/american food really. It's not actually chinese food, it's food made for the american palatte that is made by chinese people and sold to people who wouldn't actually eat the real thing for the most part.

Such is the stuff of a good writer though. He makes you believe that this could be true! Much like Dan Brown's tales of conspiracy!