Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Announcement pt 2

Announcement pt 2

One Ron Aviles has written to IKF in the Dec 05 issue (page 10) regarding Steve Cottrell Laoshi's "claim" to be a disciple of Lai Laoshi, basically saying he is not.
    Dave Cater (the editor) replies:
    "Thank you for your letter, but we must disagree with your assertions regarding Steve Cottrell and Master Brendan Lai. I spoke several times with master Lai prior to his death and on each occasion he was clear in his support of Cottrell's lineage. That is good enough for us."

I do believe the younger generation would have one thing to say about this.....

SNAP!!

Straight from the horses mouth, so to speak of course.

Cheers
    Jake
    "Gravity doesn't lie, and the ground never misses."
    Jake Burroughs
    Three Harmonies Chinese Martial Arts Center
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com
    three_harmonies@hotmail.com
    www.threeharmonies.blogspot.com

hmm

BOOYAAAA!!!!! BIIIAAATCH!!!

Oh no you didn't,, ugh ungh ... yeah that's right.

cool jake thanks for that info.

I thought the issue was dropped and already answered, but I just wanted a chance to say booyaaa biatch, and do the cabbage patch in my office cube.
    Last edited by shirkers1; 10-26-2005 at 11:03 AM.
    To some I have little character value. My friends know the truth. Guess which of the two I give two shiats about.

DISCLAIMER: Everything said by me in my posts should be taken with a grain of salt. All of my comments are mostly written in a sarcastic, juvenile manor. Any attempt at actually taking offense to what is said by me in my posts will be the sole responsibility of said reader.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...tofthejunk.jpg

I read it;

Not everyone has access to the forums where Sifu Cottrell already explained his position in detail.

I read no ill will in the letter, but a statement clarifying his positionon the subject.
    No harm, No foul.

Best wishes to all,
    ~BTL
    How many identities does a Troll need?
    Didn't think I knew did you??
    I know a lot of things.
    You won't like me in person either.
    Confused?? Don't be.
    LOL!

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    irrelevent of either sides position, Steve has chosen to deal with it the way he has and we need to respect him for that.

I agree the situation stinks. But I'm not sure that this is doing anything but fanning the flames which won't do Steve any good.

just a thought, guys.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

This forum is getting a bit sensitive for a bunch of kung fu dudes!
    No one is fanning ****, I am merely quoting the magazine! No one outside of the individuals *****ing are fanning any flames. I am merely the messenger
    If you do not like it, do not read the posts! Just like if you do not like Howard Stern..... CHANGE THE FREAKIN CHANNEL!!!!!

Jake
    Jake Burroughs
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com

So what does that mean, I can type up a post that i spoke with....blah...blah...blah, and they stated that....blah...blah....
    come on??

You guys are supporting a guy who claims to be something he's not....just like his teacher....figure it out.....hahahahahahah

laughing all the way, you guys belive everything you read???

If you only knew.....now watch BTL close this one!

lets discuss.....
    Real Masters dont post on Forums.

Since this is my coming out post, I'll make it a good one for you.

I am one of Master Lai's senior students, having studied with him since 1970 as a teenager. I am teaching privately in the Sacramento CA area with a core group of about ten students.

Firstly, I was surprised to see that Cater would post what I thought was a personal message. I'm not suprised that he truncated his reply to exclude a couple of key facts, specifically, the dates of his conversations with Master Lai. Let's call it pre-2000 and post-2000. I will leave it at that.

Cater and I have exchanged a few msgs on our personal emails and have come to an understanding. One of them is the posting of Steve's announcement in the January issue of IKF.

BTW, Steve and I know each other and have met each other at his school in TX in 1997. I can say with a high degree of confidence that his relationship with Master Lai was initially helped along by me since Master Lai asked me to interview him.

I support (as do my classmates) all of his efforts in what he has done to further education and interest in the Northern Praying Mantis lineage.

Someone other than Confucius once said, "a lie told a thousand times soon becomes the truth". My message to Dave Cater was to maintain the course for truth.

Sincerely,
    Sifu Ron Aviles

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteMonkey
    You guys are supporting a guy who claims to be something he's not....just like his teacher....figure it out.....hahahahahahah

If you only knew.....now watch BTL close this one!

lets discuss.....

Why would I close this if the dicussion is a good level-headed one about mantis??

Who are they supporting who claims to be something he's not....just like his teacher?? This sounds interesting.
    How many identities does a Troll need?
    Didn't think I knew did you??
    I know a lot of things.
    You won't like me in person either.
    Confused?? Don't be.
    LOL!

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    Jake, c'mon man?!?!

Look, I agree with you 100% and I support Steve 100%.

Inflamatory posts won't get anyone anywhere in this situation.

Steve has his reasons for following the path he is taking on this matter and those of us who support him will better support him solidly and quietly.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

I agree with Oso. It is a rather sensitive issue for Sifu Cottrell. He basically got caught with his hand in the cookie jar so to speak. He said he was a disciple and according to his official post is not. The Lai family lineage seems to be handling it quite diplomatically considering the circumstances. Sifu Cottrell is also making the best of a self induced situation.

Personally I did not like it when Sifu Cottrell in his letter explained that his use of “Disciple” was merely an outward expression of appreciation and respect for Master Lai. I thought it was taking the entire mess, turning it around, and somehow shifting focus onto Master Brendon Lai. IMHO that was just skillful writing and think that Sifu Cottrell’s behavior was more motivated by self interest. Why else would someone make claim to be a disciple when they are not. Everyone can make their own judgment call on that.

I am not trying to slander anyone in these matters, but I think that since Sifu Cottrell made such a public statement that it is definitely up for healthy debate. I definitely agree that Sifu Cottrell is a good promoter of Mantis, but I also think he has taken something away from it in these matters. One step forward two steps back seems fitting.

Jake, I mean this in the sincerest way but I think the swearing in your posts takes away from your message, come across as being overly sensitive, and probably does not present your school in the best light.

Just my humble opinion.
    Last edited by bungbukuen; 10-26-2005 at 09:00 PM.

I think the students/disciples of master Lai have been very repectful about this whole situation.

I have not read or heard anything nasty or negative about this form Master Lai's group. In fact they compliment Mr. Cottrell for his hard work in promoting the Mantis styles. They give credit where credit is due. They do not let negative pull them in.

I am not sure about this whole disciple business. if I ever wanted to be one I think I may look up on of master Lai' disciples for a good example of what one is supposed to be. It seems they just want to promote their style and their sifu's teachings quietly and positivly with no need for fame. They dont even want to be named.

They set a good example that we all could follow.

I am sure that if Master Lai could see his students now he would probably be proud of what he has produced. Even the ones who make mistakes from time to time.

Oso
    Again what is everyone getting their panties in a bunch about? I did not write it, I read it in IKF. If you are feeling this is wrong, or "starting" something get upset with Cater.

BBK
    Thank you for your concern, but please understand the post said , (female dog expression ), and for pete sakes (is that better ) that is what they were doing! Sensitive about what? Look at the actual post where I used freakin instead of ****ing! Or do you include that too?

Thanks
    Jake
    Jake Burroughs
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com

Jake,

You did not just act as the messenger, you added your commentary, which in my opinion, was juvenile.

I'm from the old school and an older generation...you would not pass my character test and certainly not my late sifu's either. Same goes for you, Shirkers.

Sifu Ron Aviles

Okay again I will bite.......
    Ron, how is what I did any different than you? Did you not add your own commentary to the situation, or is this just between you (specifically) and Steve Cottrell?
    Jake Burroughs
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com

As for the "charachter test".......... if this is the way you all behave towards brothers, I would prefer not to be associated with your kind.
    Do not presume to think you have any clue of my charachter bro!

Thanks
    Jake
    Jake Burroughs
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com