Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: CLF Noi Lim Sau

Thumbs up Jung Choih

I do not mean either to be an uppercut strike. That would be either Pao Choih (Straight arm uppercut) or Jyu Geng Pao Choih (Mirror Hand Uppercut).

The 2 different Jung Choih that we use in our style:

Jung Choih - Both arms extended, one high one low, Gung Sik, Lower hand palm down, high hand palm turned up. Both hands in fists. Primarly used to "crash" against opponent's chest/body/face. Also used to throw when lower are captures the opponents arm/wrist. Gung Sik is positioned (optimumly) behind opponent and they are thrown over front leg. Frequently follows So Choih. If So Choih is used as a block/deflection, Jung Choih is a very quick 'rebound' to the target. This technique is mostly about opposite forces (each hand) working against/for each other to pull in different directions.

Bui Jung Choih - one arm extended, other hand with palm facing out. Used mostly from Ma Bouh or Gung Sik. Biu is to 'thrust', so this technique can be done to short-range closeline someone or can be used to stike with the fist. Someone also mentioned about it going 'around'. It does that too. This technique is much faster than the previously mentioned one. It is often preceeded by Pek Choih. Good for close range, but not so good once a grab has been established. This techniques power is in the torqueing of the waist (what clf is all about) and is great to help you 'break' out of trapping range back to punching range. I could write two pages on both these techniques, but I'm trying to be brief and to the point.

So there are a few different ways to do this particular Jung. The first one has virtually no variation.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lama Pai Sifu
    I do not mean either to be an uppercut strike. That would be either Pao Choih (Straight arm uppercut) or Jyu Geng Pao Choih (Mirror Hand Uppercut).

The 2 different Jung Choih that we use in our style:

Jung Choih - Both arms extended, one high one low, Gung Sik, Lower hand palm down, high hand palm turned up. Both hands in fists. Primarly used to "crash" against opponent's chest/body/face. Also used to throw when lower are captures the opponents arm/wrist. Gung Sik is positioned (optimumly) behind opponent and they are thrown over front leg. Frequently follows So Choih. If So Choih is used as a block/deflection, Jung Choih is a very quick 'rebound' to the target. This technique is mostly about opposite forces (each hand) working against/for each other to pull in different directions.
    I'm pretty sure we DON'T have this in our version of CLF forms. I know the technique to which you refer as I have seen it in Hung Ga. We do have something similar but it is is executed from Cat Stance and we call it Chyun (pierce).

Bui Jung Choih - one arm extended, other hand with palm facing out. Used mostly from Ma Bouh or Gung Sik. Biu is to 'thrust', so this technique can be done to short-range closeline someone or can be used to stike with the fist. Someone also mentioned about it going 'around'. It does that too. This technique is much faster than the previously mentioned one. It is often preceeded by Pek Choih. Good for close range, but not so good once a grab has been established. This techniques power is in the torqueing of the waist (what clf is all about) and is great to help you 'break' out of trapping range back to punching range. I could write two pages on both these techniques, but I'm trying to be brief and to the point.

So there are a few different ways to do this particular Jung. The first one has virtually no variation.

So you're "Biu Johng" and ours is essentially the same. What you call Pek Chui we call Chin Ji Chui. Its all semantics but essentially the techniques are pretty much identical.

So what you want?

Just playing......

I am not sure I can picture what this jong choy is but it kind of sounds like hung gar's lau sing choy. I also kind of sounds like what we refer to as chun hay, which is the section in the bow sequence when the arms split open, one high the other low and is then followed by a kick.

It is really easier to compare things with people in person and is somewhat har to discuss from behind a computer.

Peace.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CLFNole
    I also kind of sounds like what we refer to as chun hay, which is the section in the bow sequence when the arms split open, one high the other low and is then followed by a kick.
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking of "Chyun Hei", which I assume means "pierce the air." I wonder about Lama's CLF because it could have some heavy Lama influence. I hope you can post a clip soon, I'm almost certain it will provoke some discussion.

Ciao

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior
    but all im asking is other than push ups, what type of conditioning does some of my fellow choy lee fut'ters are doing?
    try a spring loaded grip strengthener. get to the point where you can hold it for several minutes with each hand.

to answer someone's question around the first couple of pages: the fist described with the thumb on the middle finger and the index locked over top is stylistic to your lineage. rubberbandman's sifu used leopard style in his clf but rubberbandman never taught it to his american students: rather, they never demonstrated it in tournament. you might find some new inspiration to your practice to look at an ermei version of the hung gar leopard form.
    Last edited by YuanZhideDiZhen; 10-02-2005 at 04:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lama Pai Sifu
    Jung Choih - Both arms extended, one high one low, Gung Sik, Lower hand palm down, high hand palm turned up. Both hands in fists. Primarly used to "crash" against opponent's chest/body/face. Also used to throw when lower are captures the opponents arm/wrist.
    Sounds to me like the move that's found in a Northern Mantis White Monkey set. Right fist punching down into solar plexas with left hand backfist to face. It's applied as you described.

You guys need to get digital cameras so you can post quick pics unless you like typing 1000 words.