Quote Originally Posted by northernArts
I think you should read "Chinese Fast Wrestling for Fighting" before you label single & double leg takedowns as 'high school wrestling.' Those moves are in shuai chiao.

OK on to the rest. First I don't care if Cung Le learned from TKD at first. When he stepped into the san shou competition circuit he started participating in something that is CMA. San shou is a basic format and it allows people from all over to develop their skills in a sport environment. Sport is important. Yes CMA is more than sport - but sports aren't bad things. Cung Le is helping to promote san shou and that helps us all. Just as if he was promoting shuai chiao tournaments. San shou is helping to further traditional CMA. They both can feed from each other.

I don't really care who wins at san shou - I care that it gets promoted. Why do you even care what his background was before san shou?

As i said before, all sytles tend to have a punch, but they are not the same style just becuase they close a fist and hit people. Shuai chiao may have takedowns, but Cung Le has been doing american folkstyle wrestling since he was a kid. He represents wrestling.

He started participating in CMA? You said san shou was just a format. Or a set of rules? He is beating you at your own game using TKD and wrestling. This is not becuase TKD is superior. It is becuase TKD and wrestling are DESIGNED for a sport setting. Ever see him do a flying scissors takedown? that's from TKD. But many times he ends up on his back and the other guy is able to stand up before him. Not very wise in the street.