Quote Originally Posted by Fallout
They are blinded. They finally saw someone winning and were willing to worship him as a CMA hero. They get annoyed if you point out Cung Le is a TKD fighter and high school wrestler first and foremost and try to draw parallels on how similar it is to traditional kung fu. Everything is similar becuase we all have 2 arms and 2 legs, yet the style of TKD is not kung fu even though a kick may be a kick, and a punch is a punch. He is a TKD hero and i ackknowledge his skill in a sport setting.

Yes Cung Le is a SPORT hero. But not a fighting hero. People can be some of the best fighters in the world but lose in the street. Look at Fernando Vargas. Champion of the world in boxing, then gets beat to a pulp in a street fight.
I think you should read "Chinese Fast Wrestling for Fighting" before you label single & double leg takedowns as 'high school wrestling.' Those moves are in shuai chiao.

OK on to the rest. First I don't care if Cung Le learned from TKD at first. When he stepped into the san shou competition circuit he started participating in something that is CMA. San shou is a basic format and it allows people from all over to develop their skills in a sport environment. Sport is important. Yes CMA is more than sport - but sports aren't bad things. Cung Le is helping to promote san shou and that helps us all. Just as if he was promoting shuai chiao tournaments. San shou is helping to further traditional CMA. They both can feed from each other.

I don't really care who wins at san shou - I care that it gets promoted. Why do you even care what his background was before san shou?