Hi Chris,

That is a very good question!

Don’t give him what he wants! This can be accomplished a few ways. One is to respond with meaningful comments and without derision. The second is to ignore him completely! Both ways he is not getting what he is seeking; which is apparently to upset others!

It is likely many trolls are people who are lonely and possess poor social skills. By treating them with kindness you help them develop meaningful relationships. Once this occurs they have the opportunity to learn proper decorum through observing the behavior of those they’ve gained respect for! Everyone wants to feel they are important and their thoughts are worthwhile! Even trolls!!

It is also possible that some trolls have power issues. They feel powerless in their daily lives so they derive satisfaction by being able to manipulate the feelings of others! If you get upset he gets what he wants! A feeling or power over you!! So don’t give him what he wants! Either ignore him or treat him without derision as I have mentioned!

I don’t know how old you are or if you have children, but when children want attention they will get it somehow. If the parent doesn’t give it too them in a healthy and consistent manner the child will act out and get into trouble. It is a subconscious behavior designed to get attention. A child would rather have any kind of attention rather than no attention at all, even if the attention is getting into trouble! So it appears to be with some trolls as well!

I would also ask yourself why you feel the need to defend Kung Fu at all; if it has meaning for you, who cares what me or Fallout or anyone else thinks about it. I am not saying don’t share your own opinions, of course, but don’t care what Fallout thinks enough to get upset about it! There is nothing to defend. Kung fu is what it is. We will all interpret it differently according to our personality, inclinations, goals and experience! If Fallout or anyone else thinks it is a bunch of hooey, good for them, I like it, I enjoy it and I am confident in myself, my art and my skills! If someone wants to deride it that is their prerogative; I will engage them or not depending upon my inclination at the time! I will try to do it with decorum and if I start to get too frustrated or I think the conversation is no longer productive I will disengage myself from it. There is no sense in playing handball against the curtains, LOL!!! As you said some people just want to argue, and when it is no longer fun to play with them, take your ball and go home!

I like Kung Le as a person and as a marital artist! Yet at the same time I don’t see anything wrong with Fallout’s comments. They don’t offend me! They are not entirely inaccurate, and from a certain perspective he is correct. I don’t necessarily agree with him either, but I do see where he is coming from! Kung Fu to me is not the origins but the attitudes and principles one uses as the root of their training. Kung Le can call his root Kung Fu if he likes and so can anyone else. Who cares if he uses leg sweeps or high kicks. TKD and BBJ are not the originators of either, just the modern popularizers of these actions!