Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Argument over Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon?

Scott Guest

Hmm...

From what I hear the people who taught the Matrix fighters were a real badass wushu team; but alot of the moves are improperly done in the movie, making it very hard to tell that what is being done is actually contemporary Wushu (and I'm sure some things were sacrificed for the effect of looks.) My guess is the same applies to Crouching Tiger.

-Scott

"Life is hard, but so am I." -- The Eels.

peehoo Guest

Lawrence Fishburn Kicks ass

If you watch the dojo(kwoon) sene in the matrix you'll notice how much smoother LF was than Canoe(sorry i mean keanu), thats because the chap has done kungfu on n off for a while, he also has done some internal martial art as well and the chaps trained for those sequences for well over 6 months (Keanu started training before they had started filming) some moves are the real deal but they are performed in a flowery way to appeal to cinema goers

The thing i don't get is when they load Neo with the different arts he finshes by saying "i know kungfu", but as we know kungfu gets used as a generic by people to describe CMA he should of said"i have kungfu"

do without doing

Nutt'nhunny Guest

interesting

why is it that when people say so and so chinese guy can jump really high and run up walls, no one believes him, but no one bats an eye when a black guy is doing the same thing.

The high jumping is true. Not over buildings, but really high. The training sucks and I have chosen not to undergo it. Its fa jing, with giant legs and loads of chi kung.

As for wall running I have seen kids in the ghetto do the same thing. Along with flipping over fences and flipping off of walls I've seen kids push over plaster surface walls untill they reached the second story. I did this in a basket ball gym and got up past the hoop. Traditionally its done with a plank from a young age, as you get older the plank gets steeper.

didn't mean to be racist, just a personal observation.

How come Frank Shamrock can jump so high? It must be made up, those pictures in blackbelt must have been trick photography or maybe its that he has two trees where most people have legs.

Black_Talon Guest
    I really enjoyed the sword fighting in this movie!

Especially Chow Yun Fat, he must of really practiced a lot!

------------------
    Some may boast of prowess bold,
    Of the school they think so grand,
    But there's a Spirit, can ne'er be told,
    It's the Spirit of Aggieland

------------------
    ------------------
    UT Unlimited, your premier mapping site!
    Ace82@unrealism.com
    UT Unlimited

JasBourne Guest

Wall walking

It can be done without wires, to a certain extent. Jackie Chan does it all the time in his movies. It's acrobatics, not kungfu.

If you want "real kungfu" in a movie, get "Prodigal Son". That's acknowledged as having the most realistic kungfu fighting in a movie. Lots of Wing Chun and Bak Mei kungfu there, no wires.

But even in 'realistic' movies like Prodigal Son, it's still all scripted and choreographed, not real fights. They're MOVIES, guys... ;)

--------------------------------------
    "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is. "
    - Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut