Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eagle Claw and TKD?

Eagle Claw and TKD?

The kicks of Eagle Claw as well as the stances and foot work seem pretty similliar to taekwondo to me. Does anybody here have any insight as to knowing whether it would be good to know both syles. I think it would also help to have some of the bolcking technique of Wing Tsung mixed in there. Can any practicers of Kung Fu, or specifically Eagle Claw Kung Fu help me a little with some insight?

there are only a few kicks worth elarning of tae kwon do, if you want a good kicking style than learn muay thai and savate. Both of these styles have all kinds of kicks in three ranges (low medium and high), and you dont even need to throw a single punch the kicks are so versitile.

Can you give me any savate sparring clips?

Unfortunately for every style of martial arts you will find practicers that ditch all the other styles, and claim their style is the best. TKD might not be the best style, I only have 1 1/2 years worth of experience, but when I was at the one year point, I was at the gym about to spar my friend who is a pretty good street fighter with no training, when I saw a guy warming up for Karate class, he was 45 years old a 3 rd degree blackbelt in Karate, we sparred, and I won by a pretty far margin. Now I know he's a lot older then me, but so what, one my instructors was 36, and he could dance circles around me, he would toy with me sometimes while sparring, stick his chest out right at me, saying come on hit me hit me, and he would tap his chest and say right here come on, I would try to kick him, but I would get kicked instead, and the GrandMaster that owned the school, but never teaches anymore is like 70 years old, and the other instructor told me, that the old man can wipe the floor with him in the ring.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Martell
    The kicks of Eagle Claw as well as the stances and foot work seem pretty similliar to taekwondo to me. Does anybody here have any insight as to knowing whether it would be good to know both syles. I think it would also help to have some of the bolcking technique of Wing Tsung mixed in there. Can any practicers of Kung Fu, or specifically Eagle Claw Kung Fu help me a little with some insight?
    yes with tkd and eagle claw, flexibility and ability to jump is the key.

Ec & TKD

You must have seen some rubbish eagle claw to make this comparisson.

It is nothing like TKD. EC never hyper extends the knee, or throws the hip out in kicking. In fact Chinese kicking methods are vastly different from Korean at a traditional level

Chinese MA foot work is nothing like korean footwork
    Kune Belay Sau

just so we get things straight - who or what is bak shaolin eagle claw? The only eagle claw I know of is ying jow pai and the lineage comes through the Lau sisters or Leung Shum from what I know. And I've not seen any connection between 'bak shaolin eagle claw' and real eagle claw kung fu(ying jow pai). If I'm wrong let me be corrected.

Dude - seriously - why do you keep babbling about TKD. CMA has nothing to learn from TKD. CMA is much harder to learn and as said above power definition is totally different because in CMA things are done correctly. Footwork? WTF do you know about footwork? Nothing. So don't bother trying to understand CMA footwork which all comes from shuai chiao anyway. If you want to do CMA then do it. Tell me where you live and maybe I'll know of a school. But first thing is first - you have to quit TKD.

some vicious people round here huh?
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

Why does he assume I don't know footwork? It's not like he's ever seen me in person. A person skilled in TKD can defend themselves if they have to or they can very easily keep their distance from their opponent. Unless the person just runs at them, in that case they wont be in any kind of position where they are ready to counter attack. And a lot of them enjoy what they do. They're might not be any Ultimate Fighting Champions who only know TKD, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have something to offer. Most of the best fighters will tell you, no style is any better then any other style, they all have something to offer. Even Bruce Lee said this. I watched a ton of interviews with Ultimate fighters, and they all said the same thing. Every style has something to offer.

In the style of TKd I studied your feet are much closer together then anything I have seen on television, or the internet. I actually studied at two different schools, and at the last school which was the better one that focused on keeping your footwork in close, much like a boxer, I noticed how much much easier it was to get from one spot in the ring to another, and it was much easier to disguise my kicks, and they were more powerful. And in sparring my streetfighter friends who had no training, I noticed it was much more difficult for them to jam the kick with their own leg, which is what I see a lot of fighters do against TKD.

jason-

you wouldn't happen to be rogues trolling alter ego would you?

ying jao is a world apart from tkd. lol
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Martell
    Why does he assume I don't know footwork? It's not like he's ever seen me in person. A person skilled in TKD can defend themselves if they have to or they can very easily keep their distance from their opponent. Unless the person just runs at them, in that case they wont be in any kind of position where they are ready to counter attack. And a lot of them enjoy what they do. They're might not be any Ultimate Fighting Champions who only know TKD, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have something to offer. Most of the best fighters will tell you, no style is any better then any other style, they all have something to offer. Even Bruce Lee said this. I watched a ton of interviews with Ultimate fighters, and they all said the same thing. Every style has something to offer.

In the style of TKd I studied your feet are much closer together then anything I have seen on television, or the internet. I actually studied at two different schools, and at the last school which was the better one that focused on keeping your footwork in close, much like a boxer, I noticed how much much easier it was to get from one spot in the ring to another, and it was much easier to disguise my kicks, and they were more powerful. And in sparring my streetfighter friends who had no training, I noticed it was much more difficult for them to jam the kick with their own leg, which is what I see a lot of fighters do against TKD.
    You're still talking about TKD. What on earth does that have to do with CMA? I don't care about whether or not someone has used TKD footwork in a fight. CMA is much deeper - and let me repeat myself slowly ....In CMA...footwork...is used....to throw people down...because it comes from.....something called shuai chiao. Last summer I went on a little road trip. One of the people I met was Matt Mollica and he agreed with this statement. What you are talking about - as far as knowing some TKD footwork has NOTHING to do with chinese stances. So when I said you know nothing about footwork I was rude and I really didn't make my point very well. You just don't understand that CMA stances are different and they are used differently. Sorry if I was a bit mean. I apologize. I would love it if you got involved in CMA. I think you would get great benefits and learn a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Wong Ying Home
    You must have seen some rubbish eagle claw to make this comparisson.

It is nothing like TKD. EC never hyper extends the knee, or throws the hip out in kicking. In fact Chinese kicking methods are vastly different from Korean at a traditional level

Chinese MA foot work is nothing like korean footwork
    but eagle claw does awesome tornado kicks and butterfly kicks to hit masses of opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson
    jason-

you wouldn't happen to be rogues trolling alter ego would you?

ying jao is a world apart from tkd. lol
    There's a possible hidden message in the name KL.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

cryptography has never been my strong point.

This could be why I am searching these threads for ancient cheese soup recipes.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

nah mainly because the ;au family stylist's have something again the bak shaolin eagle claw people. they're eagle claw is strong and they can use their techniques. sigong fu form bak shaolin did use his skills in military. yet msaot of those people train real hardccore and end up being crazy sometimes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.