Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: May Event in Cleveland

Alan:

Yeah...I've been wondering about start times also; I guess it's best to leave that up to Carl and Marty to decide.

As to Sunday's agenda, I would imagine it would be more sparring, for those who want to. That's not to say that other things might not pop up spontaneously (ie.- if someone wanted to do some chi sao with me, for example, I'd probably do it). If someone wanted to drill a few things, rather than sparring or chi sao, I might agree to that too. And the same for my 2 students who are coming...and I'm sure Phil Redmond and his guys would be the same way.

But I'm there primarily to spar with people.

Hi Everyone,

I will be at the school at 8 AM for those of you that can make it. If not show up any time after that.

Sunday I think that 8 to what lets say 2 pm will work.

I too want to put in as much time as my body can take.

Carl
    Last edited by CarlD; 05-01-2005 at 06:20 PM.
    MARTIAL ARTS: It is not rocket science, if you are smart, seek out a good instructor and work hard for 10 years on basics you might just start to get good.

The best thing you can do for yourself, to get good; is find a good instructor, that had a good instructor and is willing to teach you. Then find a great place to practice, ON YOUR OWN; EVERYDAY!

What good is martial arts, for you; if you do not have loyalty?

WWW.wing-chun.nu , www.immortalpalm.com,

I hope I did not miss the boat!

Hello Marty,
    Please check your PM. Myself and others from my group was not aware that we had to re-register once again. This is the first time I've visited this thread since the time that you said that the participants will recieve an E-mail. Myself and others in my group are very eager to attend. Please E-mail me I provided my address in the PM I sent to you before. Thanks in advance.

Chango

Hi Everyone,

I spoke with Phil and Victor , we are excited about the possibilities. I am looking forward to working with everyone that shows up. See all of you on Sat. around 9:00 AM. Hope everyone has a safe trip to Cleveland.

Regards,

Carl

School address is 2435 Superior Ave, go around the back of the building and up the steps. Free parking in the lot.
    MARTIAL ARTS: It is not rocket science, if you are smart, seek out a good instructor and work hard for 10 years on basics you might just start to get good.

The best thing you can do for yourself, to get good; is find a good instructor, that had a good instructor and is willing to teach you. Then find a great place to practice, ON YOUR OWN; EVERYDAY!

What good is martial arts, for you; if you do not have loyalty?

WWW.wing-chun.nu , www.immortalpalm.com,

Have fun guys !
    play nice
    if not
    play dirty

next year do it Cali or Miami hell Hawaii !!!!!!!
    If the truth hurts , then you will feel the pain

Do not follow me, because if you do, you will lose both me and yourself....but if you follow yourself, you will find both me and yourself

You sound rather pompous Ernie! -- by Yung Chun
    http://wslglvt.com

A bit about the first day:

I got there at about 10:45-11:00. Besides some of Carl's students, Derek and Rik were there from Brooklyn, NY and Phil Redmond had just arrived. A little after 11:00 Carl announced that we get started and proposed some methods to start out with. Everyone agreed that we start at a "level one or two". We did some energy/sensitivity work finding openings and letting the other person know when we were able to get in and that kind of thing. Some people turned it up a little more, but they were stopped and told either to back down to level one or two or to take a break and cool off. Victor and Marlyn (sorry if I misspelled anyone's name) showed up around lunch time. Most went for chinese take-out at the local restaurants, but some hung around and had some of the snacks and bottled water that people brought. Victor and Marlyn showed their idea of what they thought would be good to do. Then names were put on paper slips and we started to round-robin. After a few couples had sparred, there was a disagreement as to how the sparring should continue. After talking for a little while, a couple groups broke off and began doing some working out/light sparring on their own. Some mats were brought out and some non-wing chun(at least imo it wasn't wing chun). At around 3:30 some of our group (including myself) needed to leave. Everyone stopped for a group photo, and then went back to work. since I left around 3:30, and I will not be able to attend today (Sunday) I'll leave it to the others what happened last night and today.

Everyone seemed glad that they were able to attend. I hope they found Carl, myself, and the rest of us very open and hospitable and I hope they had a wonderful time.

Marty
    Marty Yoder
    Leadership: Learn It. Live It. Lead Others To It.
    http://wingchunner.tripod.com
    http://www.immortalpalm.com

Just got back from Cleveland...

My flight Friday night was delayed 2 hours (which I spent sitting on the plane) due to electrical storms in Cleveland; and by the time we completed the flight, got to the hotel, and went to get some dinner (Myron and I were starving) - it was midnight.

And by the time I digested my food and finally fell asleep it was the wee hours of the morning...so it was about 12:00 before we arrived at Carl's school, and I had gotten very little sleep.

So as Marty reported, Myron and I geared up and did some drills and sparring...which turned out to be a different approach to what Carl had already began doing before I got there; and I didn't like the names being picked out of a hat to spar idea...could be a total stranger you've never met - the two of you may have different ideas about what sparring is and how to go about it...the video cameras are rolling, people are watching you very attentively, etc. (A good formula for things getting out-of-hand, imo).

So Carl and I had some debate and discussion about this (and some others voiced their opinion as well) - and we all decided to let it be more informal on the first day, let people gravitate to this or that person, discuss, chi sao, spar (including contact with protective gear), roll on the mats, (all of which did occur on Saturday between various people)....go out to dinner together Saturday night (which we did, at a terrific restaurant I might add)...and then Sunday we would all feel more comfortable with each other (and I told Carl on Saturday night at dinner that I would definitely spar with him on Sunday).

Not going to get into what exactly happened on Saturday after Marty left, or what happened on Sunday (and why) - but I will say this much...although only about 14-15 people showed for the weekend - I think it was a good experience for most of us...and myself, and Phil, and Carl (and pretty much everybody) managed to get along, and I met some interesting people.

But before going any further with that, let me say this about not going into details...

THERE'S WAY TOO MUCH TROLLING, BAITING, BICKERING, INSTIGATING, ONE-UPSMANSHIP, AND EVEN FALSE IDENTITIES going on around here.

So I'm not going to talk about exactly who said they were coming but didn't show up, who sparred who, or who rolled with who...or why this or that happened, or how many punches A landed on B, or how many kicks C landed on D...or anything else along those lines.

Suffice it to say that the event was positive, and I'm considering hosting another one here in NYC at some later date.

btw...Derek Rozanski (Ving Dragon) - who does wing chun and also trained under Andreas Hoffman in weng chun - turned out to be a very nice guy.

(I mention this because I think some of us may have seen some of the photos on his website and got a false impression of the man).

He's good people.
    Last edited by Ultimatewingchun; 05-16-2005 at 12:00 AM.

I can say this, anyone that thought Wing Chun and Tai Chi people can't fight should have been in Cleveland
    Phil
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

hi everyone,
    thanks Victor for your nice comment. Event in Cleveland has proove, that no matter what system and lineage, politic, marketing etc... people can join together in searching of knowledge. Nice people, great seminar.

here is a link to pictures from the event:

http://imageevent.com/vingdragon/os

http://photos.imageevent.com/vingdra...e/IMG_0427.JPG

if you have more please share

I'll be brisk with my report as well. I was only there for Saturday, but I did get a little bit of sparring in. Basically, same as everyone else said, great people all around, both inside and outside of the gym. I would recommend anyone to hang out with Phil and Victor if you get a chance. They have lots of fun stories to tell . As for me, I will definitely want to take part in another one. Perhaps one of these times we can have it on the west coast. You guys should try to meet Gary's and Ernie's people.

Alan

You guys traveled half way across the country to spar. Everyone is so friendly nobody wants to say who the best fighters were. I'm sure everyone on the site wants to know. Who exactly was a quality fighter with skills?

That's exactly the kind of questions and answers that need to be avoided, Anthony...imo.

If and when the day comes, (and after more of these events have successfully taken place)...so that we can start having organized Wing Chun Sparring Tournaments - then there will be winners and losers and fighters who excelled in their skills - and it will all be obvious to everyone who witnessed it.

But for right now...I think we need to build bridges more than we need to give out report cards on people.
    Last edited by Ultimatewingchun; 05-16-2005 at 08:41 AM.

any sparring or full contact videos?

"any sparring or full contact videos?" (Samson)

*SO THAT a cowardly troll like you could try to rip into it???

You must think that we're a bunch of morons.

You gotta pay to play.

Come to the next get-together and show us who you are.
    Last edited by Ultimatewingchun; 05-16-2005 at 09:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimatewingchun
    "any sparring or full contact videos?" (Samson)

SO THAT a cowardly troll like you could try to rip into it???

You must think that we're a bunch of morons.

You gotta pay to play.

Come to the next get-together and show us who you are.

Wow.....I was gonna ask that question, boy I'm glad I wasn't the first one