Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: clever power

clever power

i see this as a very advanced skill in application to throwing grabbing or wrestling techniques. feeling your opponents subtle weight changes to the front back or sides will give you a better sense in which to attack him to throw his balance off or break his foundation, then apply another devastating attack when he is most vulnerable.

WTF is clever power?

Why do I get this picture of Wally and the Beaver in tights and capes?

i see this as a very advanced skill in application to throwing grabbing or wrestling techniques. feeling your opponents subtle weight changes to the front back or sides will give you a better sense in which to attack him to throw his balance off or break his foundation, then apply another devastating attack when he is most vulnerable.
    You just described grappling 101.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

a judo foot trip would be a good example.

Blog Entries
    Well gosh, it sounds a lot like Taiji Quan but I'm pretty sure that Taiji is only good for health and digestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Fu-Pow
    Well gosh, it sounds a lot like Taiji Quan but I'm pretty sure that Taiji is only good for health and digestion.

don't forget building and harvesting qi

Welcome back spiraler.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

I dunno, a shrug is a lot of movement but when done at speed, it's effective in the clinch regardless of who's clinching you.

Bump and Go can take more effort especially if the guy clinching you has good hooks and is strong.

And head peels, well that's just mechanics.

come to think of it, if you got the mechanical advantage, physics dictates that it doesn't matter if the guy can read you.

And even if they can read you, they have to physically react with the correct counter.

Man, I hate the mystical bull.sh.it terms that are used with martial arts sometimes. I am seriously leaning towards abandoning them altogether, but there are a few I still don't quite have the words for...but once I do, once I do.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Kung Lek, do you actually know what "clever power" is? I have no idea wtf he is talking about using that name.

I always referred to that as "listening" not "cleaver power." I've never heard that term.

lol at Fu Pow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

red-

judging from what i read in his post, he's talking about reading your opponent or as pen put it "listening energy".

It is harder to read someone who knows how to not telegraph their motions, it is easier to read someone who does telegraph or who faulters in a motion.

If ya can't free flow, you are easier to read seems to be a rule of thumb.

I think "clever power" is just some term to describe these same attributes and I fully agree that to much dilution through language makes concepts even harder to understand.

Speak to your demograph and in context to martial arts, physical demonstration is of high priority and importance in gaining understanding.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

judge's reference to listening brought it home for me. I understand the concepts he speaking of but had never heard it called clever or cleaver.

Clever little beaver, aint he?
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

"listening", as MP said, is basic grappling. This goes back to what I've been saying - alot of the "energies" and theories in CMA are in sport styles as well, but we don't define them - it's just part of good technique.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by Kung Lek
    Man, I hate the mystical bull.sh.it terms that are used with martial arts sometimes. I am seriously leaning towards abandoning them altogether, but there are a few I still don't quite have the words for...but once I do, once I do.
    It's not mystical mumbo-jumbo; it's just analogy. Once you understand that terms in CMA are just analogies for real-world techniques, you can get past all the hocus pocus and focus on developing some skill. You can call it "Chase the Goose" or "Hip Throw." Doesn't matter. You still get tossed on your head.