Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Whip Chain!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Tiger
    Yes, at least in my experience. Every time I do it with either the 7 or 9 link, it kinda spirals out from the elbow. But when practicing with a rope/ball, it snaps straight out as it should. Never really tried to figure out why...being lazy on my part I guess.
    More flexibility of the weapon equals greater fluidity on the shoot?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen
    More flexibility of the weapon equals greater fluidity on the shoot?

Sounds good to me.....
    "Pain heals, chicks dig scars..Glory lasts forever"......

Quote Originally Posted by Brad
    If I'm thinking of the right kind of technique, shoots are more common with a rope dart, so you might want to check out vids of that weapon to see more...
    True about the rope dart, but there aren't many vids of that around either.

MK, did you learn any shoots with your whip chain training?
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Yes, at least in my experience. Every time I do it with either the 7 or 9 link, it kinda spirals out from the elbow. But when practicing with a rope/ball, it snaps straight out as it should. Never really tried to figure out why...being lazy on my part I guess.
    Basically, it's because the technique was designed to be done with something like the rope dart. It's a much more long range weapon with a much heavier wieght on the end, good for knocking a rider from their horse by shooting that heaving wieght out at them. Rope dart also consits of a lot of "knots" where you do lots of chainwhip type swinging/whiping techniques but you allow the rope to rap around your body until it appears you've gotten yourself stuck in a not. But then you shoot the dart out from your body unraveling the knot perfectly. Not many people practice rope dart well though because it's such a dangerous and difficult weapon to master (esp. if your using a traditional wieght!).

There's a couple good demonstrations of ropedart (and other flexable weapons) here:
    http://www.wushucentral.com/videos/v...brary/flexible

Flexable weapon technques are basically the same between traditional and sport wushu, except in sport they'll add in some difficult jump kick/acrobatic tricks with the chainwhip to flash it up a bit.

Shooting with the chainwhip is possible (as you guys know since you've been doing it ), but you loose a lot of power because the shorter chain doesn't flow out smoothly like longer rope does. Imagine throwing a punch while simultaneously vibrating your hand left and right. A lot of the energy ends up going where you don't want it to go.

SD also has a rope dart form (Master Hiang's Fire Whip) but it is no longer taught or done on this side. I think that parts or all of it was floating around in Tenn. about 10 or 15 years ago so the schools down there might have it.

I have it and and some nice chain whip boad breaking on video if I ever take the time to transfer them.

SD also has a rope dart form (Master Hiang's Fire Whip) but it is no longer taught or done on this side. I think that parts or all of it was floating around in Tenn. about 10 or 15 years ago so the schools down there might have it.

I have it and and some nice chain whip boad breaking on video if I ever take the time to transfer them.
    I'd like to see that, GT. It's nice to have someone around with your experience. Thanks for sharing.

The whip chain I learned from Shaolin Temple has 1 technique similar to what you describe as a shoot, when the whip is folded in your hand and you shoot it out straight in front of you...

Also there is 1 wrap around the back of your shoulder and the whip comes around the front and you stop it with your left foot, then kick it over the shoulder again and then you turn facing the other direction...

I agree that shoot sounds more like a rope dart technique...

But all this stuff seems a bit more showy to me no matter what style... traditional or not, all styles have done shows and this form is definitely an attention getter...

I also like MK favor long weapons and I love hand forms... There are some wushu forms that I like, but I tend to favor forms or weapons with practical techniques...

Check out that video, the guy is one of the best I have seen with the whips I have seen many...

Joe

I don't know anything about a rope dart. There's one hanging on the wall, but I've never asked about it. I've heard of the board breaking demo with chain whip. That would be neat to see.

Arrrgggghhhh......I got the vid of the chain whip breaks uploaded to yahoo but can't seem to share the file. Any suggestions?

A briefcase. 1/2 time it says folder is empty, other 1/2 not. Its a big file (3 mb) and because my connection is not firewire, it didn't come out very well. I does help to de-pixelate if you make the window smaller...if I can get it out there..

Indeed... empty
    Message: Due to the ongoing Recession, God has decided the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off due to power costs. That is all.

Its there, just can't get to in it without logging into it. It will even show 3 mb used they say the folder is empty. Something to do with the free side no longer sharing files.

Any other ideas?

I get an error message that says "Sorry, the owner has not enabled any shared folders in their account."

If all else fails, you can email it to me and I'll put it up for download. It won't be there but 24 hours, my webserver is on metered bandwidth. Anything else I put up for download that isn't on metered bandwidth comes off home broadband and there is only a 256k upstream.

-Will
    Hippies can't stand deathmetal - Eric Cartman