Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Whip Chain!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DragonflyDaoist
    To support your warnings, wdl, I did hit my ankle one day. Over the next hour or so, the pain spread up my leg -- a strange, "internal" sort of pain. I suppose I struck the pressure point down there. It was interesting, to say the least.. By the next morning, all was good, though.
    You may or may not have hit a pressure point, however due to the nature of the whip the energy is transfered through the impact point causing deep bruising, which can make the pain shoot up your leg. Assuming your using the whip as a weapon it is of course, meant to crush bone.

My instructor used to come into work with large lumps on his head, dark bruises on his face, etc. He came in one day with his right eye brow four times larger than his left. Granted, he can spin a whip really well now, but he's worked at it about 4 years. The man down here that can really spin is Master Mullins, as I've said before. If you've not seen him spin one, it's a treat. I was wrong, he did chain whip back in the fall here.

-Will
    Last edited by wdl; 03-21-2005 at 03:04 PM. Reason: puncuation and grammar
    Hippies can't stand deathmetal - Eric Cartman

I like Elder Master Mullins a lot. The man is amazing, and a **** good teacher. He taught the Tiger-Crane duet at my school a few years back.

His ability to teach is probably the characterist that stands out the most to me. Definately one of the best instructors out there.

-Will
    Hippies can't stand deathmetal - Eric Cartman

Golden Tiger, I've tried that shoot of the foot, but can't seem to get it. Is there a particular link you should kick, or is it mostly momentum and "pull?"
    As JP said, let the tip swing around and then when it gets at the 3 (or 9) o'clock position, kick it out. It all a matter of timing between the kick and the tip and takes a lot of practice. If you are using a 9 link whip, halfway or a little above that should make it slow enough to learn it. The shorter that distance between the foot and the tip, the faster it will go so as you get better, you can move lower.

Another way of learning the speed and timing is to do it off the knee. Spinning in your right hand, as it goes down tuck you foot up and let it go around from mid quad to mid shin. When it comes to the 3 o'clock position, shoot the hip and leg and off it goes. Do be careful of recoil though. When it pops straight out, it sometimes pops straight BACK.

Quote Originally Posted by JP
    Oh, if you can tell me the trick to get the whip to straighten out when you grab it in the middle and spin it with one hand I would greatly appreciate it. Can't do that for crap either.
    Speed and momentum coming off the #4 bo spin. If you can get it straight there, it will stay that way. Oh, and a tad of courage just to let it happen.
    "Pain heals, chicks dig scars..Glory lasts forever"......

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Tiger
    Another way of learning the speed and timing is to do it off the knee. Spinning in your right hand, as it goes down tuck you foot up and let it go around from mid quad to mid shin. When it comes to the 3 o'clock position, shoot the hip and leg and off it goes. Do be careful of recoil though. When it pops straight out, it sometimes pops straight BACK.

Speed and momentum coming off the #4 bo spin. If you can get it straight there, it will stay that way. Oh, and a tad of courage just to let it happen.
    I've not tried it off of the knee yet. I have had the thing come straight back at my head though.

Thanks for the tip on #2 spin with the whip. I'll give that a try tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

As JP said, let the tip swing around and then when it gets at the 3 (or 9) o'clock position, kick it out. It all a matter of timing between the kick and the tip and takes a lot of practice. If you are using a 9 link whip, halfway or a little above that should make it slow enough to learn it. The shorter that distance between the foot and the tip, the faster it will go so as you get better, you can move lower.

Thanks for the tips, Golden Tiger. That helps a lot. Just to clarify, you attempt the shoot when the tip is in the opposite direction from where you want it to go?

I am finding it really hard to describe in words exactly how to practice it but yes, when it is in the opposite direction is when you should start the move. If you wait any longer, it will wrap and cause pain, severe pain even.

Hope that helps....

I am finding it really hard to describe in words exactly how to practice it but yes, when it is in the opposite direction is when you should start the move. If you wait any longer, it will wrap and cause pain, severe pain even.

Hope that helps....
    Cool, thanks.

I think MAYBE I have the "off the elbow" shoot down, but it feels jerky. Should it?

I got this one Gene...

http://www.martialartsmart.net/vidshaolkunn.html

This guy is excellent, I trained with him at Shaolin in 2000, actually learned the whip from him... Have not seen the video yet, but his quality is very very good. This school trains alot of traditional Shaolin Kung Fu.

I cut the butt hops out... I do not like the techniques in some of their forms that are the same as the Chinese acrobats perform...

Anyways...

Good luck and try a rope or a jump rope with only one handle 1st... I got a little shiner, but I learned the whole form in 2 days...

Happy Training

Judge Pen
    Daper Dan Man Join Date: Apr 2003

I stand corrected. I thought it wasn't taught out. Does anyone in Lexington still do that form?
    Yes, It is still done in Lexington
    The stronger you become in mind and body the more responsibilities you must endure.

Chainwhip is probrably my favorite weapon. My advice is practice EVERY day. In my opinion this is the best way to cut down on your injuries. Chainwhip does bite like a (mad dog).
    The stronger you become in mind and body the more responsibilities you must endure.

Quote Originally Posted by Sow Choy
    I got this one Gene...

http://www.martialartsmart.net/vidshaolkunn.html

This guy is excellent, I trained with him at Shaolin in 2000, actually learned the whip from him... Have not seen the video yet, but his quality is very very good. This school trains alot of traditional Shaolin Kung Fu.

I cut the butt hops out... I do not like the techniques in some of their forms that are the same as the Chinese acrobats perform...

Anyways...

Good luck and try a rope or a jump rope with only one handle 1st... I got a little shiner, but I learned the whole form in 2 days...

Happy Training
    I saw this vid the other day and was wondering if it is any good. Thanks for mentioning it. I assume if it's classical material, it will have some shoots, is that correct? I downloaded a Wushu instructional a couple of days ago and it only covers some spins. It really wasn't worth my bandwidth.

I've been practicing the shoot off the foot, and I'm slowly getting the hang of it. Thanks for the tips, guys.

Is there anything I should keep in mind regarding the neck changes? Following the vid clip I mentioned earlier, these are next on my list of techniques to tackle. These worry me a bit, for obvious reasons.

If I'm thinking of the right kind of technique, shoots are more common with a rope dart, so you might want to check out vids of that weapon to see more...

Cool, thanks.

I think MAYBE I have the "off the elbow" shoot down, but it feels jerky. Should it?
    Yes, at least in my experience. Every time I do it with either the 7 or 9 link, it kinda spirals out from the elbow. But when practicing with a rope/ball, it snaps straight out as it should. Never really tried to figure out why...being lazy on my part I guess.