Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Whip Chain!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller
    I'm praying that it isn't the SD move where you bite the chain and swing it around.
    No, it's a wrap where the whip comes under the right arm and over the left shoulder and you use your neck to direct the spin of the whip. It looks like a "mad-dog" because of the head movement. First time I tried it the tip hit me right across the bridge of my nose.

I think Hinag The's group has a chain whip form where they grab it with their teeth, but it's not in SD per se.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

In the 7-link, you shoot it off front foot, back foot, knee and elbow. Front foot is the hardest. The trick to all of them is catching the whip closer to the handle. The ****her down you trap it, theh faster the end will wrap and the harder it is to get the timing right.

Oh, and don't smile.....the teeth will chip easier without the lips to slow the spike!
    "Pain heals, chicks dig scars..Glory lasts forever"......

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen
    First time I tried it the tip hit me right across the bridge of my nose.

This is the reason why I don't play around with chain whips without instruction on how to spin them. You might want to keep that in mind dragonfly and not worry about it until your actually being taught technique by an instructor.

-Will
    Hippies can't stand deathmetal - Eric Cartman

I think Hinag The's group has a chain whip form where they grab it with their teeth, but it's not in SD per se.
    (No offense Golden_Tiger, inserting Kentucky joke below)

People in Kentucky can do that too, they don't have teeth to loose.

-Will

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Tiger
    The trick to all of them is catching the whip closer to the handle. The ****her down you trap it, theh faster the end will wrap and the harder it is to get the timing right.
    Yeah, Knowing it and doing it are two different things. I have a very heavy whip. Not this light weight stuff. I have all the spins (except for the ground work) but I don't have the form yet.

Oh, if you can tell me the trick to get the whip to straighten out when you grab it in the middle and spin it with one hand I would greatly appreciate it. Can't do that for crap either.
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Actually, it was taught out my Master Haing but it is alive and well at SD. It is in the 7-link "Dance of the Dragon" form(I think thats it..dragon, lion..something). And yes, similar to taking it off the neck to change directions you bite down and do a figure-8 (best description) then change sides.

See, the Meecer could actually have a heck of a sest of chompers on him if he knows that form.
    "Pain heals, chicks dig scars..Glory lasts forever"......

I stand corrected. I thought it wasn't taught out. Does anyone in Lexington still do that form?

I should invent a hinged mouth piece. I could make some cash. lol

-Will

Thanks for the info, guys.

I think I'll avoid the teeth technique for a while.

wdl, that's good advice, but I'm hard-headed.

Actually, I got the whip in hopes that it would limber up a chronic shoulder problem. It seems to be working.

I grabbed the short clip at Grooms' site, but it has only a few of the spins.

Golden Tiger, I've tried that shoot of the foot, but can't seem to get it. Is there a particular link you should kick, or is it mostly momentum and "pull?"

Quote Originally Posted by DragonflyDaoist
    Thanks for the info, guys.

I think I'll avoid the teeth technique for a while.

Actually, I got the whip in hopes that it would limber up a chronic shoulder problem. It seems to be working.

I grabbed the short clip at Grooms' site, but it has only a few of the spins.

Golden Tiger, I've tried that shoot of the foot, but can't seem to get it. Is there a particular link you should kick, or is it mostly momentum and "pull?"
    Well, with the preface that I have a ****ens with this shoot, you don't pull the whip. You get your foot a couple of links down form the handle and push with your foot. The momentum of the whip carries the tip around. At least it does when I do it correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonflyDaoist
    It won't be so hard after the tip gets ahold of you a few times.

My instructor used to be a coworker of mine. His favorite weapon is chain whip, I've dealt with him spinning power chords, computer mice, rope with a tennis ball, and his whip on the job. Like JP, he spins a heavy whip.

He gave his self a concussion two years ago preparing for tournament time here. That was after several years of spinning a softer object and his whip still. It WILL bite you. Or take a chunk out of your head.

Trust me, ditch the whip and learn with a piece of rope and a tennis ball if your that determinted to learn the spins and technique.

-Will
    Last edited by wdl; 03-21-2005 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Additional info

Quote Originally Posted by wdl
    It won't be so hard after the tip gets ahold of you a few times.

My instructor used to be a coworker of mine. His favorite weapon is chain whip, I've dealt with him spinning power chords, computer mice, rope with a tennis ball, and his whip on the job. Like JP, he spins a heavy whip.

He gave his self a concussion two years ago preparing for tournament time here. That was after several years of spinning a softer object and his whip still. It WILL bite you. Or take a chunk out of your head.

Trust me, ditch the whip and learn with a piece of rope and a tennis ball if your that determinted to learn the spins and technique.

-Will
    I'm too stubborn. I learned with my whip. It didn't take me long to pad the tip though.

I'm too stubborn. I learned with my whip. It didn't take me long to pad the tip though.
    I'd say it didn't. I've played with the basic side changing spins with a rope and a tennis ball, that was enough for me to know if I got a whip I'd better pad it before starting. The first time I clocked myself in the back of the head I was glad it wasn't a whip.

-Will

A couple of links down from the handle? That sounds strange. But I'll try it sometime.

To support your warnings, wdl, I did hit my ankle one day. Over the next hour or so, the pain spread up my leg -- a strange, "internal" sort of pain. I suppose I struck the pressure point down there. It was interesting, to say the least.. By the next morning, all was good, though.

It does sound strange, but it works. I can't always get the timing right, but the higher up the better.