Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Whip Chain!!!!!

help with whip chain

In my experience that movement (right elbow hook) is a common long staff movement. Much of the movement of whipchain are longstaff or broadsword based, except for some obvious ones like neck wraps. Those seem to be about rhythm. Have you trained with either the long staff or broadsword (in a kung fu context) before? You might find that some of the movements are can be applied in a similar manner. They say that longstaff is the father of all weapons.

I bought some chain whips just 4 fun. I have no idea how to use them except like the rope or tsoan tje kune.
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

chain whip

Ok, we got a bit off topic on another thread, and I am extremely interested in finding some traditional "soft" weapon forms. Is this
    shaolin 9 section chain whip a traditional form? Anyone know where I can get either a traditional chain whip form or rope dart?
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

I may be wrong, but I think basic chainwhip techniques are pretty much the same, whether modern or traditional. I think the only major difference is the wieght of the whip.

wushu whips

There are definately some whip forms that are more wushu - here's an example. That's wushu, single and double whip. The spins are about the same, it's true, but the wushu forms will do stuff like throw the whip up in the air while the traditionals tend to repeat the same simple move over and over. Weight is certainly a factor. The Shaolin video on the first post is more traditional. I'm not sure that I've seen something that I would call a traditional rope dart form. I've seen some rope dart qinna techniques that I would consider traditional, but they were loose techniques, not form bound.

Our whips are an average fighting weight, not as light as a wushu whip, but I have seen heavier too, to be fair.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Rope Dart Video

Rope Dart videos of any kind are hard to find. I recently bought a video done by Li Jinheng. It is NOT professionally done, but it it very, very clear. It has multiple angles, because he'll just stand up and repeat the sequence going in a different direction. It's slow and fast speed (no special effects, he just does the movements slower). Li Jinheng is a very nice man with very good skills. His teaching ability is also very good. If you want to pick-up rope dart techniques, I'd highly recommend his video. www.worldmas.com It's not listed on there, so you'd have to email to get it. It's $35.00 and on ebay now and again. The only drawback is that it is from a competitor to Martialartsmart, but if they don't have a similar product...
    I really liked that Whip Chain Jiangsu Wushu Team video. I agree that tossing the whip into the air isn't traditional, but the spins and wraps are. I guess there are only so many ways to do that I prefer to use the lighter weight chains, especially learing double--they just hurt less. One of these days I'm going to have to check out that Shaolin Whip Chain video. So many videos....At least there's not a monk within hundreds of miles that I could learn from to interfere with my video training.
    Blah, blah, blah...

I'm not sure that I've seen something that I would call a traditional rope dart form. I've seen some rope dart qinna techniques that I would consider traditional, but they were loose techniques, not form bound
    From what I know of rope dart, it's more of a collection of techniques than an actual preset form. So a form is pretty much you begin, show each "wrap" and end. It's impressive enough just to be able to do it and not knock your teeth out without trying to add any "tricks" From what I've seen of the rope dart done in Chinese wushu competitions, the rope dart guys plays a game of seeing how close he can come to putting the dart through the camera lense before pulling it back, lol

Thanks for the replies guys....

I think I'll give the shaolin video a whirl... pun intended.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

You can find a great heavy steel whip at www.fistsport.com/

I have been looking for years for a decent mid weight steel whip but most of the ones I see are all trash. I have a mid weight from about 20 years ago that is still ticking and whipping but never seen another like it....

I noticed someone posted the lyric to a ground spinning chain whip. Is this one of the ones where you lay on your back and bounce the whip under you? It is my understanding that that type of move is only for show and never included in a REAL fighting set.
    Comments

Lokhopkuen
    To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

"Not engaging in ignorance is wisdom."
    ~ Bodhi

Never miss a good chance to shut up

Not the same

No, it is a different technique all together. No bounce, just rolling and spinning.

Chain Whip Video

Does anyone have any chain whip vids? I am particularly interested in "shooting the tip" techniques, and any video from Shaolin-Do practitioners. Thanks!

I'll see if I can round one up for you. Are you refering to "shooting the tip" off the elbow, knee or foot from the 7-link or out of the 9-link?
    "Pain heals, chicks dig scars..Glory lasts forever"......

I only have the 9 link. Shooting the tip off is the most difficult thing for me for some reason. I can Mad-dog the whip a lot better then I can shoot it off my foot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Right now, I'm just trying to get the techniques down in preparation for the future requirements. I'm using a 9 section whip. I would appreciate anything you could provide.

JP, what exactly is the Mad Dog? I've seen in mentioned in print, but haven't seen it in action.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller
    I'm praying that it isn't the SD move where you bite the chain and swing it around.
    ROFL.

Dragon Fly, I'm not aware of any SD chain whip videos around. Your best bet to see SD Chain Whip done very well is to come to the fall tournament in Tennessee and hope Master Mullins demos it. He didn't this last year so it wouldn't be a surprise to see it done this year. I've seen other's chain whip from around the SD system and no one compares to Master Mullins' inside SD, not even close. He's got a few students coming up under him that can spin a whip well too.

-Will
    Hippies can't stand deathmetal - Eric Cartman