Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: FAO Terence

You have two fighters, one just know's how to fight and has all access to his tools and can use them for any situation at will, but does not understand the how's or why's. The other has that same skill but can explain it also, as well as teach it to others in such a way as they to can obtain the same skills (with the same intensity and dedication required). Who would be the more effective fighter you think?

James

Whichever one them ate their Wheaties that morning.
    'Talk is cheap because there is an excess of supply over demand'

Quote Originally Posted by Matrix
    Whichever one them ate their Wheaties that morning.
    Good one, I will have to factor that in on the next hypothetical...

James

Kev,

different lifts and training focuses do different things for me. The best bangs for my buck for foot speed have been plyos, heavy squats above parallel (before I started low squatting, which cut my weights way back), and a 225lb bodyweight. For explosive hip action and short hitting, power cleans and jerks have been having a real effect, for overall body connection and hip strength and flexibility, front squats and overhead squats. That being said, I've had less time in front of warm bodies the last year and can definitely feel the difference in loss of timing and skill. Lifting is improving my attributes, but its gains need to be consolidated into skill (GPP-> SPP).

Terence,

I agree with you regarding the best way to coach being Darwinian- put them in a position where they *have* to figure out how to do something right.

That being said, to correct any problem (in yourself or someone else) you generally have to *work* at solving the problem, analyzing the problem, coming up with a hypothesis for its cause, developing a solution, then seeing if the solution works. The last part, the solution working, is the most important, and often the middle steps are discordant with physical reality. I would argue that working off some education in sports science can be very useful, and is more likely to yield results than working entirely intuitively. Conveying a skill is not the same as understanding what needs to be conveyed.

If I understand the mechanics of hitting, I can show someone how to punch, look at their technique, create an environment to refine their mechanics, see what limits their ability to deliver, prescribe accessory exercises to bring up their weak links, and repeat. This isn't necessary once someone has 'mastered' the technique, but, IME, can speed the route to competence, and is the basis of rehabilitating the injured athlete. Does the athlete have to know all this stuff? No. NFL teams have offensive coaches, defensive coaches, S&C coaches, rehab docs, masseurs and masseuses, agility coaches, and the guys in charge of the steroids. Those of us who lack a 100 person support staff have to do for ourselves, hence it can be useful to learn this stuff if you have the intellectual bent.

Later,

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewS
    I would argue that working off some education in sports science can be very useful, and is more likely to yield results than working entirely intuitively. Conveying a skill is not the same as understanding what needs to be conveyed.

If I understand the mechanics of hitting, I can show someone how to punch, look at their technique, create an environment to refine their mechanics, see what limits their ability to deliver, prescribe accessory exercises to bring up their weak links, and repeat.
    Andrew,
    Well said. I absolutey agree with your arguement.

Now I just need to figure out how to get down to your neck of the woods, so that I can get some coaching.
    'Talk is cheap because there is an excess of supply over demand'

Andrew,

If your ever in the UK i'll have to get you to do a S&C seminar for my humble little class

Cheers

Kev
    It's time to turn it on! This is what i train for, this is where i want to be. Fear is not an option it's time to release the rage!

Hey Kev,

I'd be happy to show what I know. My S&C take is profoundly a work in progress. I'm doing a bunch of involved stuff now for my own amusement, but the thing is to weigh where you spend your time. The time I spend on S&C is time I have to spare, when it's hard for me to get to people to work with. IMO, with a limited amount of time, that time is best spent on your sport and SPP. GPP and increasing speed and strength should be reserved for people with time to spend who've already plateaued in their skill development (probably 'cos they need to develop their bodies more).

Time to go do intervals. *sigh*

F*ckin' Tabata.

Later,

Andrew

Andrew,

Tell me about it. Im struggling for a training partner at the mo got cack all in the way of spotters so ME days gotta kind of back off a bit for safety reasons (just in case scenario). Gotta guy coming back in the next three weeks though so things are looking up.

Cheers
    Kev

P.s Any recomendations keep em coming. Theres a good old testament/new testament read up on T Magazine on the old and new westside methoods worth a read..
    It's time to turn it on! This is what i train for, this is where i want to be. Fear is not an option it's time to release the rage!