Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Mysterious Lok Yiu

Miles: as for your "technical" questions (Chi Sao pressure, weight distribution...), i can't answer that, because my sifu doesn't talk and I don't ask - we believe that if you want to know something about somebody's teaching methods, you should go and ask that person. But, for info on LY, you might try these sites:
    http://www.vingtsun.org.hk/
    http://www.elywcimaa.com/

As for comparison between LY and WSL, my sifu always says that there's only one WCKF - the original one, but the people may differ. WSL was perhaps more famous, because he fought more. He thought Beimo was the most important test for WC practitioners, and, according to my sifu, his WC was simple, efficient, straight-forward and very much lethal . Lok Yiu, on the other hand, didn't fight that much, and isn't so "combat orientated". But they both received the same WC from Yip Man, and that's what's it all about.

From what I've heard, Lok Yiu doesn't advertize at all (very few HK masters do), and perhaps that's why he so "unknown".
    FACT OF THE DAY: Chuck Norris isn’t lactose intolerant. He just doesn’t put up with lactose’s sh!t.

I doubt Lok Yiu talks much about forward pressure. Tsui Seung Tin does use it a lot though.

Perhaps a little less mysterious

I believe this is Lok Yu standing next to Kenneth Chung at the recent opening of the Ip Man Tong.

kj- thanks for sharing that great shot of Lok Yiu and Ken.

I hope that we can get some reports on how the opening ceremonies went.
    joy

Originally posted by yuanfen
    kj- thanks for sharing that great shot of Lok Yiu and Ken.
    Glad to share it, Joy. I neglected to mention that the photo is posted courtesy of the owner, Tom Tang. There is another with Lon Gi; I'll try to post that one on the old thread if I can find it as well.

I hope that we can get some reports on how the opening ceremonies went.
    joy
    Yes, I hope so too.

Regards,
    - kj

Thanks for posting the picture. I don't see a wheelchair so he seems to be okay.

kung fu books

Yes- Lok Yiu's face and complexion is pretty clear and even though there is a walking stick resting front of him- he is standing fairly erect.
    With the passing of many first generation students, the retirement of others including Lok Yiu and the semiretirement of others including Ho kam Ming we have already entered a different era in wing chun in the Yip Man line. Then with the passing of Pan Nam and recently Sum Nun- it all constitutes quite a changing scene. Quo vadis wing chun?

Blog Entries
    Hi,
    What's Lok Yiu linage approach to wing chun like. In regards to footwork does he use the 50/50 wieghting, What strategies/drills does he teach to bridge the distance. Does he stress angular or straight footwork. Is his chi sao the same approach as TST's.

Thanks
    kung fu fighter

"Besides, Lok Yiu is one of Yip Man's "Top four" (WSL, LS, TST, LY)..." (quiet man)

REALLY NOW ???

No Cheung Chuk Hing (William Cheung)...???

LOL.

Well them and others that started around the same time would have been the "top students" at a certain time. Just like any martial art school, the top students are the ones have trained the longest and with the most dedication. William Cheung would have been the top student in his class, and generation.

Hi,
    I spend in 1994 some days and 1997 about 10 days of training in Lok Yius Sifu school in Hong Kong - thanks my former teacher, Wilhelm Blech.
    Lok Yiu sifu is now retired but his two sons are still teaching in his home some students. Lok Yiu Sifu teach in Hong Kong Police Wu Shu Club some policemans too.
    He is in his 80 now and still in shape! Last time I saw him in Hong Kong last year, I think he is now active in AVTA, see here AVTA .

My impresions of him from 10 years ago...
    - fast
    - lot of "power"

But sorry, about technical question to his style Im not the right person to speak about... contact his european student Wihelm Blech.
    greetings
    YiWan

Ivan Rzounek
    "Gwongjau" & "Siuhing Fung Siuching Baan Jung" WingChun
    http://www.wing-chun.cz
    http://www.facebook.com/ivanrzounekwingchun

Originally posted by Ultimatewingchun
    "Besides, Lok Yiu is one of Yip Man's "Top four" (WSL, LS, TST, LY)..." (quiet man)

REALLY NOW ???

No Cheung Chuk Hing (William Cheung)...???

LOL.
    (I don't know whether you're being sarcastic or not, but I'll reply anyway)

First of all, I'm not talking from my own experience, having never met anyone mentioned above. I'm just telling it the way I heard it from my sifu (and he was a direct student of Leung Ting for several years before "switching" to Wong Shun Leung, has trained with Lok Yiu on several occasions, and knows many other prominent teachers and students personally). Needless to say, I believe him. But I really didn't mean to disparage anyone. If you say William Cheung (I presume you're in his lineage) deserves to be in the "top 4" list, fine by me, I respect your opinion and won't contradict you. The way I see it, there is no way to establish the truth anyway.

Like I said, it was just a remark with no ulterior motives. No need for capitals and multiple question marks, I'm not a troll and I'm not trying to start a war here.
    FACT OF THE DAY: Chuck Norris isn’t lactose intolerant. He just doesn’t put up with lactose’s sh!t.

Talking

quiet man:

No problem. I'm Italian-American...we talk loud and with our hands - using caps is just my style, that's all.

.................................................. ................................

Miles:

About this...

"Well them and others that started around the same time would have been the "top students" at a certain time. Just like any martial art school, the top students are the ones have trained the longest and with the most dedication. William Cheung would have been the top student in his class, and generation."

William Cheung and Wong Shun Leung were comtemporaries - and to leave either one of them out of a top 4 list...or a top 5 list...or any kind of "top of" list - when talking about Yip Man's students...

is a bad joke.

Why you dont contact the only one european students of Lok Yiu Sifu, Wilhelm Blech ??? He can give you all answers to all your questions...
    Ivan Rzounek
    "Gwongjau" & "Siuhing Fung Siuching Baan Jung" WingChun
    http://www.wing-chun.cz
    http://www.facebook.com/ivanrzounekwingchun

Hi All,
    I have enjoyed this thread thus far and decided to make a small contribution of my own. On one of my earliest stayovers in Hong Kong, around 1986/7 I believe, I took it upon myself to visit the school of Sifu Lok Yiu on my "day off" from training. I had told my Sifu, Wong Shun Leung, that I was going to visit and he had smiled and said that Sifu Lok Yiu wasn't too partial to visitors and might not wish to talk to me, but he wished me well in my "mission" to do so. I arrived at the address that I had found in the pages of "New Martial Hero" magazine and rang the buzzer. I could hear the sound of people training inside (the sound of the 'Jong' was a dead giveaway), so I knew that I was at the right place, and soon the door opened partially and a gentleman asked in broken English why I was there. I immediately broke into Chinese and introduced myself as a student of Wong Sifu and asked if I may meet Lok Sifu and watch the class. The door closed momentarily and the man went back inside, asking me to wait. After a few moments, the door opened once again and I was asked to come inside and sit down. I was then introduced to Lok Sifu and a conversation began. To cut a long story very short, he was a wonderful man to talk to and made me feel very welcome. At various times during our conversation he asked me to demonstrate my basic forms, on each occasion making remarks concerning how different/similar they were, demonstarted his own take on things, and generally talking about the concepts involved. At one point he even stood up and did a little 'Poon Sau' with me and I recall that his actions were somewhat larger than my Sifu's, but the general feel was very similar. What I recall most vividly was that he had very large hands and when he moved towards me it was like the sun was covered over!

All in all, it was a very pleasant experience and certainly made all the more comfortable by the fact that there was no language barrier. I remember asking if I could have a photo with him for a souvenir of the visit, but he politely declined, saying that he didn't want to face the possibility of seeing it in a magazine somewhere with claims that I'd learnt from him. I respected that and we parted on happy terms. The next day, when I went training, Sifu asked how I had gone in my quest and was amazed that I had succeded in seeing Lok Sifu. He told me that it was a very rare thing indeed (at least at that time anyway) for a foreigner to gain access to the school and that I could consider myself fortunate to have been there. Since then, I have seen Lok Sifu twice more, once at my Sifu's funeral where Lok Sifu was himself very ill and assisted by two others following what I believe was heart surgery, and again at the Ving Tsun Conference in 1999, where he seemed much healthier. Both times, however, I didn't have a chance to chat with him. I have noticed recently that he has been more active on the Net and I am pleased to see that he is looking very fit. Hope you don't mind me sharing the story - it's one of my "happy memories"
    DMP
    Last edited by David Peterson; 02-16-2005 at 07:00 PM.