Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The best kungfu instructor/master you trained under

I bounced around until I met my current Black Tiger Sifu. This man is incredible and I am very lucky to have found someone of this calibur in a city practically void of kung fu. Save for maybe that dancing Wushu stuff.

I think this question could be ammended to add that maybe it is the practioner who is going to allow the teacher to teach them? We all here about great Sifus, but what about great students? I don't mean great as in the best or whatever, or even on a scale similar to the teacher, but who here has given all they can with their teacher? I think that means more than all the fancy names and titles. A student, such as myself, must be able to train, and to learn and to grow as a person or else they cannot keep up with the teacher and they will stagnate. This, I think, is harder than finding a great teacher: one must become a great student in order to reap any benefits of a great teacher. And we all know of the high standards of Kung Fu teachers and these must be maintained if the art is to be passed on, most of us won't be here in twenty or thirty years. But hopefully some will and they will continue the martial art tradition and the treasures of the past will be maintained.
    A unique snowflake

Originally posted by WinterPalm
    I bounced around until I met my current Black Tiger Sifu. This man is incredible and I am very lucky to have found someone of this calibur in a city practically void of kung fu. Save for maybe that dancing Wushu stuff.

I think this question could be ammended to add that maybe it is the practioner who is going to allow the teacher to teach them? We all here about great Sifus, but what about great students? I don't mean great as in the best or whatever, or even on a scale similar to the teacher, but who here has given all they can with their teacher? I think that means more than all the fancy names and titles. A student, such as myself, must be able to train, and to learn and to grow as a person or else they cannot keep up with the teacher and they will stagnate. This, I think, is harder than finding a great teacher: one must become a great student in order to reap any benefits of a great teacher. And we all know of the high standards of Kung Fu teachers and these must be maintained if the art is to be passed on, most of us won't be here in twenty or thirty years. But hopefully some will and they will continue the martial art tradition and the treasures of the past will be maintained.
    But the great masters were great students once themselves. In fact, they proved to be the greatest students and that is why they are great masters
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

Word, I think we missed the point there on that last one, I think we take the great student bit as granted

Chan Pui & Shr ZhengZhong

Hey JP, it was great to train with you, I appreciated the opportunity!

Originally posted by Shiva
    Olaf Simon
    Fu-Pow, you're such a tard. First you try to use Shaolin-Do taiji clips on EF as clips of you, now your trolling here as Temple Kung Fu?

Originally posted by MasterKiller
    Fu-Pow, you're such a tard. First you try to use Shaolin-Do taiji clips on EF as clips of you, now your trolling here as Temple Kung Fu?
    Have a link to that MK? Sounds like an interesting thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Originally posted by Judge Pen
    Have a link to that MK? Sounds like an interesting thread.
    http://www.emptyflower.com/cgi-bin/y...6576;start=284

He goes by his Chingrish name over there, Ai Lek Ou Seun.

Check out where he get's spanked around here:

http://www.emptyflower.com/cgi-bin/y...num=1106668144

No one takes this guy seriously. Except, maybe, his other 10 personalities.
    Last edited by MasterKiller; 02-04-2005 at 01:29 PM.

lets see how many deleted threads and locked ones you guys can conger up.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

The link doesn't work **** for brains.

Hope you and your lover Fool-Pow, I Lick Old Son or whatever his name is, work things out. I'll come to the wedding.

You ****wad.
    Page 19 of the Training Pic and Vid Post Thread (on page 2 of the main forum).

http://www.emptyflower.com/cgi-bin/y...num=1106536576
    Last edited by MasterKiller; 02-04-2005 at 12:48 PM.

And apparently you do too Nancy.....
    I really love it when a guy who didn't know what a sprawl was until a couple of weeks ago thinks he has a complete fighting system.

Masterkiller,

with all due respect - do not change the subject it was running good.

Once again - the best teacher you had/have and what impressed you in him the most .
    "Si vis pacem , para bellum" - Wanna peace, get ready for a war. - My message

"Right or wrong, my country!" - My weakness

"Wein, Weib und Gesang" - My passion

"Dobroye bratstvo — luchsheye bogatstvo " - Good brothership is the better wealth - My experiance

" A mas dolor, mas honor " - The more danger , the more honor - My vision

My current Sifu.. Master Chow Chi Fung aka Philipman Chow... 70+ and still strong.

www.martialartmantis.com

I've never met a teacher with so much knowlege, I'm blessed.

Post# 500 !!!!!! (I dont know if that is good or bad)
    Last edited by Skarbromantis; 02-04-2005 at 01:56 PM.
    skarbro -- you're in, brother. your sole responsibility -- mock temple kung fu. -rubthebuddha

Its not what goes in a man that defile's him, its what comes out.

www.torontohiphop.com

I am not meaning this in any way to indicate that I feel as a student that I am great. That is not what I intended to state. However, the saying that I've heard my Sifu say is that it is hard to find a good teacher but even harder to find a good student. Since I've found a great teacher, I find that the statement could be altered to add that it is hard to find a good teacher, and even harder to be a good student. That is my take on it from where I stand.
    A unique snowflake

This talk of being a good student is very relevant. Every single class I have with my Sifu his ability and knowledge make me feel like a beginner, time and time again. Every class I strive to take in 10% of what's he trying to teach us. I do my best every single time, but I'm a still not a great student. I'd love to be a better student.

However, I think it's pretty universal that any great teacher will recognise a student that is trying as hard as they can to learn, and training and practicing outside of class too. Then they will try to give all their greatness over time.

I sure hope this is so anyway!
    Train Smart, Train Hard & Enjoy Every Minute Of It.

Kung Fu & Personal Training: ABActive.com