Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Have you got hands as fast as this guy?

Fake chisau

Hiya, Phil. Just to address some of your points...

PR:In my nearly 35 years of consistant training in WC I have seen MANY who a really good at chi sau but cannot fight.

Chisauking: Every one of us has the ability to fight -- the only question is how good can we fight. Also, our standard of chisau may differ. What may be considered good to you may be rubbish to me.

PR:I know because when I was training under Yoel Judah I use to spar with lots of WC people. I was better conditioned and could take a good hit. They couldn't. If you've never been hit really hard during sparring do you know if you'll be able to continue? I've seen the guys good at Chi Sau catch a good punch/kick to the head or body during sparring and then are unable to continue.

Chisauking: A tolerance to pain is obvously an important, mental fighting attribute, and I can assure you that anyone that purports to have reach a high level in chisau would have surpassed this mental stage.

PR:Chi Sau is a cooperative training tool. I've seen to many people who think because they "tapped" you a few times during Chi Sau practice they are also good at fighting as well. Chi Sau teaches contact reflexes. Many of the techniques in Chi Sau are not directly applicable in real situations. You need to transpose the principles you learn in Chi Sau into sparring against an uncooperating partner using FULL power from different ranges. Also, real fighting requires heart, conditioning, power, and maybe even luck. There are many good fighters who know nothing of Chi Sau but they do have skill training, conditioning and most important, heart.

Chisauking: Chisau is only cooperative at a basic and intermediate level. Once you have reached a proficient level, the only limit is your ability and ruthlessness -- in other words, how much do you want to punish your opponent. You may place limits and cooperation in your chisau, many other practitioners don't.

As regards to that "realistic training clip" many, many wing chun practitioners already train more realistic than that anyway. In fact, to me, it was VERY unrealistic and dead. Quick examples: Gloves and no shoes. Who do you know that fights with gloves and no shoes on the street? I spar with no gloves and wearing Dr. Martin shoes, and sometimes a freemeal in the hospital is provided courtesy of the NHS for some of the particapants. No big deal. How about the stick clip. How many people on this forum that's been in a full-out gang fight seen the fighters hitting out only once with sticks and iron bars? You will find in reality that people using sticks or bars -- any weapon for the matter -- will not stop until their opponent is down and out -- sometimes they will continue even when the guy is knocked unconscious! Why don't they -- in the clip -- train like that than if they claim to be realistic and alive?

At the end of the day, no matter how realistic I think I train, I can't match the realitity of training that occured at an earlier time by our wing chun ancestors. But unlike some on this forum pointing to that clip for reference, I don't delude myself otherwise. And I don't poke fun or ridicule others for choosing to train at a lesser intensity. As I have said before, your fighting may not be fighting.

One last time: Does anyone know of a prominant wing chun practitioner that's reach the "BEST" in chisau but can't fight?

Originally posted by Chisauking
    Chisau is only cooperative at a basic and intermediate level. Once you have reached a proficient level, the only limit is your ability and ruthlessness -- in other words, how much do you want to punish your opponent. You may place limits and cooperation in your chisau, many other practitioners don't.
    Then I would argue it isn't chi sao! Chi sao, the way I've been taught in different lineages, is sensitivity drill for developing forward energy, reading weakness and openings in your partner's posture, responding by reflex, working set-ups to create weakness and openings etc., and on occasion going over the things you got wrong or working particular patterns with your partner. Using Mat Thornton's criteria I would say it's a semi-live drill... there is resistance and it's not usually in a set pattern but it's not usually full resistance.

After that, if you are working with an opponent not a partner, and you are including factors like 'ruthlessness' and 'how much do you want to punish your opponent' I would say you are not doing chi sao, you are sparring. Using the chi sao positions to start, and as a rough framework, but sparring.

And sure, I can mix it up in chi sao... I can get brutal, and have ended up injured in chi sao... but I would argue that it was at that point [bad chi sao... the structures were failing, the sloppy techs were coming out, it was ending up like bad grappling. So sure, fighting isn't pretty, but my point is at that point it was less like chi sao and more like sparring.

And as for the live training clip, they're ways of making your training more and more live, and still being able to train for a long long time without having serious injuries. You have to draw the line somewhere or you don't have any training partners left.

One last time: Does anyone know of a prominant wing chun practitioner that's reach the "BEST" in chisau but can't fight?
    Why do you keep asking this? Originally Terence Niehoff put 'best' in quotation marks, obviously alluding to not really thinking THE best but 'of a generally high level'.

Of course, there is no THE best. And I would agree with Terence, that many I've met who have been good at chi sao have not been able to hold their own in sparring.

Here's a question back to you:
    I spar with no gloves and wearing Dr. Martin shoes, and sometimes a freemeal in the hospital is provided courtesy of the NHS for some of the particapants. No big deal.
    I usually spar and chi sao (to many levels of resistance and 'liveness') in army boots, trainers, civvies, and no gloves, and although I've had a biu jee in the back of my eye, several broken noses, bruises, scrapes, cuts etc, I've never put anyone in hospital and never been put in hospital... Tell us some of the times when you or your training partners have had a free meal courtesy of the NHS...!

I'm not calling you out on this one, but I'm genuinely interested... I will probably argue that I think it's a daft way to train, but let's see!
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

This is my perspective --

Chi sao is a drill. The skills one develops in chi sao are not fighting skills (anyone who fights regularly will see that immediately) but they are *precursors* to fighting skills. No one can become a significantly better fighter doing just chi sao (or forms or san sao or a combination of the three). This is not to say chi sao isn't important (though I could make a good argument that the drill is grossly overrated) but it is a step toward the objective. The drill has unfortunately become the centerpiece of WCK because WCK has been taken over by nonfighters, just as push hands is the centerpiece of that other nonmartial art, tai ji.

Chi sao is a cooperative drill and not an "alive" drill because folks are *not behaving* like they would in a fight (and if you think you are behaving like you would in a fight with your chi sao - "my chi sao is combat ready" - then you are crusin' for a bruisin'! Go give it a try by fighting with someone *good* and after your regain consciouness I'll wager you feel differently.) -- the intensity is not there, the resisitance is not there, the intention is not there as they all would be in a fight. And this is crucial to understand because if the mainstay of your training is chi sao then you are training poor fighting habits -- you're making yourself a worse fighter-- because your are inculcating habits that won't be productive in a fight and you aren't developing the attributes, like sensitivity, to the level they are needed (in fighting). To develop greater fighting skill you need to take from the drill and then leave the drill behind.

Now, I know some folks will respond with "I've been in a few fights and have done OK" or "I've sparred with my classmates" or "I've sparred in tournaments" or what have you as some evidence that chi sao alone did work. But the problem is that they are judging by their ability to deal with crappy folks; the test of skill isn't that someone can beat crap but deal with skilled folks. Go fight with folks that have proven higher-level skills. That's the only way to know.

Fake chisau

Mat sez: Then I would argue it isn't chi sao! Chi sao, the way I've been taught in different lineages, is sensitivity drill for developing forward energy, reading weakness and openings in your partner's posture, responding by reflex, working set-ups to create weakness and openings etc., and on occasion going over the things you got wrong or working particular patterns with your partner. Using Mat Thornton's criteria I would say it's a semi-live drill... there is resistance and it's not usually in a set pattern but it's not usually full resistance.

Chisauking: You can argue all you want, Chisau, in the context of wing chun, encompases dan-chi, luk-sau, gor-sau, etc., and there's no restriction on resistance or techniques at the highest level. I can't help the fact that large % of practitioners haven't reach that level, and their chisau has to be governed by the limitations of the lower levels.

Mat: After that, if you are working with an opponent not a partner, and you are including factors like 'ruthlessness' and 'how much do you want to punish your opponent' I would say you are not doing chi sao, you are sparring. Using the chi sao positions to start, and as a rough framework, but sparring.

Chisauking: See above regarding chisau and gor-sau. Also, only beginers would think that chisau has to be applied in a particular position and place.

Mat: And sure, I can mix it up in chi sao... I can get brutal, and have ended up injured in chi sao... but I would argue that it was at that point [bad chi sao... the structures were failing, the sloppy techs were coming out, it was ending up like bad grappling. So sure, fighting isn't pretty, but my point is at that point it was less like chi sao and more like sparring.

Chisauking: Again, see above regarding gor-sau. Just because YOUR chisau starts to fall apart at a higher intenisity doesn't mean other people's chisau are the same.

Mat: And as for the live training clip, they're ways of making your training more and more live, and still being able to train for a long long time without having serious injuries. You have to draw the line somewhere or you don't have any training partners left.

Chisauking: you missed my point completely. Some of the FIGHTERS on this forum is repeatedly advocating that you have to fight to get better at fighting, and they pointed to the Mat Thorton clip as an example. I merely observed that lots of wing chun practitioners already practice to that intensity, and for some, far above that intensity. Although I love fighting, I would be the first to admit that what I'm doing isn't realistic fighting as such, and I don't feel you need to fight in order to get good at fighting. There are excellent methods to improve your fighting skills without actual FIGHTING and getting badly injuried, and that framework is CHISAU within the style of wing chun. All the so-called fighters that laugh at this statement and start to talk about BJJ and how realistic the training is compared to chisau is simply deluding themselves. NO style in the world actually fight for real in training, no matter how intensive they SPAR.

Mat:Why do you keep asking this? Originally Terence Niehoff put 'best' in quotation marks, obviously alluding to not really thinking THE best but 'of a generally high level'.

Chisauking: I asked twiced, and still no one has given me a name yet.

Mat: Of course, there is no THE best. And I would agree with Terence, that many I've met who have been good at chi sao have not been able to hold their own in sparring.

Chisauking: Your chisau may not be my chisau, and our standards obviously differ

Mat: Here's a question back to you: I usually spar and chi sao (to many levels of resistance and 'liveness') in army boots, trainers, civvies, and no gloves, and although I've had a biu jee in the back of my eye, several broken noses, bruises, scrapes, cuts etc, I've never put anyone in hospital and never been put in hospital... Tell us some of the times when you or your training partners have had a free meal courtesy of the NHS...!

Chisauking: As I have said, it's no big deal. I have been training for quite a long time now, and I love to train with everybody and anybody, to whatever level they like to go: rules, no rules, grass, tarmac, stop when down, continue until one is unable or knock out. All I ask people is that if they are better than me, show me a little mercy. The point is, when it's time for the fist and legs to "talk", and my opponent tries to knock me out, I'm not holding back. In that moment, anything can happen. Over the years, people have gone to the hospital with dislocated joints, torn ligaments, damaged knee, concussion, etc. No big deal, it is all part of the game. As the Chinese saying goes: Kune Guerk Mo Ann (fist and legs has no eyes)

Mat: I'm not calling you out on this one, but I'm genuinely interested... I will probably argue that I think it's a daft way to train, but let's see!

Chisauking: Training for years and years for maybe 2-seconds of use is daft, so what? Besides, if you face violent people, you have to train in violent ways.

Happy new year to everybody. I may have to cut down on my participation on this forum soon, because I'm resuming on training and flying, so I may not be able to respond to replies

Your fighting may not be fighting; your chisau may not be chisau

Re: Fake chisau

Chisauking: You can argue all you want...

Mat: Cheers!

CSK: Chisau, in the context of wing chun, encompases dan-chi, luk-sau, gor-sau, etc.

Mat: so you say gor sao = a form of chi sao, I say gor sao = a form of sparring. So apart from the Chinese terminology we agree, except that I evidently believe the framework for practice in gor sao to be different to that of chi sao.

CSK: and there's no restriction on resistance or techniques at the highest level.

Mat: You missed my point entirely; You said yourself: there is no FIGHTING in any martial art. It isn't NHB. You don't use lethal or even excessive force, you just finish the job.

CSK: I can't help the fact that large % of practitioners haven't reach that level, and their chisau has to be governed by the limitations of the lower levels.

Mat: so the problem is either semantics (gor sao vs sparring) or quality control... in which case you're of course the chi sao king and part of the small percentage that are getting the real high level stuff...?

Chisauking: Also, only beginers would think that chisau has to be applied in a particular position and place.

Mat: Don't understand this. I didn't suggest this, and I don't know who would.

Chisauking: Again, see above regarding gor-sau. Just because YOUR chisau starts to fall apart at a higher intenisity doesn't mean other people's chisau are the same... Your chisau may not be my chisau, and our standards obviously differ...

Mat: So again, what you're saying is I'm crap!? Fair enough, I can live with that. I've met and trained with a lot of people, some of whom are better than me, and some who aren't, but I would have to disagree with you!

My standards are obviously gonna be different to yours or anybody else's, but as I said, what you call gor sao, I'm more likely to call sparring than chi sao. I hope I can pressure test my WC structure in sparring, but it's gonna be different to a co-operative chi sao drill.

Mat: And as for the live training clip, they're ways of making your training more and more live, and still being able to train for a long long time without having serious injuries. You have to draw the line somewhere or you don't have any training partners left.

Chisauking: you missed my point completely. Some of the FIGHTERS on this forum is repeatedly advocating that you have to fight to get better at fighting, and they pointed to the Mat Thorton clip as an example. I merely observed that lots of wing chun practitioners already practice to that intensity, and for some, far above that intensity...

Mat: OK, yeah, I did miss that. I agree. I'm not sure why Nick linked to the Mat Thornton (tho I did enjoy it I also recognize some of my own drills in wing chun in there) when he put up the fast hands guy in the first place. The fast hands guy was not to me a good example of live drilling... tho I'm still not making any comment about his skills cos I've never met him, but there were no live drills on that site, other than maybe the chi sao at the end... but then we're back to my original point, which is that that kind of chi sao (as distinct from gor sao , sparring etc) is only semi-live.

Mat: Why do you keep asking this? Originally Terence Niehoff put 'best' in quotation marks, obviously alluding to not really thinking THE best but 'of a generally high level'.

Chisauking: I asked twiced, and still no one has given me a name yet.

Mat: Of course, there is no THE best.

Mat: Twice is 'keeping' asking. And I just answered: there is no THE best and Terence wasn't implying there was I don't think... maybe he'll clear it up for you.

As for the rest of your post, I'd be more than happy to meet up with you and chi sao, gor sao, spar, lam the crap out of each other, whatever, one day... that's more what I'm about outside of the limits of these net 'chats'. Cheers .
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Re: Fake chisau

Originally posted by chisauking
    Chisauking: you missed my point completely. Some of the FIGHTERS on this forum is repeatedly advocating that you have to fight to get better at fighting, and they pointed to the Mat Thorton clip as an example. I merely observed that lots of wing chun practitioners already practice to that intensity, and for some, far above that intensity.
    There is a thread regarding posting of video clips. Maybe you could post just ONE single clip of some quality WC being used at high intensity against a resisting opponent who is also going at high intensity... because, so far, no one has ever been able to so.

Re: Re: Fake chisau

Originally posted by Mat
    Mat: OK, yeah, I did miss that. I agree. I'm not sure why Nick linked to the Mat Thornton (tho I did enjoy it I also recognize some of my own drills in wing chun in there) when he put up the fast hands guy in the first place.
    Because im slightly contrary like that Seriously it was more to compare and contrast. I think theres a balance to be struck between so called 'alive' and 'dead' training. If you just fight all the time and dont drill you will have little or no technique and your fights will be scrappy. If you dont fight/spar against a resisting opponent you'll never be able to apply your perfect technique in a real fight. I think Mr Thortons chess analogy is a lttle off since gross motor movements, kinesthetic awareness, coordination, accuracy etc. are all things which have to be internalised through repitition (sp?). Even Boxers skip, run, shadow box, hit the speed bag, heavy bag etc. none of which involve a resisting opponent. Also In BJJ we do a lot of drilling against a non resisting opponent.

Originally posted by Mat
    The fast hands guy was not to me a good example of live drilling... tho I'm still not making any comment about his skills cos I've never met him, but there were no live drills on that site, other than maybe the chi sao at the end... but then we're back to my original point, which is that that kind of chi sao (as distinct from gor sao , sparring etc) is only semi-live.
    Unlike the others on this forum Ive seen Morton 'go at it' and like Andrew S can attest to his skill so I posted the clip with that (private) knowledge already. Its inevitable that some people (not you) will draw conclusions about the mans ability from a clip. No problem. As you point out you never really know until you have a go with someone.
    'In the woods there is always a sound...In the city aways a reflection.'

'What about the desert?'

'You dont want to go into the desert'

- Spartan

Nick,

IMO Matt Thornton isn't saying there is no benefit to "dead" training -- as you correctly point out, everyone does dead reps. He places those things as a part of "conditioning", that you are preparing your body in some way, building coordination, etc. While necessary, those "dead" drills things won't *by themselves* translate to fighting skill -- the "alive" training is what does that. His point is that without "alive" training, one will never develop significant improvements in fighting skill.

Originally posted by YoungMaster
    The fact is most people who learn WC are taught from day one to straight punch and to yield to power. So they are conditioned to engaging people who punch straight and yield, though admittedly the odd Sifu may teach consistently how to defend against hooked punches. but does anyone know more than one WC drill that involves an angled punch ? (spare me the straight punch lecture). If one does not train against a charged angled attack then its not an in-built reflex. . . . .
    http://www.wingchunkwoon.com/woodchi.asp#chi
    Lop Da with Hook Punch
    Lop Da with Low Punch
    PR
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Re: Have you got hands as fast as this guy?

Originally posted by Nick Forrer Have you got hands as fast as this guy?
    Only for about six or seven seconds every evening.
    Kill one man, or kill ten,
    it's all the same. After all, they can only hang you once.

Only for about six or seven seconds every evening.
    ROFL!
    Your lineage may vary.

not only does he hold breath and tense shoulder, he look very tense while rolling and first move to open opponent look tense. not so good, if opponent hit him while he doing fast he gone.
    Ecce nunc patiemur philosphantem nobis asinum?

what transcends the buddha and the law? Cakes.

"Practice is better than Art, because your practice will suffice without art, while the art means nothing without practice." - Hanko Doebringer, 14th century

LOL...Something’s never change around here.

First we have people complaining that having fast hands is a defect in fighting and then we have people talking about how we don't need chi-sao to develop fighting skills and that chi-sao teaches nothing useful. Wrong on all parts IMO.

The questions on fast hands, if you can move and punch/strike fast at the same time then you have something, if not you have much less but still you do have a tool at your disposal (otherwise all fighting methods in stationary places would be useless).

Chi-sao is a drill, yes, but it does have fighting applications and uses. Besides learning contact reflexes, we train chi-sao to learn footwork, forward intention, close range eyesight, short force/power, proper positioning of all parts of body in relation to opponent (not talking about single arm or double arm chi-sao necessarily here), etc.. We don't train to get hit, and training to get hit is stupid IMO. If someone out weighs you by 80+ lbs then one shot may be all he needs to cause serious damage for yourself.
    But training just chi-sao is not recommended either. One has to learn how to fight from a non-contact distance and how to bridge the gap and close in on an opponent without exposing themselves to attack and simultaneously obtaining superior positioning if possible and learn how to read their opponents movements from non-contact.

James

Originally posted by sihing
    First we have people complaining that having fast hands is a defect in fighting and then we have people talking about how we don't need chi-sao to develop fighting skills and that chi-sao teaches nothing useful. Wrong on all parts IMO.
    James,
    No one said fast hands is a defect. I can see that you haven't changed much either. The criticisms were specific to what we saw in the video, unknown factors not withstanding. Speed can be a defect if it comes at the expense of other fundamental attributes, IMO.
    'Talk is cheap because there is an excess of supply over demand'

Originally posted by Matrix
    James,
    No one said fast hands is a defect. I can see that you haven't changed much either. The criticisms were specific to what we saw in the video, unknown factors not withstanding. Speed can be a defect if it comes at the expense of other fundamental attributes, IMO.
    I can agree with you here Bill, sacrificing one attribute for another can be to ones determent. Is positioning more important than speed of punch/kick? Both are great, but I'd rather have superior skills at positioning myself in relation to the opponent than super fast hands, just due to the fact that positioning gives me more time to attack and its easier with the proper position to land those attacks.

Regarding the video, I viewed that video months ago and yeah he is fast in it , but like allot of WC out there lacks good positoning, IMO. Fighting down the middle or centerline will only leave you vulnerable to both arms if the person decides to hook, but on the blindside allows easier access for your own tools and less access for his. But its only a demo of a particular technique or attribute, and I'm sure the gentlemen demonstrating it has more tools than just that.

James

P.S. I like who I am, so why change?
    Last edited by sihing; 01-12-2005 at 10:28 PM.