Thread: Jackie Chan sidesteps child's question about qi!

Threaded View

a matter of opinion.

The explanation that kids came from mom's tummy was the answer I got. I remember feeling like it wasn't what I was asking, though I believed the baby was there. I guess I was 5 years old. I wasn't thinking, not with words anyway. I remember playing along and being shown off to adults.

At the same time, I saw pictures of storks bringing babies in fairy tale books. I didn't buy it, but something felt good about the explanation. still does. It's a different approach from the biological nuts and bolts. needs updating in whichever way the child is raised.
    I guess what struck me was the mention of tummy and storks as explanations, and given equal weight. But, thinking on that further, I hope I understand correctly that you are referring to two different kinds of education which can be combined.

I'm assuming that Jackie Chan's meeting with the youngster was very casual and brief. But, I'm sure he didn't want to get into the one question after another scenario, no matter what the age of the child. I still agree with Mr. Chan's answer.

The concept of energy is not simple. It is full of mystery. Again, there can be a nuts and bolts explanation geared to the young. Mr. Chan wasn't giving a lecture series. Hence, showing nonverbal energy might have been the way to go. And, certainly with a young child, nonverbal communication is great if you can muster it. In fact, I think it's great for any age, though the specifics of the performance change.

In fact, you don't know exactly how the child picked this up, or the entirety of what was communicated. Energy is a funny thing to communicate. I remember a long time ago when a teacher of mine used to occaasionally stand up close and in front of a student and roar ferociously for a short time, out of nowhere. That elicited giggles, fear, or a half-hearted attempt to roar back by some students. I silently observed, though I admit I made a quiet squeal the first time. I took something in from that roar which I practice to this day, generally without sound. But the significance of the entire performance gained relevance to me over the years. Simple mime with trained energy holds within it an education that words might only touch on.

I met Jackie Chan once at a book signing event. He appeared decent and very self-possessed. The child was very fortunate, imo.

Cody
    Last edited by Cody; 01-02-2005 at 02:40 PM.
    "The truth is more important than the facts." (Frank Lloyd Wright)
    "The weight of the sun doesn't keep it from rising." (Cody)