Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Has anyone tried Airborne?

cold irony

Well, if Brother Gene finds good results from ban lan gen, by TCM standards, he dosen't really have a cold but rather excess or toxic heat. Ban Lan Gen is a bitter, cold herb - if you had true internal cold, you'd want some ginger and green onions in your jook!

hope everybody's feeling fine today...

herb ox

toxic heat

You're not the first to say I'm too hot, herb ox.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Re: yenhoi

I take Airborne...I also take flitsones vitamin along with like this ultra (nasty tasting) vitium C tablet in the early morning everyday I wake up for school.

Just recently I experenced increased mucus and constant snezzing...and thus blowing my nose. But that was it...its now gone and that was all I had for the year so far.

And I really needed a sick day today too.

Originally posted by GeneChing
    I'm not sure that's the best strategy. I was really into ginseng when in grad school. I took it almost every day - chewing the root, adding it to my coffee - that was until I got some advice on it. There's a school of thought that ginseng effects are cumulative and that young, healthy people shouldn't take it regulary because they'll have nothing to use when they get older. Since I've already developed allergies to other meds such penicillin-based drugs, dit da jow, and a host of allergy meds and remedies, I now avoid ginseng completely. For me personally, it's all about variety.
    My dad takes ginsing like an insane amount.

...and raw onions....smells so bad I want to kill him sometimes.

If only there was a different way...I cant stand it at all!
    A"recovered" crack addict. "That came from being one of the Reagan-era kids when I was in middle school as part of that whole Just Say No thing. They would have people who were recovering addicts come to talk to us at school. One guy in particular came to talk to us about drugs. But it didn't sound like he thought they were that bad. He sounded more like a commercial for drugs than a warning."
    -Dave Chappelle on Tyrone Biggums

"A good male hostage negotiator can talk the pants off a nun. And a good female negotiator could be caught in bed with another man by her husband and the next moment would be standing up, putting her clothes on, acting like it was a big joke, convincing the husband that nothing happened. And after a while, maybe he wouldn't believe it, he's not stupid, but it would put some doubts in his head..."
    -CPD hostage negotiator

I use raw onion and raw garlic for a good cure for sinus probs. Clears it right up. And keeps away the Chupacabra.

h.o.

Originally posted by herb ox
    I use raw onion and raw garlic for a good cure for sinus probs. Clears it right up. And keeps away the Chupacabra.

h.o.
    Chupacabra?!

Your thinking vampries, yea?

And my dad takes it because he says when he was wrong a doctor told him he will never get sick if he does.

F*cking hell, I rather be sick than smell like sh!t and not have anyone like me.
    A"recovered" crack addict. "That came from being one of the Reagan-era kids when I was in middle school as part of that whole Just Say No thing. They would have people who were recovering addicts come to talk to us at school. One guy in particular came to talk to us about drugs. But it didn't sound like he thought they were that bad. He sounded more like a commercial for drugs than a warning."
    -Dave Chappelle on Tyrone Biggums

"A good male hostage negotiator can talk the pants off a nun. And a good female negotiator could be caught in bed with another man by her husband and the next moment would be standing up, putting her clothes on, acting like it was a big joke, convincing the husband that nothing happened. And after a while, maybe he wouldn't believe it, he's not stupid, but it would put some doubts in his head..."
    -CPD hostage negotiator

Mickey

The Gan mao ling helps me out when i feel a cold comming on.
    There was another one i would take but i forgot the name.

Could it be Yin Chao?

I find it to be one of the best for my constitution. Little green pills...

Airborne, Yin Qiao, Ban Lan Gen, Cold causing illness

My mom takes Airborne, the ingredients look good: jing jie, fang feng, ban lan gen, zinc, vitamin c and others.

When I feel a cold coming on I take Pine Mountain brand Yin Qiao San which includes Ban Lan Gen and Chuan Xin Lian. I also take extra Zinc and Vitamin C. Works great.

Herb Ox: while Ban Lan Gen and Chuan Xin Lian traditionally are in the toxic heat category, they have a clear anti-viral effect. I think combining them with Yin Qiao is great to stop the progression of a viral infection. If it is cold out and you have more chills and stiffness, ginger tea is great to dispel the constricting cold.

Also, many believe that in this day in age, and in warmer climates, most people don't expereince a true wind-cold invasion but either have wind-heat or a wind-cold that transforms into wind-heat. By that logic, the heat clearing herbs would be more appropriate.

I agree with the person who posted that exposure to cold or rain can compromise the immune system and allow a virus to invade. It doesn't happen to everybody. Research has shown that cold constricts blood vessels and decreases circulation; this is why people with heart conditions are told to avoid the cold weather. By the same logic, cold restricts circulation at the exterior of the body and can result in chills, stiffness, headache, and neck pain.
    If cold rain is falling it could have a similar effect. Cold and rain are not viruses but they shouldn't be discarded because they can be a culprit to disease.

fanzi

excellent info... thanks! I agree with you on the wind-heat issue, especially given the common American diet, which tends to make my body run a bit 'warmer' than I think is optimum.

Back on track, one of my students came by last night with some Airborne, as I was complaining of coming down with a cold. I took 2 doses over 3 hours along with 2 solid doses of Yin Qiao taken with Xiaosheng wine. Note to self: feeling MUUUCH better today!

looks like either Airborne + Yin Qiao is the secret combo or maybe the placebo effect is substantially stronger when you take more than one remedy at a time

In any case, I believe my 'feeling under the weather' largely due to my poor diet these past few days travelling on road and working, not eating properly - gonna get me a proper lunch in a few minutes here... that'll set me on a better track.

peace

herb ox