Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Jackie Chan's NEW POLICE STORY

doug

You forget that Jackie was trained for peking opera first, so he can act and sing. Same with Sammo Hung. He turns in a great performance in Heart of the Dragon and Crime Story, but most people don't think of them as actors with years of classical acting training from childhood.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Re: doug

Originally posted by GeneChing
    You forget that Jackie was trained for peking opera first, so he can act and sing. Same with Sammo Hung. He turns in a great performance in Heart of the Dragon and Crime Story, but most people don't think of them as actors with years of classical acting training from childhood.
    To be somewhat random I read I think from one of your publications that his dad was a spy.

What is up with that? I never knew that and you got me all intrested reading that...
    A"recovered" crack addict. "That came from being one of the Reagan-era kids when I was in middle school as part of that whole Just Say No thing. They would have people who were recovering addicts come to talk to us at school. One guy in particular came to talk to us about drugs. But it didn't sound like he thought they were that bad. He sounded more like a commercial for drugs than a warning."
    -Dave Chappelle on Tyrone Biggums

"A good male hostage negotiator can talk the pants off a nun. And a good female negotiator could be caught in bed with another man by her husband and the next moment would be standing up, putting her clothes on, acting like it was a big joke, convincing the husband that nothing happened. And after a while, maybe he wouldn't believe it, he's not stupid, but it would put some doubts in his head..."
    -CPD hostage negotiator

Traces of the Dragon

That article was in the news section of our Sep Oct 2004 issue - it was a short piece I did after meeting Jackie in SF for a benefit. Traces of the Dragon is a documentary on Jackie's life and family. He only shows it at benefits - the SF showing was for Self Help for the Elderly, an event that was supported by our non-profit branch, the Tiger Claw Foundation (you'll find it listed in the events section). Jackie faced a lot of hardship as a child. His family was broken up. His mom survived the rape of nanking. His dad was involved in a lot of political turmoil. I highly recommend that documentary too, but Jackie only allows it to be shown at charity events. Jackie has given millions to charity. In my article, I talk about the huge charity concert he did in Vegas for his birthday.

There's a lot to Jackie Chan, a lot more than most people give him credit for. I think that's another reason why I support this movie so much. Despite being more violent than the typical Jackie Chan film, it has a lot of heart. The ending contains a powerful moral - true wude - and I find that very refreshing.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Re: Traces of the Dragon

That article was in the news section of our Sep Oct 2004 issue - it was a short piece I did after meeting Jackie in SF for a benefit. Traces of the Dragon is a documentary on Jackie's life and family. He only shows it at benefits - the SF showing was for Self Help for the Elderly, an event that was supported by our non-profit branch, the Tiger Claw Foundation (you'll find it listed in the events section). Jackie faced a lot of hardship as a child. His family was broken up. His mom survived the rape of nanking. His dad was involved in a lot of political turmoil. I highly recommend that documentary too, but Jackie only allows it to be shown at charity events. Jackie has given millions to charity. In my article, I talk about the huge charity concert he did in Vegas for his birthday.

There's a lot to Jackie Chan, a lot more than most people give him credit for. I think that's another reason why I support this movie so much. Despite being more violent than the typical Jackie Chan film, it has a lot of heart. The ending contains a powerful moral - true wude - and I find that very refreshing.
    Wait, Traces of the Dragon is the movie that is befiting elderly?

hmmm...

I saw this book called "I AM Jackie Chan" Just looked at the pictures, and for some reason he put one of him in drag.
    A"recovered" crack addict. "That came from being one of the Reagan-era kids when I was in middle school as part of that whole Just Say No thing. They would have people who were recovering addicts come to talk to us at school. One guy in particular came to talk to us about drugs. But it didn't sound like he thought they were that bad. He sounded more like a commercial for drugs than a warning."
    -Dave Chappelle on Tyrone Biggums

"A good male hostage negotiator can talk the pants off a nun. And a good female negotiator could be caught in bed with another man by her husband and the next moment would be standing up, putting her clothes on, acting like it was a big joke, convincing the husband that nothing happened. And after a while, maybe he wouldn't believe it, he's not stupid, but it would put some doubts in his head..."
    -CPD hostage negotiator

Re: doug

Same with Sammo Hung. He turns in a great performance in Heart of the Dragon
    oh, memories. that was a good movie. I am not sure if bejing opera training translate into acting directly. The make-up/mask of the opera forces exaggeration of facial expression to communicate emotion. In films, subtle expression are more effective.

Get New Police Story Now

Word is that the rights for Jackie Chan's NEW POLICE STORY have just been acquired by Harvey Weinstein - that's right - the same Harvey Weinstein of MiramAXE. If you want to see the original, uncut and undubbed, this might be your last chance...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Glad I got mine, and have watched it several times.. I like it, alot...

I hope they don't to to this what they did to the subtitles on Hero...
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

Thumbs down Rented Jackie Chan's NEW Police Story this weekend.

Not good.

Not good at all.

In fact, very bad.
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

y

y is it bad ?
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

Quote Originally Posted by golden arhat View Post
    y is it bad ?
    Well, Jackie is really good at his usual stuff. But there's not enough of it.

Only a handful of actual fights.

No cool car chase scenes

Jackie attempts to act like a broken man, alcoholic and comes off really bad.

Slow pace.

It's just bad.

It hurts me to write this because I'm a big Jackie Chan fan.

Rent it if you must but don't get your hopes up.
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

can he actually play any other role besides a comedic one ?lol

I loved the New Police Story. I was surprised how it was a 'real' movie. Jackie in a totally diffrerent role was really cool. I get tired of him just being stupid every movie.

This is coming from someone who watches this stuff just for the fights also. While the action wasn't that great cause Jackie can't get away from that wire crap, I still really liked the movie.
    "For someone who's a Shaolin monk, your kung fu's really lousy!"
    "What, you're dead? You die easy!"
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    “I don’t usually smoke this brand, but I’ll do it for you.”
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!
    "I regard hardships as part of my training. I don't need to relax."

Blog Entries
    I didn't care for the film either. I am a huge Jackie Chan fan. He needs to do another Dragons Forever type of movie.

The 10 Elements of Choy Lay Fut:
    Kum, Na, Gwa, Sau, Chop, Pow, Kup, Biu, Ding, Jong

The 13 Principles of Taijiquan:
    Ward Off, Roll Back, Press, Push, Pluck, Elbow, Shoulder, Split, Forward, Back, Left, Right, Central Equilibrium

And it doesn't hurt to practice stuff from:
    Mounts, Guards, and Side Mounts!

Austin Kung-Fu Academy

FIrst of all, let me say that Dragon's Forever is one of the best movies ever. Great fights all the way through and a finale that no one could possibly be dissapointed about. Yuen Biao vs. Billy Chow, Jackie vs. Yuen Wah, Jackie vs. Benny...

With that being said, I actually liked Jackie's New Police Story equally as an overall movie. But like I said, the wires really bother me.
    "For someone who's a Shaolin monk, your kung fu's really lousy!"
    "What, you're dead? You die easy!"
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    “I don’t usually smoke this brand, but I’ll do it for you.”
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!
    "I regard hardships as part of my training. I don't need to relax."

Talking rush hour

easily his finest work with legitamite acting, good story ,great comedy
    it might sound like sacrilige but its my favourite