Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: IronFist's standing post qigong experiment

Nexus Guest

Answering Your Questions

Glad my advice could be of some assistance. Hopefully you are following your instincts and doing what you think is best and feels best for your body.

"Is there a particular reason to begin with wuji?"

I would have to say yes, but this is due to the way that I have been taught. Basically the answer is rather simple which is wuji is relaxed and a non-demanding posture, allowing you to comfortably settle into doing the qi gong and the letting the energy flow naturally. It is also considered a neutral position as any qi gong posture can comfortably stem from the wuji posture. An example would be embracing the one, as you will bring the arms upwards, along the sides of the body, leading with the wrists, and when at chest level, turn them so the fingers face eachother. With practice this becomes very smooth and comfortable, and you let your body do it when it wants to.

"I begin with Embracing the One."
    That is indeed the first posture I go to after wuji. The reason is basically that I am able to settle into qi gong with wuji, so when I do embracing the one, im gaining the full benefit of it and the qi is already beginning to circulate more freely prior to doing it so its more relaxing.

"One more question, if I work out to the point of muscle soreness the next day, can I still practice qigong if my muscles are sore?"

The muscles that are getting sore are not standard muscles as I have said before. In knowing this, you will begin to see after time that these muscles are posture muscles and do not require the same time for healing. After a good nights rest, you will be good enough to practice qi gong the following day. In the beginning, it is not uncommon to experience sore muscles, but I must recommend that you do not go until you are so sore you cannot continue doing qi gong. Usually I like to go to a point where I know I could go a few more minutes, or in your case maybe 30 more seconds, and then I move onto the next posture, and closing the qi gong with wuji.
    Usually when I finish Qi Gong I feel energized and more relaxed.

So in short terms, practice every day, try not to miss a day, make time to practice or if you feel as if you don't have time, make time to practice. You will become more comfortable doing your qi gong wherever you are if necessary, much as a religiously devoted person is comfortable doing prayers or whatnot wherever they are even if people are watching.

- Nexus

<font size="1">"Time, space, the whole universe - just an illusion! Often said, philosophically verifiable, even scientifically explainable. It's the <font color="blue">'just'</font> which makes the honest mind go crazy and the <font color="blue">ego</font> go berserk." - Hans Taeger</font>

IronFist Guest
    The muscles that are getting sore are not standard muscles as I have said before. In knowing this, you will begin to see after time that these muscles are posture muscles and do not require the same time for healing. After a good nights rest, you will be good enough to practice qi gong the following day.

Nexus, oops, I think I phrased my question wrong. What I meant was, if I work out hard in the gym and get those muscles sore, can I still do qigong. Not if I'm sore from qigong. I assume the answer is yes, I can still do qigong, but I figured I'd ask you anway.

Hmm, I think I might change the postures/order that I do, or maybe I will just begin with wuji. We'll see, once I get pics posted.

Thanks again,

Iron

Nexus Guest
    The answer to your question is yes, you can practice qi gong every day even if you are sore from a muscle workout.

- Nexus

<font size="1">"Time, space, the whole universe - just an illusion! Often said, philosophically verifiable, even scientifically explainable. It's the <font color="blue">'just'</font> which makes the honest mind go crazy and the <font color="blue">ego</font> go berserk." - Hans Taeger</font>

Repulsive Monkey Guest

HHHhhmm

Well, thats it you see, if you're doing muscle work outs and Qi-Gong you MAY (not necessarily WILL) end getting no where what so ever. Qi-gong requires relaxation and musclular tensions are what you are trying to release with Qi Gong, so you may actually be retarding your Qi Gong practice with your Muscular work outs.

Repulsive Monkey Guest

Oh Yes....

I know this sounds like a bad news dy as far as advice goes, but the simple plain truth is, NEVER EVER DO QIGONG FROM A BOOK. You really need a good teacher if you don't want to potentially harm yourself. You can't correct yourself onyour own or from the other angle you can't advance yourself on your own. You really do need someone in the room at the same time for corrections. Corrections over the net are no good if you gain internal injuries to be honest, we can't know for sure how you've been moving your Qi, and how to rebalance it. My best advice would sincerely be to find a teacher so as to save yourself from potential harm.