Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HOw many times do u kick per day ?

Originally posted by _William_
    Maybe its a good idea to do a few months weight training and light plyometric drills to ensure joint strength, before even beginning kicking. After all when your kicking there is a lot of force coming back at your knees and hips.

Any thoughts on this?
    There's also the chance that your weight training could cause you to develop more strength than you know what to do with, and then when you start air-kicking you might hurt yourself.

As for plyometrics, they're safer if you already have a solid base of strength built up. I think I read somewhere not to do leg plyometrics, for example, until you can squat at least 150% of your bodyweight. And by definition, I'm pretty sure there's no such thing as "light" plyometrics.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Originally posted by morbicid
    he was obviously just trying to rile everyone up...which is fine. i wont hold that against him if he's starved for some attention.

seriously i would have liked to hear an opposing opinion. unfortunately he didnt have anything intelligent to say after simply knocking down other peoples training.

so how about it.... does anyone have a better training solution that's more efficient than pure repetition ?
    A- Xebby don't usually try to rile anyone up unless they start it. That's honesltly the way he talks.

B- Practice don't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect. 700 crappy kicks is no where near as good as 50 good ones, and probably worse.

C- This is how I train my kicks. Not sure if you will exept it as opposing, but it is...

* Warm up hips and legs. This takes about 15 minutes and is different from my basic workout warm-up.

* 8 count kicking exersize (to work basic kicks)

* 8 count kicking exersize against a metal pole (to work shin and foot conditioning)

* finish with a round of all jump and spin kicks.

The first two, I usually do 3 sets of ten. The last one I run through each kick in logical order and do as many as I need to to get each right, then move on to the next.

I also do 2-3 sessions of cardio kick boxing per week, as time permits.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

Oh yeah! Of course I also do some trethcing and warm up.First I:

Run around the room doing different running exercises for about 5 minutes.

Stretch and warm up my neck, shoulders, arms, wrists, waist for about another 5 minutes

And then Spend at least 14 minutes to make a 180 degree side leg openning and 180 degree front leg opening.

And then Spend at least 14 minutes to make a 180 degree side leg openning and 180 degree front leg opening.
    Not so much time on seated splits, and add several minutes doing side to side squats, bounce squats, ect as well as some basic tai chi hip stretches. I find this loosens my hips very well.
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

never enough and certianly not as much as I should be doing. i know it is something i hate, so i should practice it more than i do. seeing how much people here do, i need to kick it up a notch.
    My school: http://pailumwarrior.com/

the theme here is quality over quantity people....

"better to reside in hell knowing the truth than to be blissfully ignorant in heaven."

"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."- Doug Adams

I dare you to make less sense!

"Freeze?! You know if i drop the tooth fairy i'm only gettin' started mother****er!"

"It's called the American dream because you have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin

Smile

Originally posted by IronFist
    There's also the chance that your weight training could cause you to develop more strength than you know what to do with, and then when you start air-kicking you might hurt yourself.

As for plyometrics, they're safer if you already have a solid base of strength built up. I think I read somewhere not to do leg plyometrics, for example, until you can squat at least 150% of your bodyweight. And by definition, I'm pretty sure there's no such thing as "light" plyometrics.
    By "light" plyometrics, I meant drills like jump rope on two feet or one, and various skips and hops. Children do these all the time without harm. I think these are definitely "light" compared with, for example depth jumps.

However I am definitely no expert, so I will defer to you on this matter.

the main problem i've had over the years with repetitious kicking is some pretty bad hamstring pulls. i haven't had that problem recently since i've started doing them on the heavy bag.

the hamstring problem has now been replaced by some really bad stinging on my feet, toward the end of the workout, from slapping them agains the bag so many times. I'm considering buying some light-weight martial arts type shoes.

I'm considering buying some light-weight martial arts type shoes.
    Wrestling shoes work great, are less likely to fly off and fit some-thing/one when you kick hard, and last a bit longer, IMO. also give better ankle support.