Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Documentary: "CHOKE"

Well I postulate that you guys forget what I said about WC & BJJ similarities cause it's obvious that your not getting it....
    James, James, I've been doing WC as long as you, I've been doing BJJ 3-4 sessions a week since 1999 while you've watched a few vids.

I've posted at length on this subject before, with some resistance and argument from you IIRC. Now you've watched Rickson in action on video (you even asked me "Rickson who?" once, LOL), and you've had a minor epiphany and selflessly deign to enlighten us ignoroids... perhaps I should forget it, as you suggest ... except I heard it all before back in 1999 ...

You obviously know much more about the similarities and differences than me, from your wealth of experience in both styles. Please tell me some more about what I'm not getting
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

must say i like the idea of bjj:a smaller guy having a decent style to look after himself with.helio mentions that in the gracie book.but,when ive seen bjj in action,im reminded of scrappy judo ne waza.

Russ.

No epiphany Andrew, just a observation. I have respected the GJJ art since I first saw the UFC way back when, as Royce was the only guy I have seen in any of those that actually used technique to win, and not relying on physical attributes as much as the others, that's all.

James

when ive seen bjj in action,im reminded of scrappy judo ne waza
    Sure, just like a lot of people say when they see "Wing Chun in action" it looks like crap kickboxing. Some people just don't want to see, huh?

James, you ought to check out the Royce/Sakuraba fight. You'll see Royce's technique beaten by a better technician on the day.

Royce himself said Rickson is the far better technician. You really should look at the Rickson/Royler demo, so should you, captain.

And if you REALLY want to see a small grappler beat a big dude with technique, download Genki Sudo vs Butterbean. Though IMO that didn't really stretch Genki. Noriega vs Bob Sapp is a similar example.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti

i don't care much for the title "choke";bit violent.however,i am thinking of shortening the arms on my judo gi to the elbow.taking the pants [trousers] to just under my knees.a more old school look that allows for more movement.Russ.

i don't care much for the title "choke";bit violent.
    so you haven't seen "Kill Bill" or "Bloodsport", I take it?

What's more violent; choking someone out to unconsciousness with little if any accumulative damage, or the supposed massive head trauma and resulting concussion, punch drunkenness, etc or alleged wholesale systemic disruption caused by WC's "deadly pressure point attacks"?

As for your fashion ideas, perhaps the style will catch on; the 1970s will attest that sillier ideas have.

Practically, though, the full sleeves and pants on the Jiu Jitsu gi promote skill by gving your partner easy handles by which to grab and control you, thus requiring you to have good defence. It is meant to provide the realism of fighting a clothed opponent (which is more likely in the places *I* frequent) without going through a T shirt or two every session. One's own gi can also be used to control and subdue an opponent.

would it work in a kangaroo boxing event,though?that's the real question!skippy vs the world!

Russ.