Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Challenged by TKD/JKD

Re: Re: Re: Challenged by TKD/JKD

Originally posted by Apostol
    Yes, I will know exactly what I'm doing. He's not just a TKD Mcdojo kid though, he "studies" other martial arts. Probably doesn't really do the techniques correctly, however. I want to focus on beating him with striking. I know as a fact I can beat him if I just take him down, but that would be way too easy.
    Then just keep that in reserve. Try to use your new art to beat him. If that doesn't work and you start to take punishment, take him down, and throw a Kimura on him.

yeah man if you 7 years of grappling man
    kick his ass witha... lock

i DISAGREE with knifefighter though, i think using a Kimura would be very silly
    i recomend using an inverted americana
    Volcano has removed himself from this realm
    Account is hijacked, email is fake, password is unrememberable
    No im not drunk or sad

"cos im the TAXMAN!!
    yeah im the TAXMAAAN!!"

Hi first the match is a bad idea. There are always thousands of guys wanting a challenge. If you win or lose against this guy it doesn't prove much but is maybe just a stepping stone to some future confidence.

I am not an Emin Boztepe student or anything but he made a tape dealing with kickers which I think is pretty good. I had a friend who was a very fast and tall 4th degree Hapkido student. Emin was able to shut him down no matter what kick he used. He only used proper distancing and timing to rush in and knock him down. The tape explains this.

What I did to a Taekwondo guy was to kick his kicking leg as soon as he kicked. That worked ok. Against some other kickers I crept up close the the kicking range then then played inch games and rushed in as soon as a kick finished.

To show the difficulty though, we had a student who learned 15 years of martial arts in Hong Kong including Hung style, Preying Mantis, Tai Chi etc. Then he learned Wing Chun for three years and was easily the best student. He joined a TaeKwonDo club with a state champion. He said for 6 months he could not find the proper distancing and timing to get in nor could he read the signals of what kick was coming. But after this amount of time he got used to the kicks and then used kick vs kick to get in and then demolished all of them using his Wing Chun and whatever hands.

So you might also take up some TaeKwonDo somewhere to just get used to their kicks. If you want to beat TaeKwonDo, boxing , grappling or something you are not familiar with, go and study it for awhile. But proper distancing and timing is very important. Don't look at it like he learned TaeKwonDo and you learned this or that. Think of the proverbial street fighter who just picks the right moment and rushes in. That's the kickers nightmare. In the Ultimate fights there are few fighters who get knocked out with a kick when they rush in.

When you spar play first to get used to the timing. Don't just go in when the action looks too fast. Once Mohamed Ali took 13 rounds to beat some second rate boxer because the guy had an awkward fighting style. So even though Mohamed Ali was the world champ he still didn't blindly go in and try for a knockout the first round.

You can use a kick yourself to get in. Maybe he is good at kicking but poor at defending against kicks himself. Kick low and fast only.
    Kick his support leg. Don't use your hands to block any kicks. Move. Watch that show Bruce Lee vs Chuck Norris where they fight in the coliseum.

My background is Wrestling, Karate, Hung style, Tai Chi, Wing Chun and Escrima.
    Victoria, British Columbia, Wing Chun

Hi,

When are you going to fight this guy?
    Regards,
    Josh

Originally posted by Josh Vogel
    Hi,

When are you going to fight this guy?
    Regards,
    Josh
    It happened. He lost. There is a huge thread on it on Bullshido that I started. You bring it here, I'll delete it.

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...threadid=14564
    I have a signature.

Hi,

Whoa! Don't worry, I won't bring anything here except my dashing good looks and rapier like wit, my friend.

Josh

Works for me. I just don't need this spilling over onto this board. I figured Bullshido would wanna read it more since the people who fought Alex are screaming there TKD defeated a grappler with 7 years experience, submission fighter, JiuJitsu guy, etc. I just don't want Bruce Kim coming here and acting up.
    I have a signature.