Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Whats so special 'bout "IRON MONKEY" & "FIST of LEGEND"

yes..occasionally..........

..bruce lee WAS mentioned and Jackie not...........

but check out house of knives if you can get it.

there's another local gongfu flick getting praise..as soon as I remember the name, I'll let you all know :P

it's ??? 20003

later

bl

Blog Entries
    tangent:

i talked to this wing chun guy who saw fist of legend BEFORE chinese connection, and said he liked FOL better. i considered this blasphemous. but is this the consensus? am i getting that old and cynical?

The 10 Elements of Choy Lay Fut:
    Kum, Na, Gwa, Sau, Chop, Pow, Kup, Biu, Ding, Jong

The 13 Principles of Taijiquan:
    Ward Off, Roll Back, Press, Push, Pluck, Elbow, Shoulder, Split, Forward, Back, Left, Right, Central Equilibrium

And it doesn't hurt to practice stuff from:
    Mounts, Guards, and Side Mounts!

Austin Kung-Fu Academy

No way! I loved The Chinese Connection, it beats FOL any day.

I haven't seen either in a good long while, but I'd hate to have to choose.

I'd take either of them over "Legend of a Fighter" though, despite liking that movie a lot - Yaskuake Kurata's in that version, too, as the main badass, and it has some other twists, too. Plus Kar Yan Leung as the hero - always a treat.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

Originally posted by yutyeesam
    am i getting that old and cynical?
    yes, you are.

I grew up with Jackie Chan movies. First time I saw a Bruce Lee flick, I said, "wtf? One punch and the guy falls? Where's the fight?" I read that his bad-assness was revolutionary for its time. I'll admit nobody can shriek like him, when Donnie Yen tried that in his Fist of Fury tv show, he looked stupid.

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by cho
    yes, you are.

I grew up with Jackie Chan movies. First time I saw a Bruce Lee flick, I said, "wtf? One punch and the guy falls? Where's the fight?" I read that his bad-assness was revolutionary for its time. I'll admit nobody can shriek like him, when Donnie Yen tried that in his Fist of Fury tv show, he looked stupid.
    Yeah, I hear you. When I got exposed to Jackie Chan after Bruce Lee, I was totally wowed, and almost completely forgot about Bruce.

Although, the Chuck Norris vs. Bruce Lee fight is really really awesome. And I don't know how many martial arts movie stars can leave "signatures" with their movements and expression, the way Bruce does.

And quite frankly, I'm feeling a bit of a return to the Bruce Lee style, because all the fast strike block sequences looks little more than fanciful paddy-cakes. I'm starting to understand that "honest expression" stuff he kept talking about (from the standpoint of film). Style and attitude makes so much of a difference, I'm seeing. Like, that trap-backfist thing he does- it's got his name all over it....or when doing a sliding sidekick. Quality over quantity.

ANd yeah, man, I don't know what got into Donnie Yen for his Fist of FUry TV show! My biggest beef with that was the fast forwarded fight scenes! He's a great martial artist- he doesn't need to be undercranked! It totally ruined the fight scenes for me.

The 10 Elements of Choy Lay Fut:
    Kum, Na, Gwa, Sau, Chop, Pow, Kup, Biu, Ding, Jong

The 13 Principles of Taijiquan:
    Ward Off, Roll Back, Press, Push, Pluck, Elbow, Shoulder, Split, Forward, Back, Left, Right, Central Equilibrium

And it doesn't hurt to practice stuff from:
    Mounts, Guards, and Side Mounts!

Austin Kung-Fu Academy

Jet Li studied at Shaolin
    No, he didn't.

yes he did...please see Genes' article from kfm shaolin special 2003

Which article? I've got the thing in front of me. So far the only mention I see of Jet Li and Shaolin is a brief mention of his movie.

crack is wack

Originally posted by Brad
    Which article? I've got the thing in front of me. So far the only mention I see of Jet Li and Shaolin is a brief mention of his movie.
    there's an article about ...whaty is his name???'s school ...tagou shaolin ma academy that goes something like.and as we all know, its' most famous graduate.jet li.......blah blah blah...if you know tagou, it's three steps and a quik jog from the temple and is the most famous and highly reputed school in the world for teaching of shaolin gongfu............

get back to us..........

Nope, no mention of Jet Li in that article. There's an article on the next page, also by Gene Ching, about "Shaolin's most famous pop star" Shi Xiaolong(the little monk movie star kid). Only mention of Jet Li I see in the magazine is concerning his filming of Shaolin Temple jumpstarting the whole Shaolin kungfu craze in the area. I think you're getting a few different articles in the magazine mixed up. Jet Li studying in Taguo would make no sense... no way he did it. The place wasn't built until '78(acording to Genes article). He was competing for the Beijing wushu team, then going right off to film Shaolin Temple. He was there for two years, but he also says:

"The best part about making that movie was...that we didn't have to train anymore! Good-bye to 8 hours a day of mandatory drills and practice. Compared to what we'd gone through for the past few years, making a movie was a breeze! Even though we were waking up at 5 or 6 to get to the set, and shooting from 8 until sunset, this was nothing. This was relaxing. Didn't we have to fight all day? Sure, but this was nowhere near as tiring as wushu class. In fact, after we finished the day's shoot, we'd go out again and play soccer or basketball. There must have been about 30-40 of us young people. It was like we had too much energy."

http://jetli.com/jetli/jet/jet_film_01.php?bw=high