On your two comments above, sure there was foul play in duels. There still is today. I'll cite the example of Tyson biting off an ear. Should all boxers now train to defend their ears from biting attacks because one guy cheated? As if boxing isn't hard enough already. The point here is that you are trying to put a martial arts lens on an olympic sport - the same is done for boxing and wrestling - and if you have any understanding of the real sport, you'd see why that doesn't really work. It's like looking at modern mass fishing techniques to hunter/gatherer fishing. Modern times have changed it all.

On the second one, on Go, firstly, decafyeti got it. But if your fixated on Go, I'll gladly change the metaphor. Imagine playing go with land mines (sorry for the typo on 'land mines' in my earlier post). Eventually you could turn that into risk too. I still think chess is a better metaphor because of the old fencing/physical chess saying - that would be something I would think a 'historical' fencer would be up on, famous sayings on fencing from history. Your whole point about someone being good at chess and not smart, is downright silly. The same is true for all professional competitors and athletes. Someone might be good at bridge and none-too-bright at filling out tax forms. But the point is that at least they acheived something. The 'historical' fencers haven't really acheived anything. So not only can they be none-too-bright, they can be bad fencers too.