I have always been of the opinion that Western Boxing, Kickboxing, Muay Thai and Tae Kwon Do were "youngsters sports" until I had a long talk with a TKD man whilst visiting friends a couple of weeks ago.

By "youngsters sports" I mean that once you've passed your physical prime, you deteriorate, can't keep up etc. Then, like in any normal sport, you can become a manager or a trainer, training new students who can basically whip your ass.

Talking to this guy, though changed that: he knows about TKD masters in their late years kicking the asses of the younger guys. He really believed he had long term growth within the style and enthused about it like I do my kungfu. His son is following in his father's footsteps, too.

In discussing aspects of our styles, he readily admitted that his was more sport oriented and he would definitely be worried about taking on a CMA in the street or even sparring. Kungfu "grabs" was the first thing he mentioned in this context - he fights with clenched fists. He was also seriously doubtful that his kicks would "cut the mustard".

On every aspect of fighting, the kungfu had more to offer and a corresponding lengthening of learning time requirements. He did say though, that as you get older with TKD, subtle moves and adjustments which come from experience make the fighter increasingly versatile and able. Fair comment that obviously applies to kungfu, too.

It was a good talk and I, for one, went away with a greater respect of the other's style.

The powers of Kung Fu never fail!
-- Hong Kong Phooey