Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OT what is wrong with American courts?

bs is right, but we have a greater problem:

whether or not these stories are true isn't at issue, because it's easy to call bull****. the problem lies in the fact that we wouldn't be all that surprised if a jury was dumb enough to award in such a way.

as the expression goes, do you want to trust your fate to 12 people who couldn't get out of jury duty?
    " i wonder how many people take their post bone marrow transplant antibiotics with amberbock" -- GDA

Well, a few of us here were surprised. I think that alot of people are being swayed by propaganda and television. I have been in courts several times and they were very critical, intense affairs and no one was given much latitude. If anything like those cases every truly occured it would be a tragic fluke that would be appealed and summarily rejected.
    "If you and I agree all the time, then one of us is unnecessary."

It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument.
    - William G. McAdoo

Against stupidity, even the Gods contend in vain...

Originally posted by MasterKiller
    With all the sperm our soldiers pumped into your women during WWI and WWII, your wrists should spill American crude as well.
    psssst, american soldiers never touched our soil .. but yeah, sure
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

I think a lot of jurors go out of their way to award outrageous money settlements because it makes them feel like they are sticking it to the man.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

psssst, american soldiers never touched our soil .. but yeah, sure
    Naw I distinctly remembering my grandfather's memoirs saying he, "peed out the bomb-bay doors when he was flying over Sweden," in a flying fortress.

- William G. McAdoo

he was just grumpy coz none of our women wanted to touch his wee wee. I'm sure your ugly-ness runs in the family, nothing to be ashamed of really
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

Now since American soldiers never set foot in Sweden and apparently saw his "wee wee" as you put it... that means they saw it swing by as he flew by at 30,000 feet. I'd say thats a helluva compliment, ugly or not.

- William G. McAdoo

lol

It's time once again to review the winners of the annual "Stella Awards". The Stella's are named after 81-year-old Stella Liebeck who spilled coffee on herself and successfully sued McDonalds.
    You do realize that at the time, McDonald's heated their coffee to nearly 180 degrees (fahrenheit, that's about HOT in Celcius), and that the Shriner's hospitals, which handle burn victims, had sent them several letters requesting that they please turn down the heat to 160, which is plenty hot, but has significantly less chance of causing burns? It takes an assload of heat to raise and lower the temperature of water and that 20 degree difference would likely have kept her from serious injury.

Further, she suffered 2nd and 3rd degree burns as a result of the spillage, to her groin and inner legs, had to undergo several surgeries to correct it.

Yeah, she spilled the coffee, but it was foreseeable, w/respect to McDonalds, that somebody would spill their coffee in their lap. McDonalds was therefore negligent. The simple act of turning down the heat would have saved her significant surgery time, recovery, pain, etc. That's all it would have taken. It's not like she climbed over a fence, broke into McDonald's and poured coffee on her head.

This is the most cited "frivolous" suit on the internet, and most people don't even know the facts.

As far as what's wrong with our justice system? Nothing. We have so many lawyers and cases for one beautiful, glorious reason - everybody feels they have access to the U.S. court system. The fact that even the imprisoned, poor and stupid can be heard is a virtue, not a bad thing.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

Originally posted by Radhnoti

I'd love to hear Judge Pen's opinion on this stuff...
    MP you're right. In one of the McDonald's coffee spill cases (it is my understanding that there were more than one), the manager of that McDonalds intentionally turned the heat up on the coffee. His reasoning: He was annoyed at some old timers that hung out there every morning. One of the ladies lost all sexual function due to the burns in her private area. How much is an orgasm worth fellows?

Jury Nullification is a trikey issue with a court. While juries are free to ignore the law, there is a debate as to whether attorney's (as both officers of the court and as an advocate of their client) can argue that a jury do so. Actually a good illustration of jury nullification is the movie "A Time To Kill." Not a great movie, but that's what the jury had to do to exonorate Sam Jackson's character. A strict interpretation of the law meant he was guilty of murder no matter how morally justified he was at the time he committed the act.

Also the British Rule vs. The American Rule regarding payment of litigation. It sounds appealling. Actually most court's civil prcedure rules allow for this on a limited basis with the repayment of discretionary costs to the victor of a lawsuit. this does not include attorney's fees and that's where the real rub in this debate lies. The American Rule encourages people of limited means to bring litigation without fear of paying the fees of the corporate lawyers hired to defend company X. This is seen as a progressive system that allows access to the courts by the poor. It also can encourage frivilous lawsuits but the risk of that is then born by the party that is most able to afford the risk: the rich company.

The founders of our justice system felt that the British Rule would discourage people from bringing valid lawsuits for the risk of paying costs on a suit that might be valid; however, one that they ultimately lost (it does happen people win that shouldn't and people lose that shouldn't too). In thier estimation, it was better to encourage them to use the courts (and, in theory cut down on self-help justice and crime that the poor may be more inclined to engage in) then to make everyone pay as they go. My thinking is that each state could decide this for its own, but I'm not aware of any state that allows the British Rule across the board in its litigation.

And, yes Rad, most lawyers agree with the American rule for the job security it provides!
    Last edited by Judge Pen; 04-30-2004 at 01:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

The American Rule encourages people of limited means to bring litigation without fear of paying the fees of the corporate lawyers hired to defend company X. This is seen as a progressive system that allows access to the courts by the poor. It also can encourage frivilous lawsuits but the risk of that is then born by the party that is most able to afford the risk: the rich company.
    Bingo. Access anyone....anyone?

I'll take frivolous lawsuits as the price of access.

MP you're right. In one of the McDonald's coffee spill cases (it is my understanding that there were more than one), the manager of that McDonalds intentionally turned the heat up on the coffee. His reasoning: He was annoyed at some old timers that hung out there every morning. One of the ladies lost all sexual function due to the burns in her private area.
    Hmmm... the facts as I am aware of them is that official company policy was 180. Lemme check.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

Didn't know that about the McD case. Shines a different light on it.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

Judge Pen - "And, yes Rad, most lawyers agree with the American rule for the job security it provides!"

I KNEW IT!

...lawyers...

Keep it simple, stupid.

True, it wasnt American but Nazi sperm pumped into Swedish women

Just a taste:http://www.coronetbooks.com/books/swed0136.htm

Ah, the neutral Swedes! ***** envy at its worst. Unable to defend yourself you decide to bend over for the Nazis.

When there is America bashing to be done, it always seems the Swedes are first in line.

Arsehole
    When an American bleeds, its blood red. The same blood that was shed so your sorry ass can live in freedom. The same bood that was shed to remove the Nazis from your soil. The same blood that was shed by real men willing to die to protect their families and way of life.

Do you enjoy your life in Sweden? How does it feel to know that you and yours had nothing to do with it.