Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grip training advice please...

Nah, my hands are small and that was just an idea of where your training can go. I can barely get four to clear the floor but have no problem with two 25's.

I understand about size not determining strength, that wasn't what I was trying to say.
    With the biceps, say, you have a large muscle to pull the weight up, but with your hand, you've only got a ton of little muscles that will not respond to the load in the same manner. They are many and so have more connective tissues which will need to be strengthened.
    I also know that tendons don't move the muscle, however, all the world's strongest men, with the biggest squat, the biggest deadlift, and the biggest bench are all very large, why, because the muscles have adapted to the stress put on them and in order to have a maximum output, they must grow.
    Many times I've heard of lifters tearing tendons because they cannot keep up with the training due to a use of steriods, so I believe they are responsible for a degree of strength.
    This shows that tendons do compensate for some of the strength, or a lot for that manner, otherwise the great grip people would have enormous hands!
    A unique snowflake

Originally posted by WinterPalm
    all the world's strongest men, with the biggest squat, the biggest deadlift, and the biggest bench are all very large, why, because the muscles have adapted to the stress put on them and in order to have a maximum output, they must grow.
    Well... kind of.

What you said is right, to an extent. The men with the absolute highest lifts (paying no attention to weight class) are pretty big. But then again, the first guy to squat over 1000lbs, Fred Hatfield, doesn't have as big of legs as like Bodybuilder Tom Platz, who can't squat as much.

Now, if you look at the lifters who are strongest relative to bodyweight, you'll come up with a list of lightweight lifters. Ok now I'm just making these numbers up here, but you'll get the point:

You might see a 120lb lifter who can deadlift 480lbs. This is 4x his bodyweight. But you won't see a 300lb lifter who can deadlift 1200lbs, which would be 4x his bodyweight.

Now, if they're both trained athletes, the 300lb lifter will most likely have higher totals (be able to lift more weight total) than the 120lb guy, but it won't be as high relative to his bodyweight. The 300lb guy might have an 800 or 900lb deadlift, which is much higher than the 120lb guy's 480lbs deadlift.

I forgot exactly why (Ford can probably explain better), but at high levels of training (maybe at all levels?) the bigger you get, the weaker you get relative to your bodyweight, altho your absolute strength will be higher.

Make sense?

otherwise the great grip people would have enormous hands!
    Not really. Most of the gripping muscles are in the forearms.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Iron is correct. There are 3 small muscles in the hand, but the majority of grip strength comes from the forearms. Just look at any rodeo rider. They have huge forearms. Look at a blacksmith. Huge forearms. Etc. A muscle doesn't have to be big in order to contract hard.

The contraction properties of a muscle are controlled by these cord-like structures calles myofabrils. When you train to handle a maximum load like power lifting or oly lifting or even gymnastics, the hard contraction of the muscles causes these myofabrils to thicken which makes them more able to contract harder. (ie handle more weight) The thing is that very little of this growth is visible. In the grand scheme of things, it's so small that a guy won't look huge because of it. It will make him appear more "dense" if he has low bodyfat though. On top of that, the handling of maximal weight causes the central nervous system (CNS) to adjust.

We are only able to use a percentage of our total muscle strength. The CNS governs how hard our msucles to contract to stop us from breaking our bones and ripping muscles. As you lift heavier weights, the CNS becomes disinhibitted. While a novice lifter might be able to contract 45-50% of his fibers at once, an elite power lifter can contract 80%. That alone would be a huge leap in strength without even factoring in the physical training of the muscle itself.

Big muscles are something different. While the general way to train for muscle growth (big muscles) will cause the myofabrils to grow slightly, the bulk of the growth is from the energy delivery system of the muscle called sarcoplasm. That's why bodybuilders train to failure and go for the "pump" and "burn" because they want their energy systems to be taxed so much that the amount of sarcoplasm will grow. This is what jacked guys do. Sarcoplasm is jelly-like in nature and that's why a huge guy can still appear soft. It's because he neglected the myofabrils in his training...

In short, you can have a strong a grip without being big. You can be strong in any regards without being big. Tendons and ligaments don't have as much to do with it as muscles/cns.

BTW, what iron is talking about is true how relative strength decreases with bodyweight. They actually have coefficients that they apply in powerlifting and oly lifting comps to actually judge how a bigger and smaller guy compare to each other.

Ford, I don't think I've ever seen a big bodybuilder with low bodyfat who had "soft" looking muscles. I know there are some guys who never train with heavy weights, tho. Maybe I'm not looking at it right. And when all I was doing was PTP stuff, I never thought my muscles looked any "denser" than anyone elses.

But I always hear that "soft" and "dense" thing that you were talking about, so I dunno what to think.

You have arnold's encyclopedia, right? Look at Franco Columbo and Arnie, and then compare them with guys like Lee Priest, or that huge gay looking German dude.

I even think Arnie talks about it in their when talking about him and Franco always looked denser than other guys because they started out as "weightlifters" which is Autrian Oak for power lifters.

dwid,

Check out Toby's last paragraph on page one with regard to other exercises. It is right on the money.

mickey

massage, jow/liniment, and chinese health balls

I use the COC equipment as well and love em. Just got me a #2 in the mail the other day. Tough little b a s t a r d s to train with but they will keep you going.

I train every other day and only do low reps with high intensity. I warm up with the trainer for about 10 reps per hand and then use my twist yo wrist little wrist roller, then go to the big forearm wrist roller with medium weight.

Then at the end of the lower arm workout I do 4 sets of 5 reps on the number 1. I squeeze the gripper like hell, like im trying to break it for one rep.

After I use the iron balls to help smooth out the tension I packed into my hands with this type of workout. Then I use jow and massage and then a little shaking qi gong to move qi and blood out and into the hands.

this works for me, but not for everyone else. Like mentioned before you have to play around with your workouts and schedules and see what works for you.

Cheers,

Dale Dugas

I never knew there was levels to the hand gripper thingys.
    How do I find out what level is mine? I got mine at like Wal-mart I think. ha ha ha

I haven't been doing them lately but I still think I have the best grip in my whole school.

Girls seem to be intrested in the thingys...they always take them from me (just to be random).
    A"recovered" crack addict. "That came from being one of the Reagan-era kids when I was in middle school as part of that whole Just Say No thing. They would have people who were recovering addicts come to talk to us at school. One guy in particular came to talk to us about drugs. But it didn't sound like he thought they were that bad. He sounded more like a commercial for drugs than a warning."
    -Dave Chappelle on Tyrone Biggums

"A good male hostage negotiator can talk the pants off a nun. And a good female negotiator could be caught in bed with another man by her husband and the next moment would be standing up, putting her clothes on, acting like it was a big joke, convincing the husband that nothing happened. And after a while, maybe he wouldn't believe it, he's not stupid, but it would put some doubts in his head..."
    -CPD hostage negotiator

The one you bought at Wal-Mart can be anywhere from 30 to 40 pounds of pressure depending on if it's bailey's or some other company like that, some even come with foam on them, truly embrassing. However, york sells them in Wal-mart, or i've seen them anyway, and those are about 60 pounds of pressure.
    Ironmind, which sells incredible products, starts with the Trainer at 100 pounds of pressure, then a 1 at 140, a 2 at 195, the 3 is at 280 and the 4 at 365 pounds of pressure! I recommend you get these and forget about the Wal-Mart one, if you have the strongest hands with just that, you must be very strong naturally because those do very little for strength but more for endurance.
    A unique snowflake

reps

What are you guys doing in the way of reps? I use a circular concrete step from my back yard. To work the outside of the forearms I pinch it with both hands over my head and flex for about 60 reps. When I curl it to work the inside I can only get about half that. I'm also holding and flexing a couple of 4 lb sledges with 5 lb ankle weights wrapped around the handle near the head. I just hang the hammers and flex up in 4 directions.
    My muscles don't really give out but the pain is intense

I've seen alot of progress but I'm not sure that my training is optimal. Can anyone offer an opinion?

Thanks

Originally posted by Ford Prefect
    You have arnold's encyclopedia, right? Look at Franco Columbo and Arnie, and then compare them with guys like Lee Priest, or that huge gay looking German dude.

I even think Arnie talks about it in their when talking about him and Franco always looked denser than other guys because they started out as "weightlifters" which is Autrian Oak for power lifters.
    I remember Arnold talking about he and Franco looking more dense because of the powerlifting background...

...but I also remember him talking about upper and lower abs, as well.

Perhaps I'll look through it again.

Which gay looking German dude?

Originally posted by WinterPalm
    The one you bought at Wal-Mart can be anywhere from 30 to 40 pounds of pressure depending on if it's bailey's or some other company like that, some even come with foam on them, truly embrassing. However, york sells them in Wal-mart, or i've seen them anyway, and those are about 60 pounds of pressure.
    Ironmind, which sells incredible products, starts with the Trainer at 100 pounds of pressure, then a 1 at 140, a 2 at 195, the 3 is at 280 and the 4 at 365 pounds of pressure! I recommend you get these and forget about the Wal-Mart one, if you have the strongest hands with just that, you must be very strong naturally because those do very little for strength but more for endurance.
    I have like two for both hands, I try to do 50 everyday but I kept forgetting as of late.
    But they are pretty small...probably 40 pounds.

Do you know of a store where I can get better ones....better as in more pounds of pressure but yet you can at least put your hand around it. ha ha ha
    A"recovered" crack addict. "That came from being one of the Reagan-era kids when I was in middle school as part of that whole Just Say No thing. They would have people who were recovering addicts come to talk to us at school. One guy in particular came to talk to us about drugs. But it didn't sound like he thought they were that bad. He sounded more like a commercial for drugs than a warning."
    -Dave Chappelle on Tyrone Biggums

"A good male hostage negotiator can talk the pants off a nun. And a good female negotiator could be caught in bed with another man by her husband and the next moment would be standing up, putting her clothes on, acting like it was a big joke, convincing the husband that nothing happened. And after a while, maybe he wouldn't believe it, he's not stupid, but it would put some doubts in his head..."
    -CPD hostage negotiator

Thanks for all the helpful replies.

It seems likely I have been overtraining.

I picked up the Brookfield books on my last Ironmind order, but haven't had time to read them yet because of my work and school schedule. Hopefully they will have lots of clever solutions for shooting past plateaus.

I don't have 4 or 5 ten pound plates, and don't think I could get my hand around that many if I did. However, I'm in the process of rigging something so I can hang additional weight off a pair of 10 lb. plates, so that should be fun.
    The cinnabun palm is deadly, especially when combined with the tomato kick. - TenTigers