Thread: Bagua instructional supplementals

Bagua instructional supplementals

Hi,

Could someone recommend any good tapes or books that would supplement my Bagua training? I am not looking for forms or techniques per se, but something with exercises that'll help develop my...Bagua body better. I figure altho there are different styles of BGZ, the fundamentals should be similar and sticking to drills and exercises to improve my Bagua body, footwork, etc, should not get me too confused - I think. I don't get to see my teacher often and I practice everything he shows me, but because my visits are few and far in between (traveling sux...) I'd like some aids to further my training on my own. Thanks.
    Long Live the Fighters!
    -Paul Mua'Dib Atreides

The best thing you can do for your bagua body when your not in class is circle walking. Really low, really, really slow, with strict attention to detail. I know it's dull, but you'll thank me later if you listen to what I say. At least 1 hour every day. Focus on alignment and the way your weight shifts as you step. Focus on twisting inward. Focus on griping the ground with your toes and never, never lift your heel. Think about the pressings. Try and practice only do one palm per session. Later on, when you are positive your alignment and weight shifting is perfect, (LOL) perfect as you can be, you can add some weight training. Shot puts, wrist and ankle weights and a weighted vest.

Also, find out if your teacher can teach you a qigong set that is bagua specific. This was recommended to me about 6 months ago and I have made more progress in 6 months than I have made in the last 6 years. I guarantee it.
    Count

Live it or live with it.

KABOOOM

Well since count really didnt answer your question. I will and send you to this link to the plum flower press. They have the best resource of info (vids/Books) on what you are looking for.
    but vids and books cannot replace your teacher and class instruction, rather they should be used as references to your training. plus,,,you might try to work on excersises of your own, it is not hard to create an "excersise program" to fit your needs in pakua.

Peace,,,TWS

http://www.plumflower.com/
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

Originally posted by The Willow Sword
    Well since count really didnt answer your question. I will and send you to this link to the plum flower press.
    First of all, I did answer the questions. I didn't really need to refer Octavius to any books. There are no books that give you all the answers. Most of the answers are held closely and not published for commercial consumption. Anyway, people would laugh if they new how simple it really is. And second, there is no need to supplement anything since everything is in bagua that is necessary and most of it can be found on the circle.
    Count

Live it or live with it.

KABOOOM

The most important fundemental in Ba Gua is the Mud walking and often the most overlooked. You could beat a good fighter with just the changing palms, but add the Mud walking and you can beat a master. Walk the circle. Good Luck.

I agree, walking the circle will make your skills improve the most, as well as giving you the workout you need to stay healthy. Walking the circle is the foundation of Bagua.

Erle Montaigue has several videos that might interest you. There is a basic Bagua video (a very detailed but still very basic overview of the qigongs and solo empty-hand forms), but his Bagua Essentials series begins by applying the Bagua classics to physical movement, and progresses to how to walk the circle correctly before moving on to form movements and applications. Those alone will give you a lot of things to add to your basic practice. He also has a series on Bagua freeform sparring and push hands that will give you partner practice aside from application practice and adding push hands from Taiji like some do.