Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: England, Champions Of The World !!!!

Posted by serpent:
    On a complete tangent, why do you all call black people in America "African-Americans"? For one, how do you know they're of African heritage? They could be from Papue New Guinea for all you know. Also, they were probably born in America for generations, just like everyone else.

This is a name that some wanted to be called starting about 15 years ago. At first I did not like it as I am just an American, not a Euro-American. I recall reading where some group had tracked the DNA of the different races and if you put the sub Sahara Africans at one end, the other end would be the native peoples of the South Pasific. They may look similar, but they are as far apart as you can get and they are Asian.

I work for a Japanese company and a black woman overheard a man working on a computer controlled robot say something about the master and slave boards and she is trying to get everyone at the company and the industry to call them Mother and childern boards.
    Can you imagine the mother cylinder on your car going out?
    Last edited by Bluesman; 11-28-2003 at 09:59 PM.

I just read this thread today as it was something that I thought would not interest me. But I wanted to see what all the posts and views were about. Had a good laugh
    Congratulations to our British allies! Hope that some of you can enjoy our version of whiskey, bourbon. The Scotts brought their whiskey making with them over here to Kentucky. They had to burn out some old empty salted fish barrels to get the stink out and the carbon left behind removes the bad taste from the whiskey too.
    Of course we would not have won the war if was not for the French. They named a county in Kentucky after the House of Bourbon , France in their honor. The barrels were stamped Bourbon, that is where the salted fish were going, and that is how it got its name.
    A bit smoother than Canadian, Irish or Scotch whiskey, at least the good stuff is.

(Off topic) African americans….

Speaking of which, I have met some African Americans who come over here (to Africa) with this idea to trace back their roots and everything. Most often, these guys have this ‘ romantic’ dream of their heritage, cultures, ceremonies and all. Very often (most of the time) when they get to Africa and they see what African culture is all about, they change their views all together, going back home, very happy to just be America. No More African American, rather just black Americans. I mean, have you ever see someone slaughter a cow, by cutting its throat and letting it die from blood loss? Have you seen how they circumcise young boys with dirty old carving knives? Have you ever seen how two brothers argue, one gets up, and stab the other one with a knife, then just go back as if nothing has happened, letting the other one die?

I’m a white man living in Africa. I was born here, and grew up amongst all of this, but I still cannot understand or accept the African cultures. Someone once told me, “ You should never try to understand Africa, just accept it”.

Please don’t come with this, you’re a racists thing and all. Its not about racism, its about cultures. African cultures are not for the feint hearted.

Originally posted by Goldenmane

Funny thing, go up to the Northern Territory. That is the term you are expected/kinda required to use. Try calling the blackfellas up in Arnhem Land "Indigenous Australians" or something like that and they'll just think you're being a twat. Or at least, that's how it was when was up there last year.
    You know, that's possibly where I developed the habit. When I was first in Australia I came through the NT and was travelling through there (from Darwin to Alice and almost back again) for a couple of months.
    Hell, it's not as if you can't tell that people have different coloured skin.

People call me short@rse often enough, or something like it, cos I'm only five foot six tall. It's a reality, I am quite short. So what?

Ooops... just got into a rant, didn't I?
    My point exactly. If there's a black guy and a white guy standing somewhere and you need to point one of them out, what's the most distinctive feature you can use to identify which one? If it was you and I, Goldenmane, they'd say "the short guy" if they meant you (as I'm white and 6' 1"). Oh god, I could rant on for hours about.

Call a spade a spade, OK!
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

Originally posted by Bluesman
    They had to burn out some old empty salted fish barrels to get the stink out and the carbon left behind removes the bad taste from the whiskey too.
    Of course we would not have won the war if was not for the French. They named a county in Kentucky after the House of Bourbon , France in their honor. The barrels were stamped Bourbon, that is where the salted fish were going, and that is how it got its name.
    A bit smoother than Canadian, Irish or Scotch whiskey, at least the good stuff is.
    The god of Whisky (note the lack of an 'e'), may forgive your ignorance, I however shall not!

Mind you, seeing as you Yanks who actually do visit Scotland researching your roots, wearing Tartan Trousers all ask for Coke and ice in your whisky, regardless of whether it's a malt or a blend, I could hardly expect better.

BTW, the *** USA Rugby team were thrashed by Scotland, a country smaller than mostly any of your individual states!
    I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Originally posted by SifuAbel
    OMG, some body got a DNA sample from the burnt carcass of the last dead horse, separated the live cells, cloned another horse, watched it grow, let it come to maturity and then
    PROCEEDED TO BEAT IT TO DEATH , AGAIN!!!!!!!!!

Angry

GO ABERDEEEN
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."