Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: wing chun weapons

I recommend our forum members to check out two articles on the Butterfly knives and the Dragon Pole at this link:

http://garylamwingchun.com/articles.html

They discuss in details concerning the WC weapon training methodologies as well as many interesting insights, usage, and purposes in the modern era. Everytime I reread them I see something new. This will flesh out nicely with what David and Rene discussed above. Have fun!

Regards,
    Last edited by PaulH; 10-14-2003 at 02:34 PM.

My CQC instructor a few years ago, was very pleased when he started teaching me to hear I had even the most limited experience with WingChun(which I have very limited expereince)
    He had some training with it in his past, but conceptually he was a different kind of martial artist. Escrima being one the things he taught, a beatiful art, they compliment each other very well, loose and mobile, requiring great root work, explosive motion. Escrima I found (in my again limited experience) to be more aggressive, that I believe is the compliment, escrima seems a little helpless with out the weapons, WingChun, the weapons teach the hands, they are merely an accesory. I think WingChun is really such a powerful art that it compliments just about anything so well that one is deceived into thinking it is missing something, because it seems to "complete" anything.

Re: wing chun weapons

Originally posted by madlilpimp
    So i was i thinking are these people deciding to teach escrima because wing chun has a poor weapons system.
    These people are deciding to teach escrima probably because their own understanding of the Wing Chun weapons is lacking. If that is the case then their understanding of the first 3 forms is lacking. If this is the case their Wing Chun sucks.

Thumbs down

I made friends like that too when I first joined
    Aaron Vyvial

"If you want to be good, you will be"

Moy Yat Kung Fu Academy

training video

These people are deciding to teach escrima probably because their own understanding of the Wing Chun weapons is lacking. If that is the case then their understanding of the first 3 forms is lacking. If this is the case their Wing Chun sucks.
    A doesn't imply B and B doesn't necessarily imply C.

Maybe they DO understand the WC weapons better than others, and found that they actually ARE lacking, or at least aren't perfect?

The Modernist attitude some people have to MA is getting old. It IS okay to take your WC blinkers off and look around now and then. You won't go to hell or lose the WC magic.

There are plenty of styles with something to offer. Some can actually complement each other, believe it or not.

Now, play nice with the other kids, OK?
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Originally posted by anerlich
    There are plenty of styles with something to offer.
    I won't dispute that.
    Some can actually complement each other, believe it or not.
    Sure, but Wing Chun isn't one of those that needs complementing unless you're lacking in its understanding. It's reasonable. Bruce Lee did it, and for the same reasons.

Sure, but Wing Chun isn't one of those that needs complementing unless you're lacking in its understanding.
    That is an opinion. you are entitled to it.

Bruce Lee did it, and for the same reasons.
    Bruce Lee IMO would have explored other arts and created JKD even if he had learned the entire system from Yip Man. Bruce is actaully a better example AGAINST your argument than for it.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti

Top of wing Chun Mountain

Keng Geng - you have the same location as WhippingHand and Enter the Whip.

I wished you a happy birthday and everything. Pity your attitude hasn't improved.

That is an opinion. you are entitled to it.
    More like the pattern that exists in martial arts. Not everyone can know Wing Chun, just because they train it.

Bruce Lee IMO would have explored other arts and created JKD even if he had learned the entire system from Yip Man.
    Would have, might have, did not. His history falls in line with the pattern. In fact, he started the pattern. Thus, the state the whole martial arts world is in now. Quasi martial artists doing whatever the hell.

If I would to add another weapon to the Wing Chun system it would be a gun, not escrima sticks.

"Not everyone can know Wing Chun, just because they train it." <-- very true

"Would have, might have, did not. His history falls in line with the pattern. In fact, he started the pattern. Thus, the state the whole martial arts world is in now. Quasi martial artists doing whatever the hell." <--- Also very true.

Many people believe that advanced stages of WC is all principle not technique which is what Bruce (you know, like water) was looking for, being able to adapt your WC in any situation because you set no limits on it. A beginner and intermediate level WC guy can't do this and is limited to the basic and weak fighting framework that is WC. Which means easy frustration and the feeling that they must add to the system or change it. Very few people are willing to really learn the system.
    Aaron Vyvial

"If you want to be good, you will be"

Moy Yat Kung Fu Academy

training video

If I would to add another weapon to the Wing Chun system it would be a gun, not escrima sticks.
    I see what you are getting at, but IMO the benefits (real or otherwise, and of whatever quality) of learning weapons such as the swords, pole, or Filipino weapons are that they are adaptable to improvised weapons you might find in a defense situation.

Kind of hard to improvise a gun. Also, where I live a citizen cannot legally carry one for defence purposes.

I'm not sure how often you find two 12-18" blades with hooks attached lying around in gutters, on the floors of bars, etc., but at least the BJD techniques are adaptable to short impact weapons ... as are FMA techniques.

It's up to each to decide whether with different arts 2+2=5 or 2+2=3.

A beginner and intermediate level WC guy can't do this and is limited to the basic and weak fighting framework that is WC. Which means easy frustration and the feeling that they must add to the system or change it. Very few people are willing to really learn the system.
    I don't understand what you mean. If the system is unsound at beginner or intermediate levels, how does it become awesome at advanced levels if the foundation is weak? Wasn't WC meant to be a system you could become proficient with in a short time? When should you start reaching the "advanced" levels? 5,10,15 years? How long do you have to practice before you can find out whether your "belief", that the advanced, principle based levels were the ant's pants, was correct or not?

I tihnk many people are willing to really learn the system. I know more than a few, including some that now practice other styles AS WELL. Some even do that and then move on to really learn other systems as well.

The opportunity for anyone to put the WC weapons in their rightful place is there for the taking. Attend a Dog Brothers gathering and show them how clueless they are. Make sure your medical insurance is up to date first, though.

Originally posted by Ng Mui
    How would that relate to the previous forms' attributes? What would it actually add to the improvement of your training?

Attend a Dog Brothers gathering and show them how clueless they are. Make sure your medical insurance is up to date first, though.
    Dog Brothers? They're a joke when it comes to weapons.

Dog Brothers? They're a joke when it comes to weapons.
    Tell them that.

Tell them that.
    They know. By they I mean the head dog, or whatever.
    Last edited by Keng Geng; 10-27-2003 at 09:29 AM.