I have been jumped a few times and had friends stand there and watch.
****ed me off.
However as I got older I learned some things(by the way your friend didnt get jumped, he saw that coming and was talkng smack).
If you are going to fight, fight for your life, fight with everything you have, bite, kick, gouge eyes, pick up a weapon, annhilate your opponent as fast as you can, if you are not prepared to do that and nothing less, dont fight at all, AT ALL.
You were not ready to commit yourself to violence, good, I reccomend you never raise your hand to anyone unless you have to, and have to means to protect life, your own or your friends.
My sifu told me, when decide to fight, you decide to kill, because the other guy (you MUST assume) has already decided to kill you.
If you arent ready to kill your enemy find another way around it, when all other ways are lost(the decision really takes place in less then a second) exhaust all your reserves in making sure you walk away, if that means someone else doesnt, well then that is what it means.
Fighting is not a joke, it is not a sport, it proves nothing.
Dont feel bad, maybe your friend learned something.
Avoid people who put danger at your feet, take fighting as serious as it should be.
Dont feel guilty for not hurting someone, or more then likly dont feel guilty for not getting stomped by 9 guys yourself.