Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Greatest Misconceptions

"due to the higher level of fitness and balance, and coordination and awareness of self... Indirectly it does. "

I seriously doubt that alot of us here( much less the rest of the global martial arts community) are capable of performing delicate surgery, perform spectacular stunts on bmx, are excelent gymnasts, tightrope walking circus performers, mountaineers, etc, etc , etc..
    but we still might be decent martial artists.
    not everybody that does martial arts is a decent martial artist..
    that in itself is a misconception
    bless

Not saying it gives that ability, but it does indirectly translate to other physical activities.
    "In choosing your dwelling, know how to keep to the ground.
    In cultivating your mind, know how to dive in the hidden depths.
    In dealing with others, know how to be gentle and kind.
    In speaking, know how to keep your words.
    In governing, know how to maintain order.
    In transacting business, know how to be efficient.
    In making a move, know how to choose the right moment.
    If you do not strive with others, you will be free from blame."
    -Lao Tzu, Tao Teh Ching
    An eye for an eye leaves the world blind.

Thumbs up

I know I'm a better mechanic than I was before I started kung fu! Also, my floor waxing has improved exponentially.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

All of this may be true,
    but this is not the rule for ALL martial artists, some might not be able to make that translation.
    which is why its a misconception, even though theres truth to it.

Maybe I should have added these tags:

[sarcasm] I know I'm a better mechanic than I was before I started kung fu! Also, my floor waxing has improved exponentially. [/sarcasm]
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

also, I would like to clarify that by saying, while martial arts might translate to your personal physical activities. Something outside of the box totally may or may not be so easy..but then you guys are all grandmasters so maybe.

LOL

sarcasm ok, but still I feel the urge to clarify.

heh heh

Im loathe to tell people I do kung fu, because the next thing they say is usually something like "really? I used to do karate when I was ten, wanna spar?"

then adopt some ridiculous fighting stance they saw on the matrix.
    "If there is no grand plan; if there is no big picture; if nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."

Or how they lernd the real **** and their teacher was banned from China or Japan for being to deadly.

It's almost as bad as saying they were the "Chinese champion from 82-85".

Champion of what???

I avoid these inquiries like the plague. I'd rather no one know what I do. I hate the dumb ass questions (do your own research) and the stupid flailing of arms, "are you fast enough to stop this!! WATAAAAH!

I feel like saying "Are you smart enough to go train? Go see for yourself. Work it out for yourself."
    Let's face it, MA's are not for everyone.

Actually, I've noticed that I do combine my art in the real world. At work, I dodge around people and am fast on my feet, I've dropped stuff before (nothing serious) and caught it with my other hand. I remember once I dropped a napkin, then caught it right in front of a girl's face with my other hand. She looked up and goes "Nice reflexes".

I also tend do use a tan sau to get around people who back into me. I'll be walking and someone quickly gets too close and I throw a tan sau up to push through.
    I have a signature.

Talking

The registering your hands as deadly weapons is the one that always makes me wanna scream "IDIOT"

Ooops....that was boxers, not martial artist.....sorry

Originally posted by FatherDog
    I will double-leg, mount, and elbow the crap out of the next person that asks me if I can beat up Jet Li.
    I hate Jet Li.

Ryu
    "No judo! NO NO!"

"One who takes pride in shallow knowledge or understanding is like a monkey who delights in adorning itself with garbage."

Attain your highest ability, and continue past it. Emotion becomes movement. Express that which makes you; which guides you. Movement and Mind without hesitation. Physical spirituality...
    This is Jeet Kune Do....

Fatherdog

Can you beat up Jet Li?

Oh, another thing I hate is when a customer at Hollywood (who happens to know I study krotty) asks me what it's like to study the same stuff as Jet Li, and if I am as bad-ass as him.

Bridget Fonda's NEVER called me gay.
    BreakProof BackŪ Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

hah yeah thats one of the worst. "dude can you break this brick?"

bricks dont hit back.
    "If there is no grand plan; if there is no big picture; if nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."

Bircks Don't Hit Back?

The hell they don't. Got clocked in the cajones by a red one one time. Hurt like a . . . brick to the boys, I guess.

Darn thing needed to get hit. Not that it broke. After all, what does a Krottyman know of the ancient Hapkido/Shaolim style of masonry destruction?
    BreakProof BackŪ Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.