Thread: Old Chinese Weapons?

Old Chinese Weapons?

Think these are legit?

Old Chain Weapon - it's got cool looking balls on the end.

Old chain weapon with longer handles

"Chain sword"

Hmm...

I heard there's some people in Asia who try to rip off Americans by artifically aging their products and then trying to sell them as "antiques."

A 5ft sword is pretty cool, though.

All his stuff says "antique" on it.

Suspicious?

IronFist
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Re: Old Chinese Weapons?

Originally posted by IronFist

Manriki Kusari (japanes ename

Different version of a Manriki Kusari

Mever seen before.

Japanese sword with odd looking tsuba.

All his stuff says "antique" on it.

Suspicious?

[/B][/QUOTE]

Might be suspiscious, some of that stuff looks rusted and not that well preserved.

Alos getting a bit worried when I see people seeling tons of antiques when they are a) not in teh country b) not of that nationality, c) got a high seller rating on e-bay.

As for c.) Unless they guy is a proper antique dealer I would be suspicious, if he is an authetnic dealer he should provide appr. information on the auction.

Cheers.
    Witty signature under construction.

Dont toutch anythuing antique on Ebay.

Good site for that kind of gear ischinesearms.com

it has such things as paired chain sticks

and a cool thing called an egal claw that could well be a back scratcher.

By trolling the internet in my days of looking for an antique jian I have it on good authority that this site is guenuine and are ok to deal with by post.
    LOL.. really, what else did you hear?.. did you hear that he was voted Man of the Year by Kung-Fu Magizine?

Hey Guys,

The chains are chinese ones - the japanese kusari-fundo have smooth links to manipulate the chain for both flailing and grappling (grappling much more limited in chinese arts). These are similar to some chinese chain whips a friend has - if you look at the links of the chains in the pictures, you'll notice they're similar to other more conventional chain whips, and are best used for flailing and stretched out for deflections/wrapping, rather than sliding through your hands (say byebye to piano playing if its your thing - the links on those chain whips look like barbed wire to me!)

Think these are legit?
    Yeah, sure. Wanna buy a small bridge across an insignificant river called the Thames, in the south of a small island called UK?
    ]I heard there's some people in Asia who try to rip off Americans by artifically aging their products and then trying to sell them as "antiques."
    Yeah, sorry about that.

its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

i like Monk Spades...Those things are the coolest weapon,or the Monks cudgel!!!
    Monk Spade
    Monks Cudgel
    Go Surf!
    Train hard and work hard to gain mastery.
    Do not train and you gain nothing.
    Spread good karma!!! Because if you dont, you get hit by bad karma!!!
    Then you will step in dog crap!!!=)
    Karate's better!!!

Ripping people off by selling fakes?!! You've gotta be kidding. Hey just changing the subject, I have some great antique weapons for sale if you guys are interested - they're antique - i swear! - just been ummm.. cleaning them... yeah, that's it.. in tea for a few weeks. Look pretty good though. Boy it's a good thing the real antique weapons market isn't like that crazy scenario I just thought up, isn't it!

BTW Surferdude, you must be Kungfu Magazine's wet dream!

Getting weapons on e-bay wasn't so bad about 5 years ago. I wouldn't trust it now. You have China-made Katana's being pitched as Japanese antiques for $140.

Think these are legit?

Suspicious?

IronFist
    Text from the Ebay page:

A personal steal chain, both end with a small steel hammer that is called Flow hammer. powerful. Rare item. Over 150 years old. Please refer to the pictures. Happy bidding.

Freudian slip?

surferdude is not our wet dream...

...but we greatly appreciate his input

When it comes to antiques, you really have to look well. I won't trust eBay nor would I deny it. At the same time, nor would I trust an "authentic dealer." I'm not even sure what that means. Is someone who owns an antique store "authentic"? I used to deal a few antiques myself, lurking at the gun shows and the Butterfield's & Butterfield's auction. B&B is about as established as an authentic auctioneer as you can get and their Arms and Armor auctions are fantastic. But at the same time, I've seen some obvious fakes go up on their blocks. When it comes to antiques, caveat emptor. You really got to know your stuff.

Those items look ok to me on the surface, but over the net, it's really hard to tell. If you want it, go for it.

BTW, I wrote an article on buying Chinese antiques way back in our NOV 1999 issue
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Surferdude's not our wet dream

o well
    Go Surf!
    Train hard and work hard to gain mastery.
    Do not train and you gain nothing.
    Spread good karma!!! Because if you dont, you get hit by bad karma!!!
    Then you will step in dog crap!!!=)
    Karate's better!!!

the 5ft samurai sword is a nodachi, a calvary sword.