Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT: Big Easy

OT: Big Easy

I'm going to new orleans in a few weeks. I haven't been there in many years and was just looking for ideas on some fun things to do, besides the obvious (and planned) getting spirited and listening to some great blues.

TIA
    Your intelligence is surpassed only by your ignorance.

You are more likely to fall down the stairs and break your neck if you live in a house with stairs. You are more likely to be in a car accident if you drive to work. You are more likely to be kicked in the nuts or punched in the nose if you practicing the martial arts. - Judge Pen

go to Paul Prudhomme's restaurant K-Paul's

and order and eat this:
    Blackened Twin Beef Tenders Debris
    Twin Beef Tenders Seasoned and Blackened in a Cast Iron Skillet and Served w/ Debris Sauce, Potatoes & Veggies
    You'll be glad you did.
    http://www.kpauls.com/

I drove through it a couple years ago on my way to Flordia. Looked pretty boring. As we were leaving the place, my brother pointed out the window and I saw 2 cops walking down the street about 50 feet from us with there guns drawn. I don't think Im gonna go back there any time soon.
    I have a signature.

I'd suggest finding out if there's any tours of historic landmarks you could go on. Normally I just wander around visiting stuff like that when I'm travelling, but as Philbert noted, it might not be the best of ideas to wander randomly in N'awlins.
    "hey pal, you wanna do the dance of destruction with the belle of the ball, just say the word." -apoweyn

I'm from New Orleans.

There is a Supermarket called Dorignac's on Veteran's Boulevard. If you can find it, I highly suggest you go there on a Sunday morning. That's the real New Orleans right there.

Hang out in the produce department for a while and watch the little old ladies buying their merletons and cr@p. That's the real New Orleans experience. If you are lucky, they will see you and start telling you about their lives.

Now, you should have a Po-Boy while you are there. There are gas stations called Clyde's that serve the best. I know, I know, but trust me. You could make a whole new po-boy with the shrimp that fall out of one of their shrimp po-boys.

Check out who is playing as Tippatina's and, if you like metal at all, find Fat City.
    Last edited by eulerfan; 04-28-2003 at 08:46 AM.
    He who establishes his argument by noise and command shows that his reason is weak. - Montaigne

what?
    No mention of bourbon street yet?
    whats wrong with you people?
    What about heckling the cross dressers?
    Or picking on the wierdos at the above ground cemetaries?

The cemetaries are verra cool. And I'm not a weirdo, so don't heckle me.

Oh wait, yes I am.

Anyway, the cemetaries are amazing, Bourbon street is there. Really, it's not hard to find things to do in New Orleans. And what's especially nice is that everywhere's a public restroom.

The oldest apartments in America are there.

I also hear there's some strip clubs.

DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT go to a strip club in the middle of Bourbon street. You'll be watching a fifty year old woman with track marks trying to gyrate naked.
    He who establishes his argument by noise and command shows that his reason is weak. - Montaigne

DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT go to a strip club in the middle of Bourbon street. You'll be watching a fifty year old woman with track marks trying to gyrate naked.
    What's wrong with that? I dig older chicks.

And track marks are sexy.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

yes, I thought track marks show they have direction.
    to show they are "on track"
    ?

heheh
    You can always find your self a nice woah-man thing, like "woah-man you gotta ****!"

Louisiana microbrewery makes some good beer and is called Abita. Turbodog is my favorite but it's a dark beer. There is also Amber and they have another that is rasberry flavored, Purple Haze.

I'll keep posting here as more stuff occurs to me.

When I was a kid, I took an ill advised trip to New Orleans with a friend, and his folk's car ended up breaking down and we lost our money(long story).

Anyway, we befriended this guy who let us use his apartment. Well, turned out he was a paranoid drug dealer, his girlfriend was a stripper, and their apartment was essentially either a big party zone full of naked women, or completely empty except for us and the drug dealer guy who wouldn't let us turn the light on because "I think they're out there"[maniacally brandishing pistol in one hand].

Anyway, we was young'uns, so the strippers took pitty on us and took us to their leader, the head stripper from an extremely wealthy family. She put us up in her family's 'apartment', which was huge.

I recommend doing that.

abita is good f*cking beer

lots of *****s to.

lots of *****s.

BTW, I really DON'T recommend my above itinerary to anyone. New Orleans is a good place to have a plan, and depite all the nakedness, it was one whacked trip, though I can laugh about it now. Actually, I laughed about it then too. But there were moments we thought captain paranoia or whoever he was afraid of were gonna kill our northern selves.

hehehe
    Ever seen the "salton sea"
    ?
    Funny paranoid drugdealer in that movie.
    A couple years ago, we went to the beach and one of my friends up and disappeared, didnt see him for 3 months. Turns out he hooked up with some stripper and moved into her apartment... lofl....