Thread: What's Bas Rutten like? anyoen seen him in action?

What's Bas Rutten like? anyoen seen him in action?

I keep hearing on the net about what great moves this guy has in UFC type fights, but I haven't had the opportunity to see him in action. Is he really impressive as a stand up fighter or something?
    Kung fu background or thai?

Bas is the best fighter in the world right now.

He has a Kickboxing and karate backround, and after losing to a few sub-artists in pancrase he focused completely on submission fighting, and has gotten to be quite adept at groundwork.

He is undefeated and his body shots are amazing.
    Everyone has a breaking point.

First of all, Dedication is an idiot. Bas isn't actively competing right now, and hasn't been since 1999, so it's ridiculous to call him 'the best fighter in the world right now.' Secondly, he calls him undefeated right after saying "after losing to a few sub-artists in pancrase".

With that out of the way...

Bas is an extremely talented striker. He trained in Tae Kwon Do and Kyokushin karate as a teenager, but most of his style is Muay Thai derived. As a grappler, he is excellent for the amount of training he's done (which is actually not all that much, compared to most MMA fighters), but I wouldn't put him up there with the top guys; he's excellent at escaping on the ground and can be slick at putting on positions, but his positioning in general is just okay. Because of his strong striking skills, okay on the ground is generally enough for him. Bas is primarily a stand up fighter.
    "hey pal, you wanna do the dance of destruction with the belle of the ball, just say the word." -apoweyn

i thikn there are some clips of him at sherdog.com - he has some mean palms

dawood
    Peace is not the product of terror or fear.
    Peace is not the silence of cemeteries.
    Peace is not the silent result of violent repression.
    Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all.
    Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity.
    It is right and it is duty.

The guy is a monster, and uses some concepts that can be found in kung fu as well (surprise). Nobody built like him should be able to kick someone in the head though...that is just not right!
    -Golden Arms-

When he was here in town for a seminar he got into a fight with three or four bouncers at a posh bar and kicked the living sh!t out of them. He said they started it

my God!

i watched that clip - he really IS a freaking monster!

that rolling kneebar was pretty sneaky...

Bas has been retired for awhile. He was at a recent seminar in NJ with the KRAV MAGA crew. Bas is awesome as a striker. His combinations would toast anyone! I think part of it is his genetic structure...he's built like a FIGHTER...thick and strong! POWERFUL KICKS and PUNCHEs! He does work on the ground ALOT...he crosstrains with Marcus Vinuiss at the Beverly Hills JJ Club...and he's very adept at submissions. But he does prefer to STRIKE being an ex thai boxer. He's also a funny funny guy...but also an EXTREME badass when he drinks! You can talk to him at www.sherdog.com when he's not out doing seminars! He's funny as shiet.
    A