Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone speak Gujarati or Malu <sp>?

Does anyone speak Gujarati or Malu <sp>?

Ok I got two questions:

1. Is "Sinh" Gujarati for "Lion?"

2. What is "undi" in Malu? I'm not sure I spelled the language or the word right. Ok. It's like uhn-dee in English.

Thanks

IronFist
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

* gets ready to post ' undi ' joke *
    No brag, just fact.

Anyone know?

IronFist

I dunno for sure about Gujarati, but I think Singha or variations on it mean "lion" pretty much all over the subcontinent. I used to know a gal from Gujarat to ask, but she moved away.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

Sinh is Lion in Hindi/Sanskrit cannot speak for gujrati but it remains the same for most languages like CSN said...in english it would be written as *Singh* pronounced as *Sing+ahh* pressuring on HH part of ahh..

not sure about Malu word ?
    well where the hell u come up with those?
    -TkdWarrior-
    Knowledge, Like sex is better when it's free

Thanks.

Yeah I just confirmed that sinh is Lion in Gujarati. Um, but I'm still looking for this Malu word. Here's the funny part, I just looked up a list of Indian languages and there was nothing on there called Malu. Is that a real language, or is it a slang name for another language?

Oh well.

Thanks for the help anyway.

IronFist

u know in india language changes after every 50 km or so... it's so hard to keep up with languages...
    it's possible that there is some slang language even after gujrati in gujrat
    i know that it's not one of main stream language in india may be some off shoot..
    -TkdWarrior-

Thumbs up

If I remember correctly,there are some ?80? languages with a few hundred dialects...probably like this,rather than vice versa.
    Well,Iīm not sure if that is up to date but only language I would be concerned of would be that of hindi.
    Languages like sanskrit may have some use,for intellectual purposes if nothing else.
    The sunsetīs setting down.Lay me on the forest floor.

I do not necessarily stand behind all of the statements I have made in the past, in this forum. Some of the statements may have appeared to support a biased view of reality, and may have been offensive. If you are a moral person and were hurt by comments that I made, you can PM me about it and I will apologize if I find your cause reasonable.
    -FC, summer of 2006-

well the main languages which can be written/read/spoken are about 20 somethings...
    dialects, well they'll go around some 100's as i told u dialects changes within every 50 km or so ...
    i myself can speak/understand
    hindi, punjabi, himachli, harayanvi, kashmiri, bengali, bits n bytes of gujrati, Urdu (out of which himachli, haryanvi, doesn't hav scripts they r mostly spoken dialects)

n yes hindi is official/national language but english too is widely spoken where ever in the country u'll go... u'll find more english speaking than hindi speaking guys because English is one of main way of communication b/w indians(south,east,west,north)
    ie if i need to go to south i need english as i belong to northern part of india n can speak/understand most of northern langauges.

-TkdWarrior-
    Last edited by TkdWarrior; 02-19-2003 at 09:13 AM.

I once heard that Sanskrit would make a perfect computer (programming) language. I'm not sure how that works, but ok. From what I've read of it, it is rediculously complex, along the lines of Russian and Lithuanian.

If anyone knows how Sanskrit relates to computer languages please share

IronFist

11. Thumbs up

Iron,
    Ah,Iīm not sure if russian is that complex (well I guess it could take some shock out of me considering the national relation)
    Shares certain similarities with finnish though,when it comes to grammar (as I see it)
    It should be worth learning.

"well the main languages which can be written/read/spoken are about 20 somethings...
    dialects, well they'll go around some 100's as i told u dialects changes within every 50 km or so ...
    i myself can speak/understand
    hindi, punjabi, himachli, harayanvi, kashmiri, bengali, bits n bytes of gujrati, Urdu (out of which himachli, haryanvi, doesn't hav scripts they r mostly spoken dialects)

n yes hindi is official/national language but english too is widely spoken where ever in the country u'll go... u'll find more english speaking than hindi speaking guys because English is one of main way of communication b/w indians(south,east,west,north)
    ie if i need to go to south i need english as i belong to northern part of india n can speak/understand most of northern langauges."
    OK.
    Huh,thatīs a lot of India centered stuff to keep up with.

I do not necessarily stand behind all of the statements I have made in the past, in this forum. Some of the statements may have appeared to support a biased view of reality, and may have been offensive. If you are a moral person and were hurt by comments that I made, you can PM me about it and I will apologize if I find your cause reasonable.
    -FC, summer of 2006-

I could say a few stuff in Urdu when I was 'younger'. Now I only know a few paki stuff from a friend
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, Iīm just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

Originally posted by Former castleva
    Iron,
    Ah,Iīm not sure if russian is that complex (well I guess it could take some shock out of me considering the national relation)
    Shares certain similarities with finnish though,when it comes to grammar (as I see it)
    It should be worth learning.
    Well, you're opinion may be skewed as you're a native Finnish speaker. For us who learned English, a language without noun cases, languages like Finnish that have 14 noun cases (16 in plural) are considered "rediculously complex." German has only 4 and many people have enough trouble with that.

Then you have a language like Russian where you have to conjugate (that's not the right word but you know what I mean) not only verbs, but prepositions, numbers, adjectives, and that's hard for English speakers. We don't think that way.

Watch, English is relatively easy with reference to grammar:

Nouns don't decline:
    The dog is black
    I bought the dog
    I am walking with the dog
    I gave the toy to the dog

etc.

Adjectives don't conjugate (or whatever) according to gender, parts of speech, or anything else:
    The red house is big.
    The car is red.

These two facts alone make English relatively simple. Spelling is another story, however.

I'm not being a snobbish American by saying that English is easy. I'm saying that compared to languages with gender (two is bad enough, German, Russian (I think), Icelandic, etc., with three genders are even harder), noun declensions, and adjectives that change to match the nouns, then English is easier. And when you're not trained to think that way in the first place it's hard when you go to learn it.

Another language lesson brought to you by IronFist.

Russian is hard. They say that if you had trouble with German in high school, then Russian will kick your ass.

IronFist
    Last edited by IronFist; 02-19-2003 at 03:24 PM.

14. Thumbs up

Lol I remember when I was in elementary,I have been told it was recommended that Iīd move to german studies.
    I did,I HATED it and was a bad student.
    To my fortune,I was able to quit it.

Now Iīm slowly moving with chinese and japanese etc.

Well I think that if youīre serious about your linguistics and learning them,then you may already have some skill up your language processing areas.
    It sucks slightly though that I did not have interest/exposure to previously mentioned languages when I was younger.
    As neuroscientists may whisper,age has just so much to do with your learning process and that schools should,possibly,be encouraged to start teaching linguistics earlier before we...set in cement so to speak.
    Rambling...

-FC, summer of 2006-

TKD warrior is correct...on Singh, Singha etc and variations and its Sanskritic origins. very similar to pali too. The singha or lion is an important symbol in Buddhism as well and was part of the transmission of Buddhism to differnt parts of Asia.
    Singh is an important honorific addition to the names of male Sikhs as well. the women are Kaurs or lionesses.

Singha is a great beer in Thailand too.

There are tribal languages and variations as well as the regular languages and dialects.

Sanskrit can covey complex meanings elegantly and also provided the regular numerals which are mistakenly called arab numerals.
    They were adopted by the arabs abd then absorbed into European languages. Latin didnt work very well in math.
    The concept of zero so important in computation originated in India..