Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Reverse Turning kick, Validity?

Reverse Turning kick, Validity?

I have never been able to perform a reverse turning kick with much power. And, I have never seen anyone who can. Meaning, that I really don't think this kick is worth the energy required to throw it.

Now is where you come in, what do you guys think of it?

terminology please

Is this a spinning back hook kick, spinning outside crescent kick, or what?

I'm not sure which kick you're referring to. Is it like a spinning reverse kick? If so, I'd agree with you.

He's talking about a spinning hook kick, but with the leg straight. As this is a high kick with a big telegraphed motion I don't think it is a good kick, too dangerous for getting jammed and taken down. It is actually a powerful kick however.

It's alot like a reverse hook kick, which spins to the back. Example: if I threw a left leg reverse hook kick, I would spin to my back in a counter clockwise motion and hit the guy in the head. The same is almost true for the reverse turning kick except that I would bypass that side of the head and turning kick his head on the other side. This is all done without putting the leg down.

Actually I'm talking about the "sporting" version. The one Fa_Jing is reffering to, we call a wheel kick.

tkd

No, in that case it's not an effective kick - it's easily jammed or rushed by an opponent.

Re: Reverse Turning kick, Validity?

Originally posted by TKD

Now is where you come in, what do you guys think of it?
    I guess it depends on how you use it. It makes for one helluva nasty throw.
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

I don't think it would be easily jammed as it is the only kick I know of that comes up on that side and attacks the other. Most people would expect a back kick or reverse hook kick when they see that backward spin. In my experience they would move to block that side and leave the other open. My only complaint with it is that it is so weak.

I have to agree with fa-jing and carly. I wouldn't do it. To easy to counter, leaves you vulnerable, and results are questionable, even if you pull it off.

Originally posted by TKD
    I don't think it would be easily jammed as it is the only kick I know of that comes up on that side and attacks the other. ... In my experience they would move to block that side and leave the other open.
    Jamming isn't blocking. He's going to charge right through you, destroying targets on the way.

My si sook got in close to me and kicked me in the back of the head with one(knee bent) and I ended up on the ground afterwards. Just thought i'd share that for no apparent reason.

at first i thought u were referring to a reverse axe kick, which can be pretty quick and very useful.

i've been competing a long time and have never seen someone throw the kick you are referring to in a tkd tournament, therefore i doubt it has much real usefullness in a full contact match.
    however, i'm simply not familiar with it, so i'm not going to criticize it much.

what do u think of the reverse (twist) round kick?

so far, it seems the most innovative tournament kick for tkd has been the double kick (those of u who dont know, it's 2 roudhouse kicks thrown in the air). it has definetly changed the face of tournament sparring.

just some thoughts...

even in competitions this doesn't work much good...
    it can be stopped/counter very easily
    u need just to check the guys hips/thighs to stop the complete motion n throw the guy outta range
    or u can just walk rite thru him

even if for practicing these kicks r not weaks...
    just asking how many yrs u hav spend in TKD?

the problem with this kick is that even in competition u need good set up for that... u need it fast...
    as fajing said it's easily telegraphed.

rick ->it's 2 roudhouse kicks thrown in the air
    wat innovation in this? or u saying something that i m not understanding?...
    i know ppl who hav used side kick then drop/axe n from there it's side kick or snap with heel...some ppl gone for more than 4 kicks without even putting their kickin leg down...
    i can normally throw 3-4 kicks combos(not in competition but in sparring)

-TkdWarrior-
    Knowledge, Like sex is better when it's free

judging from uve talked bout, SURELY u know how to do a double kick... u probably just have a different name for it at ur school. i've been looking all over for a video clip but cant find any tonight sorry.

the double kick is a nickname for this technique. a lot of USTU fighters use this kick in sparring. herb perez is also a fanatic about this kick. it is exectued as such:
    you throw a roundhouse with say the left foot, just as the left foot strikes the target the right foot is immediately brought up for a second roundhouse kick as u simultaneously land on the left foot. am i making sense? it's difficult to put in words but it takes literally 2 seconds to show someone. it's not a hard kick, as most tournament kicks are fairly basic. the spin hook kick being generally the most complex. of coarse, there are always a few hot shots who like trying out a 540 jump spin hook kick in the middle of a tournament match lol.

the double kick has indeed changed tkd tournament fighting (meaning throughout the past 10 years - breaking away from more traditional sparring) as it gave way to nonstop consecutive roundkicks as a means to overwhelm the opponent (before any of you jump in here, i'm talking about tkd tournaments- i'm not suggesting this is useful in a nhb / mixed style fight). after the double is learned, u can turn it into a triple, quadr., etc. etc. and simply keep kicking with alternating leg round kicks till you either fall down or push the opponent out of the ring. of coarse, a well placed spin back kick is a good counter for this, but that's the game. tkd sparring is like playing paper/scissors / rock with kicks (contrary to some traditional methods of attack, block, counter attack - tkd has evolved to attack , counter attack!). both fighters often kick at the same time, the superior kick will counter the other and score. ex: spin back kick counters round kick/ push kick counters back kick. and so on. there are always exceptions, but the basic mechanics are based on a few attack/ counter attacks with the roundhouse kick being the bread n butter of most competitors. indeed tkd probably has some of the most intricate, acrobatic kicks, but it's tournament style fighting is probably among the most basic and economical (as economical as kicking can be anyway). it resembles fencing (very much) more than it does fighting. but here i go rambling again lol.

"even if for practicing these kicks r not weaks...
    just asking how many yrs u hav spend in TKD?"

ur complex writing style is a bit beyond me were u asking me? i've been training tkd for about 13 years, since i was 7... fairly consistently except for a few times when i had to take maybe 6 months off because of injury/ crosstraining and such. i've moved around a lot, and seen some very hard core tkd schools, as well as some very watered down ones that give tkd a bad rep. balh blah i'll stop now lol. it's late.