Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The Science of self-defence!

1. Note that the Elmore hate list contains mainly those out of favor with the gurus of the now defunct Close Combat -" my way or the highway"- board. Even tho some are just variants (Whamsley's combato for example) of the same WW2 combatives they support?
    I have a "hate list?" I wasn't aware that I hated anybody.

I do believe I've commented previously that I find "Whammer" somewhat unpleasant in terms of his behavior online. I have never commented on the validity of "Canadian Combato" as a style.

humorously- did anyone read the posts where guru Ralph Grosso took Elmore to task for starting crap on that board? See Elmore grovel and scrape for forgiveness! IF anyone has that thread copied please send it to me!
    If I had it, I'd send it myself. If I remember correctly, Ralph expressed distaste for some thread or other to which I linked -- I don't remember if it was Hikuta-related or not -- and I apologized for irritating him. If that's "groveling and scraping," fine. I happen to think Ralph's a nice guy and didn't see any reason to annoy him intentionally.

If anyone wants to do a search for Hikuta you will find negative posts concerning Hikuta from Elmore dating to at least March of 2001- many months before he ever saw any Hikuta material - which was around Aug of 2001.
    Any negative comments I made about Hikuta before I viewed the Hikuta material were directed specifically at A) your attitude and behavior and B) the obviously contrived history of the art. I had nothing to say about the techniques of Hikuta (and clearly stated this fact) until after I acquired the DOK Lee book.

Fact: Elmore had his pea brain already made up about Hikuta LONG before seeing any material.
    I had my pea brain made up about you, Jack, but I was willing to give Hikuta itself a chance.

Saw T surfer the other night- he said he surfed into Elmore's site and saw his pic- "He looks like a fat ass psudo intellectual to me" was the comment.
    Surely you are brave enough to make your own insults about my fat-assed pseudo-intellectuality, Jack. Why hide behind your friend?

I always though of him more of a pencil necked geek- so which is correct Elmore?
    "When did you stop beating your wife?"

Fact : feet on the ground Matt Furey has adapted some of the Speed Mans' technique for striking. So is Speed Man really as messed up as Elmore says?
    I have never commented in any way on the "Speed Man," other than to remark that I'd found myself in disagreement with him (specifically, with some of the marketing claims associated with him). I did not say how or why then, nor have I since. How does this in any way quantify a degree of "messed up-edness" to which we could or would assign to him?

Fact: Matt Furey sent a rep ( Robinson I think) to grapple with Systema guru Val V to see if he was for real. Result? Furey is forced to give grudging respect due to butt whooping his rep got. So is Systema really just esoteric BS as Elmore would have us to believe? ?
    I have never said Systema is "esoteric BS." I have never commented on the content of Systema at all, other than to remark that others have alleged repeatedly that some of Vlad's tapes contain some psychic silliness that sounds questionable to any reasonable person. I have obtained several of Vladimir's tapes and will review them eventually; I have not commented on the content or quality of his work apart from reporting the allegations I have mentioned.

Furey was highly negative towards it a few years ago- especially after the "psychic ability tape" - but mentor Gotch said he was the real deal- inspiring Furey to investigate further.
    Which, I guess, prompted the visits from the Ghost of Farmer Burns Past late one Christmas Eve...

Furey is more of what I'd call a true professional- not afraid to admit when he is wrong- although it will doubtless cost him some sales.
    Furey is also an unabashed salesman who does silly things like market "Bush vs. Saddam" in the name of making sales. One presumes this offsets the loss that admitting he was wrong might cost him.

Why do you care so much what I think, Jack?
    Last edited by Sharp Phil; 01-27-2003 at 11:16 AM.
    - Phil Elmore

Publisher, The Martialist magazine

Re: Elmore's Jihad

Originally posted by JacSavage
    If anyone wants to do a search for Hikuta you will find negative posts concerning Hikuta from Elmore dating to at least March of 2001- many months before he ever saw any Hikuta material - which was around Aug of 2001.

Fact: Elmore had his pea brain already made up about Hikuta LONG before seeing any material.

Saw T surfer the other night- he said he surfed into Elmore's site and saw his pic- "He looks like a fat ass psudo intellectual to me" was the comment.

I always though of him more of a pencil necked geek- so which is correct Elmore?

Fact : feet on the ground Matt Furey has adapted some of the Speed Mans' technique for striking. So is Speed Man really as messed up as Elmore says?

Fact: Matt Furey sent a rep ( Robinson I think) to grapple with Systema guru Val V to see if he was for real. Result? Furey is forced to give grudging respect due to butt whooping his rep got. So is Systema really just esoteric BS as Elmore would have us to believe? ? Furey was highly negative towards it a few years ago- especially after the "psychic ability tape" - but mentor Gotch said he was the real deal- inspiring Furey to investigate further.

Furey is more of what I'd call a true professional- not afraid to admit when he is wrong- although it will doubtless cost him some sales.

now it's a jihad. my god, this is pathetic. why don't you just go ahead and say, "if you read sharp phil's reviews, the terrorists have already won." good grief. if this is how far you're going to sink, actually, why not go ahead and skip to the hitler analogies. you know you want to.

stuart b.
    When you assume, you make an ass out of... pretty much just you, really.

3. See what I mean, Stuart?
    - Phil Elmore

so does hikuta work or not?

Furey vs Saddam

that is a great tape!

Humor was great!

Trying to watch furey pull his shots ala like a pro -wrestler was almost worth the $ for it!

He demo's some real world simple catch anyone can easily master.

Best part: he shows the isometic system -which is the heart of his new $600 Gamma fitness-for a fraction of the price.

I at first passed on this - thinking it was just a comedy tape.

Glad I got it now- won't be tempted to buy the Gamma course until it goes to ebay for about a %30 discount.

Gave me a great marketing idea too : "Savage vs fat ass Phil: the brutal(?) showdown!!" Disguised as a comedy tape it will actually show many great techniques! Also some great detective work as cowardly FAP hides in a donut shop in terror and tries to disguise himself by eating his way up another 50 lbs.

I'll anounce the release date soon!

Jack Savage

Originally posted by Sharp Phil
    See what I mean, Stuart?
    yeah, mate. i see what you mean. i have right from word 'go.' i'd just encourage you not to get bogged down in it. if you've written the review, and you stand by it, then bugger this nonsense. i understand that's tough if jack calls you out by name though.

seriously though, this thread is going nowhere worth going. no need for you to go with it.

stuart b.
    When you assume, you make an ass out of... pretty much just you, really.

7. Probably good advice, Stuart. He's practically foaming at the mouth at this point.
    - Phil Elmore

Phil,
    I totally disagree with you about Systema being bunk. How could you say such a thing? But I do agree with you calling Wing Chun a martial art built around patty cake. Gutsy call that one. Whoops did you publish that one yet?
    Last edited by rogue; 01-27-2003 at 12:39 PM.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

9. When did I call Systema "bunk?" And for heavens' sake, when did I call Wing Chun a system built around "patty cake?"

(We Wing Chun practitioners know the system is built around the clamping of goats, and the less said about that, the better.)
    - Phil Elmore

It was in your latest e-book "Fun with Phil", published by Kerwin Venison, in the chapter between Romo Eroticism & BJJ and the chapter titled "Why I Sharp Phil can Kick Marvin Perry's Butt".
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

11. Oh! Okay, I forgot about that because they're out of stock. The publisher said my photo on the book jacket keeps breaking presses, so it's hard to keep that one on the shelves.
    - Phil Elmore

Just kidding with you Phil, but you are right about SCARS being the bomb.

DM

13. Talking Big Gay Al Endorses SCARS and Hikuta

- Phil Elmore

Phil,
    Did Tim Larkin have a falling out with Peterson? In general how SCARS like was his new stuff. What's the story.

And remember Phil, if it's in SWAT or SOF it has to be good.

DM

15. I haven't followed any of the politics, if any. I reviewed some SCARS tapes here and I'm in the process of viewing a series of tapes that comprise a Larkin TFT seminar filmed just before September 11, 2001 (if I remember correctly). The material is quite similar, including such familiar SCARS techniques as that radial arm strike against an incoming punch, the strings of techniques forming fighting combinations, etc.
    - Phil Elmore