ShaolinMaster: Thank you for the updated info. As for 9 island- guess I better get another dictionary. Thank you again.

Beiquan: To clarify about Wing Lam, he first learned southern Shaolin, Hung Gar, and his classmate is Y.C. Wong. When Wing Lam arrived in the SF Area, he joined the Ching Wu School and started to learn Northern Shaolin from Wong Jack about 1967. He was willing to give up his southern style for northern. When Y.C. Wong appeared in the area about 1968-69, Wing Lam joined him in a demo which was promoting Y.C. Wong’s grand opening of his school and southern Shaolin. Protocol was violated in the eyes of Wong Jack and thus Wing Lam was strongly advised to leave Ching Wu. Wing Lam made plans to return to HK and learn from Wong Jack’s teacher, Yim Shan Wu. Wing Lam did not return to the states until 1971-72 and open his own school in San Francisco. Is there still bad blood? I do not think so. Wing Lam has tremulous respect to Wong Jack and Wong Jack has never discusses Wing Lam in a negative matter.

Jaguar Wong: After reading your comment, I am only guessing that the staff that is poked into the ground is the Ground Demon Staff set. I do not know the staff set that rolls on the ground. As a side point, I have always been interested in what were our past grand masters favorite weapons because this would offer some insight about them. Here what I found:

Yim Chi Wen - Long Spear (specifically 24 Iron Spear), hence his name ‘Great Spear Yim’
Kuo Li Chih -Staff
Sun Yu Fung - Saber, hence his nickname, ‘King of Sabers of Seven Provinces’
Li Ching Lin - Wu Tang Swords, nickname ‘God of Sword’
Kuo Yu Chang - Raise Blocking Spear, nickname ‘Iron Palm, God of Spear’
Pa Ching Hsiang- Kwan Do and Flying Fork
Wan Li Sheng (Yim Shan Wu’s first teacher)-Spear - Spear (Specifically Lui Ho Spear), later the Sword (specifically Eight Faries Sword)
Yim Shan Wu-Shaolin Sword (specifically Seven Star Sword), later Wu Tang Sword (specifically Tai Yu Sword)
Lung Tzu Hsiang- Shaolin Sword (specifically Dragon Shape Sword)
Ma Ching Fung-Double Chain, later Wu Tang Sword (specifically Dragon Phoenix Sword)
Wong Jack- Double Sabers (Shaolin Ti Tung) and Triple Staff (Continuous Links), currently Wu Tang Swords

Mantis 108: I learned these two sets and I only asked my sifu about Gung Lic. He told me that the set was part of the ten Standard Ching Wu sets that every member are required to learn. These ten sets were developed in the Ching Wu schools to establish a standard for new beginners to build a foundation for before learning higher sets. The purpose of Gung Lic was to develop internal breathing for external styles because the set was designed to alternates breathing:inhale then exhale with every move, i.e. inhale to block, exhale to punch.

I translated a section from a Ching Wu document that may explain more about the techniques involved in the two sets that you are inquiring.

‘As the chief instructor, Chao Lin Ho developed a curriculum that would be regarded as the standard Ching Wu sets. In one of his lecture papers he wrote: “Our Chinese Wu Shu (Martial Arts) is composed of many styles. Long ago, sifus were very selfish. They kept their own styles very secret, teaching no one their real kung fu except for a select few disciples. Eventually good styles died out. Huo Yuan Chia organized the Ching Wu Ti Yu Hui in Shanghai for the express purpose of creating a National Martial Arts free from stylistic jealousy and secrecy. Good techniques from the co-operating styles were grouped into ten Ching Wu hand and weapon sets. These ten sets will be the standard sets for our school.

1. Twelve Rows of Tam Tui
2. Gung Lic Kung (Work - Strength Fist)
3. Jeet Chuan (Weaving Fist)
4. Big Battle Fist
5. Eight Trigram Saber
6. Shepherding Staff
7. Five Tiger Spear
8. Tam Tui Sparring
9. Set Fist
10. Saber verses Spear

Within these ten sets are elements of numerous styles from throughout China. It does not stress one style over another nor any particular region. Those techniques which are considered good and useful were included. This program takes two years to complete. Any instructor who wishes to teach at the Ching Wu Physical Cultural Association must learn these ten sets.

Any student who completes the ten fundamental sets may proceed to other styles. The ten sets, in encompassing good elements of many styles, will give the student a knowledge of principles of Martial Arts in China.” ‘

Mantis 108:As far as some of your Praying Mantis classmates knowing some Ching Wu sets, it is probably because many praying mantis sifus either taught or learned at the many Ching Wu schools in China and incorporated some of the standard Ching Wu sets into their curriculum as in the Northern Shaolin Eagle Claw schools of Lau Fat Man. As head instructor of Ching Wu, Chao Lin Ho hired four instructors, who became the Four Elders of Ching Wu. They were Chen Tzu Ching of Northern Shaolin Fan Tzu Eagle Claw. Lo Kwang Yu of Northern Praying Mantis (Seven Star), Wu Chien Chuan of Wu Style Tai Chi and Keng Kai Kuan of Hsing -I.

Also Chao Chu Chi (Chiu Chuk Kai) of Tai Chi Praying Mantis taught at a Ching Wu school and hence, he has incorporated at least one set, saber verse spear, into his curriculum.

Ironpig: 12 row tam tui was developed by Chao Lin Ho who was a Chinese Muslim. 12 row Tam Tui was not practiced or developed by the Shaolin monks.
:) :cool: