Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Self Defense: Practical or Paranoid?

1. What is paranoia? It's generally believed to be a state of suspicion about your fellow human beings that is out of proportion to the actual threat they represent.

Is being prepared for an emergency even though that emergency is relatively unlikely a question of paranoia?

I have an article in the current issue of KnifeForums Magazine called Safer in Suburbia. It's all about the types of survival gear you can carry on you, in a briefcase, in your car, and stored at your home in case of natural emergency, civil unrest, crime, and so forth. There is every chance that most of this gear, which I haul around personally, will never see use.

But I'd rather be prepared than unprepared.

Self-defense -- and, more broadly, preparations for unnamed and unspecified emergencies -- is all a question of hedging your bets, gambling against chance. You can't win every bet, but you can cheat as much as possible.

Last edited by Sharp Phil; 01-06-2003 at 01:41 PM.
    - Phil Elmore

Publisher, The Martialist magazine

2. I keep a 1" x 24' maple dowel
    A 24 foot maple dowel?
    - Phil Elmore

Publisher, The Martialist magazine

Yenhoi, I knew you were paranoid from the beginning man

Slayer, holy geeze!! You must live in a rough neighborhood or something!

i dont have anything - tlak about peer pressure from you guys

i have a statue of a drunken monk on my window facing out so it protects it from intruders!

oh - but i do have 4 bricks by my bed that i use for hard qigong training so i guess they casn count as weapons lol

dawood
    Peace is not the product of terror or fear.
    Peace is not the silence of cemeteries.
    Peace is not the silent result of violent repression.
    Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all.
    Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity.
    It is right and it is duty.

I have f*ck all. Not really scared. If anyone broke in I'd let 'em have whatever, I'm insured. I really doubt anyone'd try to kill me over a TV, a PS2 and a 1990 Fender Stratocaster in Alpine White with a maple fretboard. That's all I really have in my room at Uni, save for empty beer bottles and a sick stain on the carpet.

If I lived in a rough area I might. Next year I'll probably be living in a crappy student house with a shotgun under my pillow and anti-personel mines under the floorboards.

F*cking hell.
    "Martial Arts will help lead to d@mnation – Yes, d@mnation!"

-Bible Truths.

don't worry about it dezhen. all i've got is a really large bottle of Tums. but they are extra strength, so...
    When you assume, you make an ass out of... pretty much just you, really.

I have a Corgi who gets cranky when you wake him up and he often sleeps at the end of the bed so that I may not need the stick.

8. Wink

Yeah,corgi...
    If you have NOT trained him too much,he might just happen to take a few shots at intruderīs calves...then dodge the incoming kick.
    Traditional fashion.
    The sunsetīs setting down.Lay me on the forest floor.

I do not necessarily stand behind all of the statements I have made in the past, in this forum. Some of the statements may have appeared to support a biased view of reality, and may have been offensive. If you are a moral person and were hurt by comments that I made, you can PM me about it and I will apologize if I find your cause reasonable.
    -FC, summer of 2006-

I'm pretty sure Xebs would kill DS for his PS2.
    Your intelligence is surpassed only by your ignorance.

You are more likely to fall down the stairs and break your neck if you live in a house with stairs. You are more likely to be in a car accident if you drive to work. You are more likely to be kicked in the nuts or punched in the nose if you practicing the martial arts. - Judge Pen

Originally posted by red5angel
    I have a Corgi who gets cranky when you wake him up and he often sleeps at the end of the bed so that I may not need the stick.
    okay, now you're just showing off. a corgi and a stick?!

When you assume, you make an ass out of... pretty much just you, really.

Yeah, that dog is so sturdy, I figure if I don't have the stick I can hit them with the Corgi. He might not even wake up!

Like dezhen I got nothing and don't plan on getting anything.

Most of my MA weapons are stored away, but than there are still plenty of other things to fight with.

I also normally never carry when I go outside, just not needed.
    And if I do I follow my Sifu's advise:

"If you carry don't look as if you are doing so. And don't be overconfident and rely on what you carry."

Allright guys, I just had to go in my bedroom and check. I have within reach of my bed:

1. Two arnis sticks
    2. a bokken
    3. army knife
    4. A foot long metal bar
    5. two stacks of weights, one iron, one vinyl covered concrete. (good for throwing at pesky intruders)
    6. enough dust bunnies under the bed to take out a small army

D a m n, I didn't know I was that paranoid!!!!

Blog Entries
    YOu're all making me paranoid, now!! I just checked my bedroom, and all I got is a cat toy that could serve as a mini rope dart. That outta give 'em a good laugh before they splatter my brain against my bedrest with their gat.

Cody-
    What is your response to what I said about fear?

The 10 Elements of Choy Lay Fut:
    Kum, Na, Gwa, Sau, Chop, Pow, Kup, Biu, Ding, Jong

The 13 Principles of Taijiquan:
    Ward Off, Roll Back, Press, Push, Pluck, Elbow, Shoulder, Split, Forward, Back, Left, Right, Central Equilibrium

And it doesn't hurt to practice stuff from:
    Mounts, Guards, and Side Mounts!

Austin Kung-Fu Academy

Originally posted by ewallace
    Not paranoid, it's being prepared. Personally, I'd like to keep a surface-to-air missle launcher under my bed, but the ATF generally frowns on having such tools in the hands of folks like me.
    LMAO! Im seriously thinking about trading in my 9mm for a AK-47. Thats close enough for me!
    Check it out, E.
    http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/rifles.htm#AK47
    1. Know the positions
    2. Hold positions
    3. Escape the positions
    4. Move from position to position
    5. Learn the attacks
    6. Counter the attacks
    7. Time on the mat
    a. drilling
    b. sparring
    8. Repeat (thanks R.D.)