Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Second Hand Smoke

I am waiting for a smoker to make the comparison between deaths caused by smoking and deaths caused by drinking. The argument is inevitable
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

I always remember something my dad used to say (paraphrased):

"You are a smoker. I accept that. It's your vice. A by-product of your vice is smoke. It gets into my eyes, my hair, my lungs and my clothes. I find it distasteful. However, I accept this. Now, I'm a drinker. A by-product of drinking is urine. So, I'm sure you won't mind when I p!ss in your eyes, hair and on your face and clothes."
    Adam Stanecki - Practitioner of common sense.

"Think for yourself. Question authority." - Timothy Leary

Fluid Fitness - www.fluidfitness.com.au
    Dominance Mixed Martial Arts - www.dominance.com.au

Oh yea...

Well smoking is far better than drinking because...hmm
    1) Smoking too much normally doesn't cause accidents ...unless there is too much smoke in the car...and if there is, for god sakes roll down a window.
    2) I never smoke goggled a woman
    3) Smoking doesn't need to be oxidized...sort of
    4) You can take a smoke break at work, not a drink break
    5) And speaking of which, smoke breaks are free breaks! Yea ha all you non-smokers
    6) I never slurred my words due to smoking
    7) never stumbled down the stairs because of my smoking (missing the stair b/c there was too much smoke...another story altogether).
    8) Smoking is cool, look at Holly Wood, all the real bad asses smoke!
    9) Drinking and smoking sometimes go together...sorry kinda lost my train of thought
    10) Smoking only hurts me (and the people in the room and my finances, etc. etc.)

Ha! Debate started.

My take:

The government doesn't have a right to say whether or not you can smoke. It's your own body and your own choice.

The government DOES have a right to say WHERE you can smoke, because secondary smoke is a health risk.

Your right to swing your arm ends where it contacts my face. Your right to smoke ends where it affects other people.

If you're that against smoking, then don't go to places where people smoke. If someone smokes in a no smoking area, smack 'em upside the head. Walking down the street!? Get OVER yourself!
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

This is a hijacking!

Everybody stays down and no one gets hurt.

I'm ****ed, and since this thread is already off topic, I'm taking it over.

Why the **** do people get dogs they can't and won't take care of? I know a couple people who got a dog a few years back. Now, they never took this dog for walks, and it's a big dog that doesn't have much room. They didn't really pet the dog, they never cuddle with the dog, they rarely play with the dog, and, to top it off, THEY DON'T LIKE DOGS.

It's a mother and son, the son is grown, and they just wanted a dog to be his childhood companion and to watch the house.

Well, now the dog is old and has bad allergies that make her stink, so they don't pet her at all, because then their hands would smell, and of course they don't play with her, and she's miserable. She's not miserable because she's got allergies, she's miserable because no one really cares about her in that house.

Real conversation I had with the owner yesterday:

ME: You bought the dog, it's your responsibility to take care of her.

HER: I take care of her.

ME: In the five years I've known you, I've never once seen you pet her.

HER: I pet her. Anyways, she smells.

ME: Tough.

HER: Okay Mr. Perfect.

ME: No, I'm mister "If I don't start seeing you make some sacrifices for your dog, I'm calling you in".

HER: I sacrificed my home for her.

ME: That's not a sacrifice, that comes with the territory. You buy a dog in this area, you've got to have them in your home part of the time, that doesn't mean you also don't have to show them affection and not ignore them for three years at a pop. I've never heard you do much but yell at the dog and complain about it.

HER: Well, she seems to love me just fine.

ME: It's a dog. They're the most loving creatures on earth. She'd probably love you if you beat her. That a dog loves you doesn't necessarily say anything about you, other than that you've got to earn it.

HER: Well, I'm not gonna do it just because you told me to.

ME: Well, seeing as how I always somehow end up taking care of your dog, you better start.

God, people **** me off sometimes. At least she doesn't throw the dog in a cage while she's at work. Someone needs to throw *******s who do that in a cage for four hours twice daily and see how well they behave.

I'm sick of people buying dogs because their children want them, and never educating themselves and their kids on how to take care of dogs. It's like entertaining our children is the highest priority in the world, not teaching our children about responsibility and common decency. Hey kids, let's go to Disneyland and learn absolutely nothing about anything. Wouldn't that be fun?

I would use a blue eyed, blond haired Chechnyan to ruin you- Drake on weapons

Just think. These people also raise children. Can you say social services.
    " Better to be a warrior in the garden than a gardner at war."
    "Ni hao darlins!" - wujidude
    "I just believe that qi is real and good body mechanics have been masquerading as internal power for too long." - omarthefish

I hate people who don't take care of their dogs too. I worked at the SPCA for a while. You'd be surprised at how many stray dogs come in there who have been trained. A lot of them can sit on command. Some of them knew several tricks. So obviously someone was taking care of them at some point. They just decided they didn't want them anymore and set them loose. I could never do something like that.

Lisa,
    She hinted one time about how she didn't want the dog anymore. I knew with a dog that age with those problems what that meant. I was so incredibly mad at her, so she felt it best to change her mind.

I agree with Father Dog. The gov't shouldn't be able to keep you from doing anything to yourself in the privacy of your own home. However, you have no right to force people to inhale cancer causing agents because you're addicted to it. Smoking in public places will eventually be banned. Many cities have already done so.

Second hand smoke outdoors is a joke. No one's gotten cancer from smelling smoke outside. Some of those "public" places are outside, and that's rediculous. I can buy not having it in a restaurant or what have you, but outdoors is pretty frikkin safe, and frnakly, you're more likely to get cancer from car exhaust outdoors than people smoking.

However, this is about dogs and people. People who see pets as a good thing to buy for their or their kids entertainment are shallow and selfish jerks, and I'm more mad at them than the smokers right now, so this hijacking will continue until my demands are met.

My demands:

1) A simple set of Draconian laws that allows the public beating of bad pet owners.

2) The formation of the "KC Elbows fund" to rescue and retrain abused pets.

3) And end to MMA vs. TMA threads

4) Clarification as to what the heck Gene is saying on that Deadhead Shaolin thread in the bottom forum. Something about truckin, then I don't know.

5) A 500 word essay on the causes and problems of excess earwax from all the KFO members.

6) A "Got Qi" keychain, preferrably the one that is in the shape of a boxing glove.

7) A George Foreman Grill and a Juicer.

8) A brief historical dissertation on the roots of the expression "of course"

9) A "no nitpicking" clause added to Braden's contract.

Until then, I will not budge from my stance, and will take myself and this entire thread down in a blaze of animal cruelty hating flame, whatever the heck that means.

Since the thread is getting a little off topic I might as well throw this in. What really pisses me off is when I finally find an enpty bathroom at work and I start to do me duty and some dumb butt plops down in the the stall next to me, the worse part is when there are three stalls and they have to go in the one right next to me instead of the furthest one apart. I know this is a ridiculous rant but it makes me mad.

KC,

I like number (6)
    Last edited by Cipher; 10-29-2002 at 12:08 PM.

I agree with KC Elbows, especially demand #4. That Deadhead thread is ... odd.

Of course my agreement may be an example of Stockholm Syndrome.
    Me fail English? That's unpossible!

KC's List

KC, get a list of people who don't take care of their dogs(Or any other pets), and I'll fly out to wherever they are and set em straight, I'll take care of the smokers, too, while I'm at it.
    "I'm here to wipe the floor with your ass, and you know it, and everybody here knows it, and you deserve it."-Duncan, "Some Kind of Wonderful"

"I used to be with it, then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems wierd and scary to me. It'll happen to you!!!" -Grandpa Simpson

"Once while walking through the mall a guy came up to me and
    said 'Hey, hows it going?'. So I grabbed his arm and twisted
    it up behind his head and said 'Now whose asking the questions?'" - Jack Handey

"There's no doubt in my mind that we should allow the world worst leaders to hold America hostage, to threaten our peace, to threaten our friends and allies with the world's worst weapons."George Bush—South Bend, Ind., Sept. 5, 2002