Thread: New Guy Has Some Q's

currently San Diego, ca, but am going back to Washington

Question New Guy Has Some Q's

Hello, my name is marcus, and I am new to Shao Lin Kung Fu.
    I have some questions, and i hope you can help me with them.
    1: I have applied at a Shao Lin martial arts academy, and would like to know what I should do to prepare myself for the task at hand. I am in good shape, but not a big gymnast. Are there exercizes i can do to increase my flexibility, and as well, increase my ability to perform flips, and such?

2: I am proficient already in some of the weapons, such as the 9-section iron whip, and the 3-section cudgle, but would like to know what type of movements i should study/observe for staff, and sword. Or do they follow the same basis?

3: Are there any schools in the US that teach Shao Lin style, and if so, are there any on the west coast? If I am accepted in the academy, I plan on staying for a few years, and then comeing back, and hopefull passing on what i have learned to someone else.

4: How much wood would a woodchuck chuck, if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

Thank you for your time, and any relies would be greatly appreciated.

marcusG

Where ever I Am; today, West Virginia, US of A, NA, N of EUdMexico
    Blog Entries
    4. A woodchuch would chuck, Chuck, as much wood as a woodchuck could chuck, if a woodchuck could chuck wood.

3. West Coast? I No_Know off hand (palm that is, Buddha's palm)

2. They follow the same basis~ but length difference makes for differently used (along with different design and intent). For staff and sword study people walking with a cane, blind people walking with a cane for staff and grab a broom where the broom meets the brush. Do an uppercut; brush of your other side shoulder once (palntoward shoulder); do a backfist uppercut; do it all again in that order but less tense the wrist more let the pole weight drag some (yet keep control) this is the cutting sword.-by Ernie Moore Jr. :~>

1. Lift your one leg then the other and say "one". do it again and say "two" in stead of "one." Repeat only using the next consecutive number. When you get to saying in the counting, "two hundred" do something else.

Stand with hands on hips (or at waist) Then bow to the East, without raising the bow, bow to the North. Without raising the bow, bow to the West. Without raising the bow, bow to the South. Without raising the bow bow to the East. Keeping the method bow around again and again. Eventually reverse the direction.

This is perhaps a start.
    Last edited by No_Know; 08-20-2002 at 05:03 PM.
    There are four lights...¼ impulse...all donations can be sent at PayPal.com to qumpreyndweth@juno.com; vurecords.com

You know 9 section whip and 3 section staff but you don't know staff? I think you're having us on.
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

washington

What part of Washington are you heading back too?

Unhappy New Guy Has Some Q's

I appologize for the way I phrased my question about the staff and sword. I have never had real formal training, but the training that I have had, my instructors felt it was better for a student to build in the forms/weapons thta came natural to them. Well, in my case, he handed me a weapon, showed me something, and then for 10 minutes, I would use that weapon. We did this for about a week, and the 9 section iron whip, and the 3 section staff came more naturaly to me than the solid staffs/spears/etc so those are the weapons that he focused on in my training. I know that I cannot be the only one out there who excels in some weapons, but sucks ass at others. That is why I asked about the staff and sword. Although they are essentialy the same type of movements, there are small nuances of the forms that I cannot seem to grasp. I appologize for having been so vauge in my questioning/reasoning, and I was not trying to put any one on.

As for the 3rd reply, I am returning to Tacoma.

In my understanding, weapons are categorized according to their predominant features.

Some weapons are more advanced, while those weapons that are considered fundamental to weapons training i.e broadsword and staff do have complexities in the advanced versions of their respective sets.

Whip Chain and 3 section staff are considered "flexible" weapons.
    These two are also considered advanced weapons because of the specialized nature of their use.

so, frankly Marcus, it is unusual that you would begin with these weapons and not the fundamental ones. Kinda like building a house from the roof down.

anyway, the nature of weapons are similar in their own categories but not generally across the board except in a very aggregate way, such as the fact that they are weapons and seperate from the self.

So we have blunt, bladed, long, short, double, flexible and variational or combined weapons as categories and the training for each category carries the principles of use across the weapons within the category and in some cases the mechanics of a weapon will carry into another category.

The shape and physical characteristics of a weapon usually dictate their effective use and physics employed to use them effectively.

In the end, whip chain and three section staff do not have features or functions that will universallly map across to staff and broadsword. For instance there are even weapons within categories that do not have wholly similar principles. An example being how a Jian or Gim is used very differently from a darn do or Chinese broadsword. Yet both of these weapons are in the same category.

It is important to focus on the task at hand in any kung Fu training and to not look for shortcuts. You may happily discover shortcuts when you have a firmer understanding of a weapon, but to set out looking for them will only serve to slow your understanding of them as opposed to beginning at the beginning and ending at the end then moving on to the next.

peace
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Angry For who need to know my life story....

Ok, I really don't know how to get you all to understand that I had no formal training, and that those were the weapons that I was taught. If I had a video of myself, then maybe you would listen. I am not here to bull**** any of you, and quite frankly, after all of the things I have told you about my limited training, as well as my poor instructing, I am still amazed that I am still being grilled and doubted. I asked for some help, and it seems that I only get it reluctantly after exspressing doubts about what weapons I know how to use. I would not submit anything just for the joy of seeing how many gulible people would beleive me, and to be quite honest, I take offence to it. Another reason that I am proficient in the 9 section and 3 section, is because one of my former girl friends while I was in high school was poleniesian, and tought me how to use poi balls. They are the exact same things, only they are not all metal. And they are on fire. So, now you have an even BETTER understanding about my past history with these weaons, maybe you can stop trying to poke holes in my case, and actually help me with the things I asked. If not, then I thank those of you who have given me some insight to acomplish my goal. I am not trying to reach a shortcut. I am trying to put myself into a position/posture that, although maybe not for the smae reasons, uses the forms of the other items, so I can feel it like they do. Just like becomeing the animal whose form you are using, thinking and moving, and acting like they would, why should I only learn the staff or sword for fighting? Why should I not learn to be someone who always HAS to be using it for everyday items? That is what I am seeking to acomplish, and I hope that there are those out there who can help me with that. I a, leaving in 2004 to go to the Northeren China Shao Lin Martial Arts Academy, in northern China, and will be trained by Shao Lin Layman Monks. I would like to go there with at least a firmer understanding and grasp of my forms/weapons, so I can excell in my training. If none of you beleive me then fine, but those of you who understand what I am saying, then please lend me some insight so I can achieve MY goals in life.

Thank you for your time.
    marcusG
    Last edited by marcusG; 08-24-2002 at 05:13 PM.

dont get your feathers ruffled marcus. folks on forums can be pretty ridiculous sometimes. youll find that only a handful of people will give you quality responses, most will attempt to use you to feed their own ego's. now, that said, anyone who studies cma knows that flexible weapons are considered " advanced" in any system. so it's understandable that people question you when you say that you know them but you have no formal training?

however, to go back to your topic here, sign up for wushu classes when you get to tacoma. there are some very good schools in washington. you may not be aware of this, but although training in china will be a great experience for you, many of the worlds great teachers have left china for the U.S. Canada and Australia. so find some good instruction locally. to get the most out of your experience in china, you should have a solid basis in the basic wushu forms and techniques. also, university of washington and washington state have wushu clubs, go check them out, you may be able to train, but maybe not compete as a non-student. also learn the taiji short form, its the shortest and most popular one, this will give you a start in the internals, which are an integral part of wushu as a whole.
    in a nutshell, you need to get started on the basics-good luck!
    The thorn protects the rose and harms only those that would steal it's blossom

marcus-

My intent was not to cajole you. The message was that for each weapon you learn, the path will differ in the training regimen.

Also, do not try to map principles across from one weapon to another, simply train the weapon at hand for what it is and in the framework that physics and ability allow you to manipulate the weapon.

Your former training shouldn't come into the equation, simply because you are seeking something new. Take the something new for what it is and focus on it without looking for shortcuts that you may feel will work from previous understanding. While sometimes this may work out, most times it does not and you could very well wind up wasting time where you could be learning.

peace
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Talking theneuhauser

Thank you for your advice. I have already begun the taiji 24, and am learning the 108. I don't supose that you know of any wushu schools in the tacoma area of washington, do you? That is one of the things I was wondering about, but I just asked about shaolin schools on the west coast. I do realize that a foundation in wushu would help me when I take my trip, and I thank you for reminding me about it.

Kung Lek, I did not mean you specificaly, and I realized that you were not trying to cajole me. I realy do thank you for your thoughts and ideas, and will try to make my NEW learnings just that, new, and not trying to conform to my old ways.

Once again, thank you all for your thoughts, and thank you for your time.

marcusG